• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Freebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I currently run a Galaxy DX 33Hp2 that has been converted. Aside from the standard CB band, where else might I hear other transmissions on this radio?

What are some of the popular freebanding, skip talking frequencies?

K7MEM

Probably, converting it to CB is the best thing you could do, to make it even partially useful. Although, as everyone has pointed out, using the converted unit is illegal.

But, be that as it may, I find it curious that they bother with all the lies about being a 10 Meter Amateur Radio. This radio was never meant for operation in the 10 Meter amateur band. How many ham transceivers do you know of that have a channel switch, echo, and PA? And only included AM and FM? Other than converted CB transceivers.

From the info I could find on the unit, out of the box it is listed as covering 28.145 to 28.575 MHz. 28.190 - 28.300 MHz is a beacon band. That's good for checking propagation but pretty useless for making contacts. The rest of the coverage area, 28.300 to 28.575 MHz, is SSB. The unit doesn't transmit/receive SSB. What exactly is a ham suppose to use it for? Well, other than parts.

IMHO, don't waste your time with that unit. Sell it and get something better. Maybe even a ham license.

Martin - K7MEM

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Even receivers need to be FCC approved in the United States. ONLY amateur transceivers are exempt, but they may only operate within amateur frequencies to maintain their exemption. It's technically not legal to even be in posession of one of those Galaxy "CB/10 meter" radios.

bill4long

Even receivers need to be FCC approved in the United States. ONLY amateur transceivers are exempt, but they may only operate within amateur frequencies to maintain their exemption. It's technically not legal to even be in posession of one of those Galaxy "CB/10 meter" radios.

You are incorrect on a couple of points. Receivers commercially manufactured for sale, distribution or importation are required to have part 15 certification, which is required for any device whatsoever that is capable of radiating even a tiny signal. Otherwise no such certification is required. You can build your own receiver, no certification required. And there is nothing contra any regulation if you take a part 15 certified radio and modify yourself for your own use to receive other frequencies.

As for Galaxy "CB/10 meter" type radios, it is only illegal to manufacturer for sale and distribution within the USA. It is not illegal to possess them. The regulations only pertains to sale and distribution, not mere possession.

"ONLY amateur transceivers are exempt, but they may only operate within amateur frequencies to maintain their exemption."

By "operate" you cannot mean receive, given that most HF rigs receive continuous 500khz to 30mhz, therefore the reference is irrelevant. And lots of HF receivers are available that have no transmitter that can receiver 500mhz to 30mhz.

So, like I said, not illegal to listen to anything in the "freeband" zone.

If you don't believe me, call the FCC and ask them.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Back in the day

Good points! But isn't it illegal to listen in on cellphone frequencies?

Back when cellphones were analog, a federal law was modified that indeed made it illegal to listen to cell phones. This is why so many scanners and ham radios have a portion of the 800 Mhz band blocked. Now back when cellphones were analog, the most poorly kept secrets were how to unlock the scanner to receive cellphones. I don't remember the model number, but when I bought my handheld Bearcat scanner, it came with pictures which showed which diode to cut in half with a set of dykes to receive analog cellphones.

Now that cellphones are digital, I don't believe (other than things made for the government of course) it is possible to hear cell phones, even if you could unlock the scanner.

bill4long

Back when cellphones were analog, a federal law was modified that indeed made it illegal to listen to cell phones. This is why so many scanners and ham radios have a portion of the 800 Mhz band blocked. Now back when cellphones were analog, the most poorly kept secrets were how to unlock the scanner to receive cellphones. I don't remember the model number, but when I bought my handheld Bearcat scanner, it came with pictures which showed which diode to cut in half with a set of dykes to receive analog cellphones.

Now that cellphones are digital, I don't believe (other than things made for the government of course) it is possible to hear cell phones, even if you could unlock the scanner.

It's possible, but digital cell phones use RC4 ciphers to encrypt. Not impossible to decrypt, but you have to be extremely motivated and have a lot of resources. Not worth the time and trouble. And it's highly illegal. I wouldn't even think about going down that road.

KD8DVR

That may be logical, but it's not the law.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be the law. I consider those who possess such equipment to be illegal operators. This has also been proven by many hams who have caught gear jammers operating illegally on 10 meters.

But.... my opinion. Not in the enforcement business here.... just an opinion.

Last edited:

bill4long

In my opinion, it doesn't have to be the law. I consider those who possess such equipment to be illegal operators. This has also been proven by many hams who have caught gear jammers operating illegally on 10 meters.

Again, totally irrelevant to what the law specifies. Possession is not unlawful, neither is using them to receive.

S1deband1t

Welcome to the FUN world of Freeband

I currently run a Galaxy DX 33Hp2 that has been converted. Aside from the standard CB band, where else might I hear other transmissions on this radio?

What are some of the popular freebanding, skip talking frequencies?

As indicated before, 27.555mhz is the calling channel but lately there's been alot around 27.485 and 27.385 (which is the LEGAL channel 38 CB radio).

I personally run a RCI-2985 DX with extras....24mhz up to 32 mhz with increments of 100hz. I don't waste time talking on "channels", I talk on "frequencies" (between the channels). Though I never interlope on any HAM bands, I will take full advantage of freebanding frequencies. Having the full 8 mhz coverage and being able to talk in increments of 100hz REALLY opens up more space to talk. Instead of going higher and higher in frequency, you just slip "in between" the QRM on 2 adjacent channels.

Not only having SSB but also FM is pretty cool too.

But it all depends on your area for the actual frequencies which are best. Sometimes I can't hear anything and someone 1 state over is QSO'ing 2 dozen stations in 10 minutes. Sometimes I get told by Oklahoma or Texas that I am "blowing smoke" through their receiver and I am the only contact in the area.

Propogation's the name.

jodoak

Premium Subscriber
Legal / Illegal, I really don't think any of it applies to either CB or Ham in our present day. Very, very few people have been arrested or even fined by the FCC that are working CB frequencies, free-banding or even abusing ham frequencies. Just no money for the FCC to have broad spectrum over-watch. It is basically the user who is going to decide if he or she does is lawfully or not.

The underlying issue, is both camps, CB radio enthusiasts and Ham enthusiasts throw around communications that in many forms criticize each other.

Unless you interfere with some governmental or private communication hubs that impact public safety or military concerns you may never hear from the FCC.

Case in point is the many people who work the CB channels 6 or 11 with ever increasing watts just to see who can be heard over the other with no common sense of communication efforts. This has been going on for a long time and more than like will continue for the foreseeable future.

I firmly believe, no matter if you are using CB Frequencies or Free-banding, as long as you use the radio properly/respectfully you will enjoy the benefit of what the airwave provide, a means of communicating with other people wherever the skip takes you.

cmdrwill

I firmly believe, no matter if you are using CB Frequencies or Free-banding, as long as you use the radio properly/respectfully you will enjoy the benefit of what the airwave provide, a means of communicating with other people wherever the skip takes you.

You ARE still in Violation of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.