• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with BigStick antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

stump165

I have a big stick cb ant. Iam trying to get it to work, ive tried everything i can think of i keep getting a ground. Ive checked the coax . Can anyone help me on this.

bmwed

I have a big stick cb ant. Iam trying to get it to work, ive tried everything i can think of i keep getting a ground. Ive checked the coax . Can anyone help me on this.

I have the same antenna "Shakespeare Big Stick". Works fine, check the resistance between the centre connector and ground, mine reads open. I have heard that they can short out .
Regards
Ed

sloop

The big stick antenna is all antenna, NO GROUND. The connector that it screws into should be insulated by nylon washers from the mount so nothing touches the antenna but the center wire of the coax. The ground (outer wire braid) of the coax connects to the mount/car frame for the ground. If the antenna connector is not insulated from the mount then the antenna will be shorted. Hope this helps...if not a picture of how you mounted the antenna might help others figure out what your problem is.

prcguy

Does the OP have a mobile or base antenna problem? The name "Big Stick" usually refers to the 18ft tall Shakespeare base antenna.
prcguy

The big stick antenna is all antenna, NO GROUND. The connector that it screws into should be insulated by nylon washers from the mount so nothing touches the antenna but the center wire of the coax. The ground (outer wire braid) of the coax connects to the mount/car frame for the ground. If the antenna connector is not insulated from the mount then the antenna will be shorted. Hope this helps...if not a picture of how you mounted the antenna might help others figure out what your problem is.

SCPD

QRT
This antenna has a coil and capacitor in the bottom section about a foot below the bottom section and top section junction.. weather and age have had effets on some of these componenets and changed them to where the antennas resonanace has changed. Mine was resonant at 25.9 plus minus 300khz....

Electrically you could take a 105 inch element put into the top center of a pl259 tee and add a 1/4wave stub to the side of the tee and connect the coax to the bottom of the tee. There is information about the Big stick prototypes on the net...

I pulled my donated antenna down and use a wire vertical dipole.

GOOD LUCK INTHE CONTEST !!!

JayMojave

Hello Stump165: Not a expert on this but maybe I can offer some help.

The Shakespeare 18 Foot Base antenna has a few different configurations I believe. Shakespeare sold Marine and land base antennas, even back in the 1960's. So there maybe differences out there.

Helping a friend out many years ago, his Shakespeare Antenna had a high VSWR and didn't get out like it use to. Replacing the top whip antenna didn't fix it, but changing the bottom part did fix it. What I suspect was that he running too much power into it, and some how damaged it.

By cutting it open (in a outside area with a fan blowing the fiberglass dust away from you) length wise may reveal how's its designed and allow better coax to be installed like RG142 or RG400 these are Teflon Insulated Mil-Spec Coaxes. The bottom section could be repaired with new fiberglass cloth and fiberglass resin. That's a lot of work for a older antenna, but doable. Please post pictures if you do this.

When the Shakespeare ABS 1800 came out they advertised it to handle 4 KW, they had a problem with some connection inside the lower section of the antenna, and then dropped the line I believe.

So a little power to the tower might be over doing this antenna. I think you would have to cut open the base or bottom section to see how's it wired. I haven't heard any fix all, fix on this antenna.

Suggest you call Shakespeare Antennas and see if a Engineer or Technician could help you for a repair. They still sell the 18 Ft Marine Big Stick Antenna.
See Welcome to Shakespeare Electronic Products Group | Shakespeare Electronic Products Group

Good luck, let us know if you can get it fixed. It would be good to know what they say......

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

tripplenickel

Sloop is correct. There is a small plastic type washer (discontinued) in the very bottom that will over time crack. Take it out and inspect real good. If it shows any sign of a crack, use some gorillo glue and coat it real good but keep the same shape. Let it dry overnite, take some 100 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and sand it smooth, reinstall and you good to go. Mine is over 25 yrs old and going strong, SWR below 1.3, JMHO ggood luck. Forgot to mention, DON'T OVER TIGHTEN COAX CONNECTOR @ ANTENNA BASE!!!!!!

Last edited:

freebird63

Sounds to me like a Shakespeare pogo stick, it had a coil at the bottom. It was a great antenna, I had one that I mounted on my truck up in the hills. There should also be 3 small radials that are screwed into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.