• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
I asked on CB but nobody would give me an answer so I try it here again...
I have an CB Radio an want use Packet, Data and Text.
So what does I need for? Someone say a Sound Modem?

a417

Wouldn't it depend on local laws? I'm pretty sure he's somewhere in ITU Region 2, so his locale might not have rules against it.

technically answering his question, he would need a sound source and a radio that is capable of transmitting the data type / emissions type he is trying to do. If he has a CB radio, and can feed audio from a program like MultiPSK out thru a soundcard into a mic line - he's technically got what he needs. He'd have to address audio levels, isolation and voltages, but he's probably aware of that.

Your_account

Banned
Are you sure that you can legally transmit anything but voice on the CB channels?
YES! Some People does it here but the are to stupid to give an understandable answer.
he would need a sound source and a radio that is capable of transmitting the data type / emissions type he is trying to do. If he has a CB radio, and can feed audio from a program like MultiPSK out thru a soundcard into a mic line
Yes for example: ROS 7.3.2 but how to connect my Pc to the Radio?

gewecke

Banned
Hey
I asked on CB but nobody would give me an answer so I try it here again...
I have an CB Radio an want use Packet, Data and Text.
So what does I need for? Someone say a Sound Modem?
Keep trying to ask in Austria because its not legal here, and there's little interest in packet or data at all if any on 11 meters. We're not the people to ask about this. :wink: 73, n9zas

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No it's not legal here, but in Austria...

Actually there's a ton of soundcard based software for almost any (unencrypted) mode out there (depending on specifically what modes you are interested in). Your biggest hurdle will be interfacing the radio and PC. Some folks I know build their own soundcard interfaces, and there are plenty of such designs on the net. There are several pre-built modems, such as the TigerTronics unit (stay away from MFJ stuff....).

Finding the correct pinouts for your interface will require a good bit of digging, I'm sure, as I doubt we're talking amateur service radios here (I could be wrong about that..).

Specifically what mode(s) are you interested in? Mike

Your_account

Banned
Keep trying to ask in Austria
Nobody give an usefull answer.
because its not legal here
"here" is the Internet not an specification Country.
Your biggest hurdle will be interfacing the radio and PC.
Yes thats the problem!
Finding the correct pinouts for your interface
i dont know its an Albrecht Radio.
I'm sure, as I doubt we're talking amateur service radios here (I could be wrong about that..).
The Modem dont depend on the Freq so....

ecps92

Maybe they are not giving a useful answer, because it is illegal and they don't want to talk about it ?? :cool:

Nobody give an usefull answer."here" is the Internet not an specification Country.Yes thats the problem!i dont know its an Albrecht Radio.The Modem dont depend on the Freq so....

a417

which Albrecht radio are you using?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved to the CB forum - the OP is in Austria, so US rules don't apply. Hope you get some useful answers now.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since you mentioned packet, here is a page I found with Google. Although really written for US Hams running this mode, there's a good bit of useful information on the left, including working with the popular AGWPE software...

Where to find Packet Activity

Mike

n5ims

The "most reliable" way would be to use a hardware TNC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_node_controller) or Terminal Node Controller. While new, they can be expensive, on the used market they can be quite inexpensive (I got a pack of 5 for $40 US at a local ham fest). You hook the computer to the TNC, generally using a standard RS-232 serial port) and then the radio's microphone, PTT, and speaker connections to the TNC using the radio interface. You configure the TNC for packet mode, tune the radio for the desired channel and you're ready to go. You may also require adjustments to the audio levels, but this should be expected. There are newer ones that use a USB connection instead of a serial port, but those often cost more than the serial port versions.

There is also a way to use your sound card as a TNC. Often this requires a serial port to handle the PTT function as well. A Windows version of this is explained here --> Introduction to Sound Card Packet with AGWPE <-- which should be required reading for anyone that wants a sound card TNC. There are both free (with only basic features) and for-pay versions (with extended features). The free versions has on-line support using various web sites and groups but due to the age of the software, these may not be all that current. Chances are the issue(s) you need help with have already been discussed by others so this probably won't be that much of a problem.

I won't discuss the legalities, mostly because I don't know the laws in Austria. Using FM, which I believe is allowed in your country, you can generally use 1200 baud while on AM/SSB you will probably be limited to 300 baud connections. This is mostly due to the clean audio you get on FM while on AM/SSB there's lots of noise and static that will interfere with the signals.

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'd go the hardware TNC route... You can pick up a TNC-X kit for about $50 US... They have Serial and USB ports so connecting them to modern computers (that don't come with COM ports) is easy. PIC-Based TNC

Plugging the unit in to the the computer is a snap. You'll need to get a terminal program going on your computer so you can talk to the TNC. Terminal Software - The World of Free Packet Software Amsterdam

After that, just wire it to the radio. Hook up the audio out from the TNC to the microphone input on the radio and the audio in on the TNC to the external speaker jack on the radio. You'll also need to run a line to the PTT. The easiest way to do this is find a MIC connector that fits the radio and wire that up.

One question though... If you can't find anyone locally who knows anything about this, who will you be communicating with using digital modes on the CB band???

Your_account

Banned
which Albrecht radio are you using?
AE 5890 EU
there's a good bit of useful information on the left, including working with the popular AGWPE software...
and very confusing and something make no scene.
The "most reliable" way would be to use a hardware TNC
the point is how to connect the Soundcard with?
on the used market they can be quite inexpensive (I got a pack of 5 for $40 US at a local ham fest).
ere are some but no reachable without a Car and or a Hotel.
You configure the TNC for packet mode, tune the radio for the desired channel and you're ready to go.
So how to handle the different Protocols?
There is also a way to use your sound card as a TNC.
Yes that is what i need. I need to use "ROS 7.3.2" (or an later version). You can unpack the Software with Uniextractor. The installer install some sht...
Using FM, which I believe is allowed in your country, you can generally use 1200 baud while on AM/SSB you will probably be limited to 300 baud connections. This is mostly due to the clean audio you get on FM while on AM/SSB there's lots of noise and static that will interfere with the signals.
The use SSB for and I could send with ~12W.
Hook up the audio out from the TNC to the microphone input on the radio and the audio in on the TNC to the external speaker jack on the radio.
the dont have any?! Only an Port for the Mic.
The easiest way to do this is find a MIC connector that fits the radio and wire that up.
But from who?
If you can't find anyone locally who knows anything about this, who will you be communicating with using digital modes on the CB band???
There are people who know about but the dont tell my anything. Maybe the use Amateur Radios?! I cant hear anything with my SDR becouse my stupid dad use ****ing Powerline Adapters.

I will use ROS because "everyone" use it here.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
>Quote:
>The easiest way to do this is find a MIC connector that fits the radio and wire that up.

>But from who?

Try this link: Let me google that for you

You're going to have to find what pins do what on the MIC socket of your radio then solder wires onto the microphone connector and solder wires to a plug that goes into your external speaker jack. If you use a sound card interface, you're going to have to know how to set the input and output levels on your computer.

Respectfully... Everything you need to know about packet is included in the answers above to your original question. If you can't even find a MIC connector on your own, this project might be a little too much for you.

See if you can find someone who would be willing to do this for you.. Even for a small fee. If not, then I think you're out of luck.

Your_account

Banned
http://service.alan-electronics.de/...brecht-Standardmikrofon-4197-auf-AE5890EU.pdf
albrecht_ae5890eu_mic_wiring.png

Try this link: Let me google that for you
404...?!
then solder wires onto the microphone connector
i have no equipment for and never do that before.
and solder wires to a plug that goes into your external speaker jack.
and the PTT?!

a417

For starters, if you really want to do digital modes in lieu of voice, cut the head off that mic and use the wiring, if you can't locate another plug. If it's easier to get computer parts than radio parts, you could put an ethernet connector on it and a RJ45 jack on the radio side, then it's a matter of connecting pins as needed.

If you can't solder them on, due to either experience or materiel issues, you could twist them together and then use tape. Not the greatest, but it should work.

If i'm reading that schematic correctly for that unit (from http://www.cbradio.nl/abrecht/Schematic_Albrecht_AE5890_EU.pdf ), you'd be grounding pin #3 of the mic connector to get TX.

The audio appears to go into pin #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.