• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Sirio Gain Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielvi

I didn't find any thread about GM so I'm making one.

If it's there allready, sorry, I'll erase this one.

The mast is 8,8 meters (28'), stuck in the soil and grounded. The base of antenna is about 3 meters (9') above a metal roof and the tip somewhere at 15 meters (49').

I wonder how the metal roof is affecting the radiation of antenna. (On CB band)

I'll apreciate any help.

Daniel

Attachments

• SGM.jpg
    SGM.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

jquittum

Premium Subscriber
Mine arrives tomorrow. Still working on how to mount it.
I'd be interested to hear how yours is working.

danielvi

I've set up the GM 2 days ago, very easy to mount and nothing to tune, from the box SWR of 1,4 K40 and 1,5 K1. I could "pull" an 1,1 with an Z-11-PROII but I don't think it worth it.

I grounded the mast even the seller said I don't have to. (less noise maybe ?)

The test that I made was at 16-18 Km from GM with some hills and valleys between.

Before the GM I had a Moonraker GAP-F 5/8 in the same position, everything been the same the GM gave me at least 1 S more than GAP-F and on some places even 2 S.

I think a growth of 6 to12 dB compared with the Moonraker it's not bad.

I'll continue to test and I'll write more if you want.

Daniel

jquittum

Premium Subscriber
I do have a mast in place, but the upper portion is already occupied. I'll only be able to get the feedpoint of the GM about 8' above ground to start out. I'm hoping it will still work better than the broadbanded discone occupying the top of the mast.
I would certainly be interested in any more observations you make.

JayMojave

Hello Daniel: Your antenna installation looks good, the antenna is high enough that the metal roof probably doesn't have a hole lot of effect on the antenna.

Be advised: When a metal roof/building itself isn't grounded right or is grounded right, when static electricity is in the air, and charges the metal roof/building, a path of current can flow from the roof/building thru the antenna mast to ground. This causes a static noise in the receiver, that is difficult at best to identify.

A good friend went crazy trying to trouble shoot and fix this type of problem. Taking down the antenna and cleaning it, and double checking the antennas dimenations, and replaced the coax. All to no help.

What was found that the metal roof wasn't grounded and charged up with static electricity, then the static electricity current flowed from the metal roof down the mast into the ground causing this static electricity noise induced into the antenna and heard by the radio. The fix was to ground the metal roof, and insulate the antenna mast from the metal roof. This doesn't happen very often, but is possible. Hope you don't have such noise during heavy weather conditions.

I believe this type of noise is called snow noise.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpnHgWswqc

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.