• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Superbase - no modulation...ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroradio

I just picked up a very nice GE Superbase.

- receives well all channels both AM and SSB.
- is transmitting a carrier ( used an external meter as well as checked with the radio meter )
- Tried the original mic - suspected it was non servicable so I wired up a D-104.
NO Modulation on either microphone.

Anyone have any idea on if this was a common problem and were to start looking?

Dawn

Does it transmit in SSB?
Hooking up a speaker to the PA, do you get amplifed audio?

First steps to try.

Retroradio

Dawn,
With no modulation it is not tx in SSB....Will double check.
I forgot to try the PA. I will do that tommorow and post the results.
Thanks for the nudge.....lol

Retro

Retroradio

Simple fix after all. There was no modulation when set to PA. Therefore I played with the Speech compression switch and if it was held just right and I stood on one foot....( you get the picture....lol)
Ta-Da modulation.
I sprayed the switch with a cleaner/lubricat and have great modulation now with the stock microphone. The D-104 just feeds back with no modulation. I used the wiring diagram thats online for the 6 wire mic. I have verifed the wiring so I am going to try a Turner +2 next and see. I really dont like stock mics.....

Overall this is a very nice radio cosmetically and seems so far to be performing well. I am going to do a comparison test between this and a uniden 980SSB just to see how it stands up.

Cheers!
Retro

Dawn

Glad to hear you got somewhere. That's been the case of most older radios that have set up I've found. Particularly the NC audio return contacts on the PA jack. A tiny dab of deoxit D-10 to clean off the tarnish on contacts and a little exercise takes care of the problem. If you every run into the problem with a relay or make/break leaf spring contacts like in a mic. A drop or two on the end of a dollar bill is usually good enough without having to resort to a burnishing tool that affects the plating.

Retroradio

Thanks for the tip. Oddly coincidental as I have a D-104 G and a Turner +2 in pieces right now in front of me.... D-104 was an internet buy and I just discovered it looks to rewired and looks to have the 2 end lugs on the wiiring lug plate snipped off. ( Doent match the astatic guide.)
The Turner just needs to be wired up for the Superbase. I am digging through the radio archives for this stuff! I am trying to find the best combination for this radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.