• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Making Unusual Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone turned their porch aluminum railing into an antenna?

I live is a condo and obviously have no place for my 18ft base station antenna and I want to find a way to turn my aluminum railing into a working antenna.

Any ideas?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not possible. You'd have to cut the railing to get it to resonate at the proper frequency, add insulators between the railing and its supports, and you'd get crappy performance because the railing is horizontal rather than vertical.

You'd piss off the HOA for an antenna that works poorly.

Pointless.

kf4eyr

or you could run a coax to it and use a antenna tuner but risk getting into every ones electronics,,,,,there always is a way but it would be just a compromise ,,, there are antennas designed to be used on railings but none will be efficent,,,,

sloop

Never say never...We use to load a window screen (it was metal) with a 100 watt tube transceiver and an antenna tuner from a tank and talk to Germany on 20 meters from our 8th floor dorm room. There are several problems though.
1. rf burns if anyone touches it
2. very directional, the building will act as a reflector behind the railing.
3. with 5 watts you would probably be better off with an antenna made for limited space
4. more than 5 watts on 11 meters you run the possibility of all types of interference and distortion.
I'm afraid that no matter what you use if the antenna is not above the building # 2 will affect you.

TheSpaceMann

Better off to just build a dipole or a ground plane! You should be able to fit either one on a deck, and you could easily disguise them if necessary! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.