• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TRAINS/CHNL 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8krh

I was reading about a safety device for trains and using a transponder which will send a signal out telling the railroad boys all is safe on the locomotive. The transponder is on CB channel 13, in which this is the CB Band, I wonder if the FCC would do anything to this situation or ignore it. If nothing done, the regular communication channels will be taken next down the road., watch out.

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/mobility/us/en/Events/railway-interchange/Documents/SIE_BRO_ACSES.pdf
DOCTOR/795

Last edited:

ecps92

Is there a link to this story/article ?

Are you sure it is CB??

As Amtrak is/was experimenting is PTC, but using the AMTS channels around 10 and 13 , NOT CB 13

I was reading about a safety device for trains and using a transponder which will send a signal out telling the railroad boys all is safe on the locomotive. The transponder is on CB channel 13, in which this is the CB Band, I wonder if the FCC would do anything to this situation or ignore it. If nothing done, the regular communication channels will be taken next down the road., watch out.

DOCTOR/795

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

DOCTOR/795
Are you sure its not AAR Ch.13 on Vhf your referring to? 73, n9zas

k8krh

I just posted the link, and I understand it is channel 13 on CB, the cb guys I know in Pennsylvania say it is on channel 13, wiping the channel out the ops are CB and Ham operators.
DOCTOR

gewecke

Banned
Upon reading the link, I suppose if you're close enough to the tracks you could hear the transponder data , but I would think they'd be pretty low power so no big deal. 73, n9zas

ecps92

Hmmmm - interesting
See page 5 of his link

Antenna & CTV

The antenna & CTV provide a field proven means by
which transponders can transfer information to the ACSES
on-board computer.
The antenna is mounted under the vehicle and is connected
through the CTV to the ACSES on-board computer. When
the vehicle is in motion, the antenna is turned on and
continuously transmits a sweep frequency of 27.115 MHz
downward to the tracks.

Antenna and CTV Operation

When the train passes over a transponder, the 27.115 MHz
carrier powers the transponder, which allows it to send a
4.5 MHz signal back to the train with coded information
representing the restrictions ahead.
In order to properly channel the electromagnetic field
radiation, the antenna features mechanical and
electromagnetic protection plates on all its surfaces,
except the bottom one where the electromagnetic field
is transmitt

Are you sure its not AAR Ch.13 on Vhf your referring to? 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Bill, if you read above I did read the link he posted. Yes that was interesting. But I doubt that carrier would create that much interference unless you were located close to the tracks where a transponder might be. :wink: 73, n9zas

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Don't take this as expert information, but at one time a number of very low power items were in the 27 mHz range. Such as cordless mouse, cheap model remote control toy cars. Just loved pressing mic button when on Channel 14 and watching kids start moving their remote all around because their remote toy car stopped. Unkeying the mic brought more excitement.

gewecke

Banned
Don't take this as expert information, but at one time a number of very low power items were in the 27 mHz range. Such as cordless mouse, cheap model remote control toy cars. Just loved pressing mic button when on Channel 14 and watching kids start moving their remote all around because their remote toy car stopped. Unkeying the mic brought more excitement.
Yep, I remember those days as well! Cb's played hell with rc controlled aircraft too. :wink: 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

This is absurd!!! How could those fools put such an important device on CB frequencies??? What will happen when some insane CBer causes a train wreck???

gewecke

Banned
This is absurd!!! How could those fools put such an important device on CB frequencies??? What will happen when some insane CBer causes a train wreck???
It won't happen because data radios don't have receivers. They can't be affected by cb's.:wink: 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
I think railroads are going to start using remote data radios for locomotive control even more so in the future, since they effectively limit the amount of hands on, maybe even to the point of costing jobs. :( 73, n9zas

byndhlptom

27MHZ data radio

"When the train passes over a transponder, the 27.115 MHz
representing the restrictions ahead."

It is using the 27MHz signal to power the transponder, it is not sending any data on 27MHz. CB transmissions would only trigger a 4.5MHZ data burst (only if close enough with needed power level).

"It won't happen because data radios don't have receivers."

Data radios do indeed have receivers (and transmitters too!). Most use modem type tone shifting (FSK) for the data. The newer ones are digital, but still have TX/RX.

$.02

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Judging by the pictures, the thing only has to have a range of about a foot.

This system isn't totally different than the ID chips that are put in dogs (although they work on 100 KHz). The reader sends a signal which powers up the transponder and then the transponder sends data back. I have one of the animal readers ( I raise llamas, and they have chips in them for ID as well). My reader runs off of 4 AA batteries and they almost never need replacing, Based on battery life, I assume the power is quite low. This train sytem is probably similar, with power levels definitely sub-100 mW.

Also, the antennas for these kind of things are small and very directional loop antennas. For the train system, it is under the engine and pointed downward. That is hardly the best antenna setup if one wants to work DX, that's for sure.

I would be surprised if one could pick on of these up on a mobile CB more than a few feet away.

BBB007

Emphatically YES. The carrier is enough to disrupt all communications within a 5 mile radius on 27.115 MHz AM (Ch13) depending on elevation of the tracks. In our case this is 300+ ft above sea level on top of a ridge. I am 15 miles from the tracks and I hear it.This is not right. Folks saying it will not interfere must not have been exposed to this railway RF location system yet or do not fully understand the hardware involved.

Your frequency may be next unless something is done to prevent this pirating of our citizen band frequencies.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
"When the train passes over a transponder, the 27.115 MHz
representing the restrictions ahead."

It is using the 27MHz signal to power the transponder, it is not sending any data on 27MHz. CB transmissions would only trigger a 4.5MHZ data burst (only if close enough with needed power level).

"It won't happen because data radios don't have receivers."

Data radios do indeed have receivers (and transmitters too!). Most use modem type tone shifting (FSK) for the data. The newer ones are digital, but still have TX/RX.

$.02
Again, MOST data radios, such as scadaware for example, are only transmitters. Needed receivers are usually a separate device. 73, n9zas

BBB007

Next time I'm near a train running it, I'll record it. It is strong enough to cause "full quieting" and has a modulated audio tone that varies between 650Hz-800Hz. Thanks for your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.