RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

KK4JUG, I was wondering the same thing. I was going to answer his post with a smart#$@ post as "yes, we can talk over the CB channels". But didn't.
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Scanned the CB channels while on my trip down to NM this weekend. There was some traffic. It seemed that, at least this weekend, it was full of people who learned to talk watching the movie Convoy.
Old 05-17-2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
I was just wondering, do truckers still actively use CB radios? Do most trucks still have these radios?
Friend lives near a truck stop. The truckers are chatting day and night!
Old 05-17-2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
Scanned the CB channels while on my trip down to NM this weekend. There was some traffic. It seemed that, at least this weekend, it was full of people who learned to talk watching the movie Convoy.
I travel across the country on business. 11 meter activity has definitely picked up over the last year or so.
Old 05-17-2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
And if you know Spanish. There's a lot of Mexican truckers in CA still actively use CB. If you are up by Bakersfield, CA, Ch 10 is always busy. But 'Mi Espanol es No Bueno'
Many illegals are using it on both sides of the border!!
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Many illegals are using it on both sides of the border!!
Yes there is especially when skip starts rolling, (it's not all illegals, most of it is from Mexico itself) in my location you'll hear a lot of the Mexican taxi cab companies. (Still want to learn Spanish, so I can talk to that one with the great sounding voice, lol) as it rolls in and rolls out.

In fact, just I was typing this I heard one of the Mexican wannabe broadcasters that use CB like a broadcast radio station. The skip has been in and out all afternoon. I kind of like the fact that the Mexican traffic is on each end of skip. Gives me a heads up to start paying attention or leave the channel.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-17-2017 at 6:31 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 6:17 PM

In fact, my receive contacts today were all over the board. (Rocky Mountain Radio, Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach, Washington/Oregon State, Northern Cal, and San Diego, just to name a few). San Diego is actually a rarity for my receive, it's easier to get Hawaii or Florida than 300 miles south when skip is rolling.

My transmit isn't enough to get out when the big boys start keying up but I enjoy just listening.

Yes, I am proud to be an Elephant, (Big Ears) beats being an Alligator (all mouth, no ears).

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-17-2017 at 6:25 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
KK4JUG, I was wondering the same thing. I was going to answer his post with a smart#$@ post as "yes, we can talk over the CB channels". But didn't.
Definitely, you can. Plus, with the decreased local traffic us 'Radio Bubba's' welcome the idea of 'the more the merrier.'

The only thing we ask is to leave your FCC rule quoting and 'Chicken Band' trash talk on your bands. Especially, if you are doing it while transmitting at Big Power thinking your Ham license legally allows you to do it.

Plus, I personally would appreciate it if you use the same rules and etiquette as others. Believe it or not, the remaining CB aficionados actually have an etiquette.

These are not your personal frequencies to come on so as not to clutter up Ham freqs or act like a child because someone will turn you in on your freqs.. On AM no sweat, just try to leave 11, 19 and 28 alone. Esp, Ch9 although there really isn't the monitoring like it used to be 20 years ago, but some of us still scan that freq since it is still considered the Emergency Channel.

But especially, on 38LSB (the unofficial SSB calling channel) when the skip is rolling, talking as if it's your personal channel isn't cool and then ***** about the beehive in your ear. Yes, I have 2 licensed Hams that come on and chit chat as the skip is rolling. Their High Power and 1 hour conversation, trashes any chance of me making a contact.

Plus, if you are doing stupid crap at unauthorized power out, don't use your Ham Call Sign. For that matter don't use it at all. It doesn't impress us.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 05-19-2017 at 4:33 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 7:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

swen_out_west
Be careful how you use the word "you" in your posts. I don't post malicious things about the CB band; as a matter of fact many of us don't. A lot of us got are start in the 11 meter band actually.
The statement you quoted me posting was taken out of text. I was referring to his question "How about Sound over CB?" What the ell else comes over the speaker of your radio?! "Sound" He didn't give any added info to explain what he was asking.
I got my start in CB back in '69, and never regretted it. To this day I still use 11 meters WITHOUT any amplifiers.
So, be careful of how you use "you".

Last edited by KC4RAF; 05-19-2017 at 7:46 PM.. Reason: added who this was addressed to
Old 05-19-2017, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
swen_out_west
Be careful how you use the word "you" in your posts. I don't post malicious things about the CB band; as a matter of fact many of us don't. A lot of us got are start in the 11 meter band actually.
The statement you quoted me posting was taken out of text. I was referring to his question "How about Sound over CB?" What the ell else comes over the speaker of your radio?! "Sound" He didn't give any added info to explain what he was asking.
I got my start in CB back in '69, and never regretted it. To this day I still use 11 meters WITHOUT any amplifiers.
So, be careful of how you use "you".
And furthermore, I think he's in Tasmania so there's no telling what it means there. And, he hasn't come back to explain, either.
Old 05-19-2017, 8:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah, many times I've read his posts and scratch my head wondering just what he means! If he would stop and read what he's written before posting, he might see what we're getting at.
This just made me remember yesterday afternoon when I fired up the 11 meters. It seems that somebody opened the door to Central or South America. It came in at about 1:30is and lasted for about 30 to 45 seconds I'd guess. It was strong signals and then just as fast it was gone! Before and after, nothing of much. I have experienced that type of signals bounce in a long time.
Old 05-22-2017, 5:36 PM

hey there's a few guys like me just getting into 11 meters. I'm still expanding my 'unlicensed' use of the 11 and in ssb, but mostly stay in 10 on AM. I had to use cb for work and got interested and have been on my journey of expansion. I moved into a galaxy the other year and now have a texas start 500 (somethingorother) amp on layaway at the radio shop I like to frequent. I'd like to eventually have an 11 meter base station at home. Sure ham interests me but I'm scrimping to buy my cb stuff, ham is way far out of my league financially

But most of the guys I talk too about cb at work here in the ohio valley and such are past enthusiasts who uninstalled their linears and big 102 inch whips within the last five years and here I am getting them installed.

I drive up 77 and 79 in wv and ohio and pa and I hear some chatter on 19. I like to listen for traffic tips and call any out that I come across. There's not tons of chatter but let the weather get bad and there's tons of informative radio traffic. But it is rare that I get to have actual conversations with people or help people out at length about conditions,etc...

if anyone else bumps this thread can anyone tell me the history of how channel 19 became the "official trucker channel"?
Old 05-28-2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gniederb View Post
if anyone else bumps this thread can anyone tell me the history of how channel 19 became the "official trucker channel"?
It's just one of those things that evolved.

It could be that the old radio's and I mean old (Pre-23 channel radios) were 19 channel.

It could be that 19 was far enough from the old 23 channel SSB use of 16 LSB, by gentleman's agreement.

It could be that 19 is in the middle of the CB freqs, since most cb's get tuned to 1 and 40. ( I actually go with this because, it used to be 19 was east-west and 21 was north-south. 20 being the center of the band and 19/21 being the best common point for both.)

Anyways, did a google search and saw a bunch of truckers talking about this same subject back in 2011.
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr....162080/page-2
Old 05-28-2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
It's just one of those things that evolved.

It could be that the old radio's and I mean old (Pre-23 channel radios) were 19 channel.

It could be that 19 was far enough from the old 23 channel SSB use of 16 LSB, by gentleman's agreement.

It could be that 19 is in the middle of the CB freqs, since most cb's get tuned to 1 and 40. ( I actually go with this because, it used to be 19 was east-west and 21 was north-south. 20 being the center of the band and 19/21 being the best common point for both.)

Anyways, did a google search and saw a bunch of truckers talking about this same subject back in 2011.
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr....162080/page-2
Thanks mate, good read
Old 05-28-2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Channel 19 is actually the center of the band, because of the gaps in the band that are allocated for RC use.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Channel 19 is actually the center of the band, because of the gaps in the band that are allocated for RC use.
Which adds fuel as to 19 being the winner, when the use of dual trucker freqs went away. Bottom line is it's all the reasons put forward in that thread. Some hold more weight than others, but together they answer the origins of Breaker Breaker 19.
Old 05-29-2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
because of the gaps in the band that are allocated for RC use.
here for railraod thinks.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Channel 10 was the de-facto "Trucker Channel" until Channel 9 became the official Emergency Channel. 16/17 was usually SSB, and 23 had a lot of interference, especially close to Hospitals. Not sure "why", but, 19 became the Trucker Channel.

Oh...to the original question: CB seems dead in many areas, while pockets of towns still use it, however when the band opens up it sounds like a bees nest because there are so many CBer's on-the-air, so I would say CB is less used daily, with thousands of user put in "STASIS" until some sort of band opening happens, then they are out in force.

We've had a stalled front in Texas for awhile and I've picked up DX every day along the South East coast, and occasionally North (Chicago / Michigan)

Last edited by TheStonerGuy; 07-07-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
It was always 23 channels before it went to 40 channels. Only real difference was there were many transceivers that only had a few channels maybe 5, 7,10 or so. They were crystal controlled and the crystals (2 for each channel) were expensive. Some radios had 23 channel receive with a VFO but only a few transmit crystal slots. Often a crystal plug in was on the front panel for quick changing.

Long before the trucker thing got started up on CB (a result of the 55 MPH limit and the gas crisis), channel 19 was the main "skip shooters" channel. It probably just evolved into the truckers channel since that is where many were hanging out anyway.

Channel 19 was highly popular back in the 23 channel days and it was not the center of the band back then.

Quote:
a lot of interference, especially close to Hospitals.
Diathermy machines. A nearby hospital could wipe out CB for you for hours at times. I lived near one back then. It was common as interference mostly up into the early 70's so far as I know. It was very strong and floated up and down the band covering many or most channels at one time. It is one of the reasons that 11 meters was never a very popular ham band back in the 50's.
It sounded something like a very LOUD somewhat harsh dial tone on a phone.

Last edited by K7MH; 07-08-2017 at 1:15 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Cb truck stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Friend lives near a truck stop. The truckers are chatting day and night!
Ah yes,but in what state and town?