• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Simple base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo101

Moving to a location next to busy interstate and would like to monitor CB radio, Am looking for a simple plug in model that will sit on a desk, any one have a model i should be looking for?

Thanks

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
If you're real close to the highway and not looking to
spend much, this is what I would do;
Either a used Cobra 142GTL radio. You can get them, fairly, cheap on eBay
They're a nice radio and don't need a separate power supply.
OR
A used Realistic Navaho TRC-490 TRC-431
These also can be found cheap on eBay. I had the TRC-30A (23 channel) and loved it
I got the TRC-490 after that and loved it so much that I still have it somewhere.

These are not power house, nor highly sought after radios. I only suggest them
based on cost and having built-in power supplies. I know there were more with
built-in supplies but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Also, all that is based on wanting to keep your budget LOW!
If you have money to spend, HANDS DOWN Cobra 2000 GTL
(one of the most highly sought after CB's still)

Blackswan73

All the Cobra 2000 is, is a Cobra 148 with a built in power supply and some fancy external meters. Also, the Washington and Robin 520 is the same radio as the 2000. My advise would be to get a Bearcat 980, and a cheap 3 amp power supply.

KC3ECJ

All the Cobra 2000 is, is a Cobra 148 with a built in power supply and some fancy external meters. Also, the Washington and Robin 520 is the same radio as the 2000. My advise would be to get a Bearcat 980, and a cheap 3 amp power supply.

3 amps is not sufficient to transmitt a with a 980. Tried it with a pyramid 5 amp, not enough. Play it safe and have at least 10 amps.

Blackswan73

All any solid state base is is a mobile and a power supply in a single cabinet. In fact, one of my favorite"base" radios was a Robyn SX12 module with a Ranger 3500 slid into it.

sdeeter19555

Dang, buy a used Cobra 29 and a used 10A power supply, throw a wire antenna up and enjoy.

That's as cheap as you are going to get. No need for a base radio...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nutes

Premium Subscriber
SpaceMan and others on here are all good advice and they really helped me set up my base station a year or so ago. I bought a used Navaho TRC 433 on Ebay for about 60.00. It is in real good shape and had been cleaned up and had no dents, scratches etc. I hooked that sucker up to a homemade Copper Tubing Antenna on my roof and I am able to monitor CB action clearly from 7-10 miles and communicate to about 6. Otherwise, buying a new cheap Cobra at Walmart and then running it to a power supply is probably your next best option. "In my humble opinion".

k8krh

Just buy a RATSHACK plug in on ebay, if your just monitoring use a 102 inch whip put it on a garbage can lid, that's all you need.
DOCTOR/CEF 795

TheStonerGuy

Simple Base Station

If your goal is to just monitor (receive) channel 19, Midland had a 76-300 (Cobra has one very similar) which has all 40ch. (AM only). You can pick them up used on EBAY for about $40, and if you're not going to transmit, just get a back-of-the-rig antenna, and you'll be all set.

Otherwise, search Ebay for a used Radio Shack 40ch walkie-talkie - TheStonerGuy

Attachments

• Mid_76-300.jpg
    Mid_76-300.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.