• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 148glt-dx

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
A coworker told me he has a cobra 148glt-dx in his garage collecting dust. After mentioning that he should put it in his truck which he wont do im thinking of buying it off him.

Now after reading the manual im more confused then ever. Did at one point the FCC really allow fm and cw on cb or is this a radio designed for another contry?

tripplenickel

If the $$$$ is reasonable, go for it. I bought a Cobra 25 in yard sale last year with the Mic that had water damage, which I thought I could use it for parts if nothing else, I offered $1.00, yes $1.00 and he took it. I brought it home and put in on the bench, plugged it up and it works perfect, so you never know what you get. JMHO, good luck. BTW, I also have a Cobra 148 gtl I bought new, I would not part with it because I like the way it works, always ready to talk.

JayMojave

Hello All: "I think" the Cobra 148 GTL DX Radios are very close to the Magnum S series radios, as being 10 Meter radios, having AM SSB FM and CW.

Looking at the wiring schematics of these radios its real close. I have a Magnum S9 10 meter radio, works great on SSB and AM, haven't tried FM tho. CB Tricks.com has the wiring schematics.

I am looking for a 10 meter radio that can do the Transmit / Receive 600 Kc split for repeater use.

One of the most important things a radio can have in it, is the Noise Blanker, driving down the road listening to a quiet receive is a must, as the Magnum S9 has a great Noise Blanker (NB) in it.
Good luck.

Jay in the Mojave

Oldme

From what I have read, could not verify:
Galaxy 979, 949,959
Uniden grant XL
Texas Ranger
The cobra 148
Are the same circuit board, some different controls.

also

Realistic Navaho TRC-458 AM/SSB CB base
Uniden board same as TRC 458

Uniden Zachary T
It is the same radio as the Cobra 1000 GTL base station,
also the Dwight D. They use the same motherboard.

Only a few board manufacturers out there that sell to CB and few
apparently invests ion their own manufacturing process.

Pleas add or correct as experience tells us.

LoyalServant

Same circuit board yes, differences do exist in the implementations in more than just the controls.
Component added here, removed there, etc.

Good enough that one schematic can be used for most all of them for the basic bits.

Regarding the 148s...
There is a reason that those radios even at 20 and 30 years old are going for upwards of $150 which is more than your new micom based Unidens.
They are proven radios.

If you put those cheap Uniden radios in a truck next to a 148 ... and the uniden dies from being rattled to death.... the 148 will be going strong.

Will take a 148 over those any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

LoyalServant

The Uniden Grant XL and the old Cobra 148 are the very same radio. Both made by Uniden very same board and parts. The 148-DX is not the really the same as the 148.

148DX, no it's not the same....

Subtle differences do exist between a Grant and a 148... compare schematics... you will find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.