• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do I mount a 102-inch long whip antenna to a travel trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
What would be a good way to mount a 102-inch long stainless steel CB whip antenna to a travel trailer?
Thanks for any suggestions

kc0bus

Mostly a matter of convenience. It's just more convenient to have it already mounted to the trailer. But I see your point. I don't necessarily have to have it mounted TO the trailer. I guess I could have it fastened to, say, a portable tripod for example resting on the ground or some push-up mast or what not.

blakews2217

Mostly a matter of convenience. It's just more convenient to have it already mounted to the trailer. But I see your point. I don't necessarily have to have it mounted TO the trailer. I guess I could have it fastened to, say, a portable tripod for example resting on the ground or some push-up mast or what not.

Mind telling us your setup? How you plan on doing this? Pics maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBMTS

Most travel trailers today are of the wood or fiberglass design. You won't have any kind of ground plane to work with as would on a metal frame vehicle. Plus you could put unwanted load onto the trailer walls caused by the wind bending the antenna. This could cause other problems to structural integrity of the trailer (especially on the "ultra-light" variety). You'd be better off using a "no ground plane" type of antenna that will be shorter and mounting to the roof ladder if you have one. The other thing to consider is that your radiation pattern will suck if you are mounting to the side of the trailer. To be most effective you'd need to have it mounted on the top of the trailer free of any body shielding. That's not really a viable solution because you are obviously going to encounter some low-height obstructions that will take your antenna out.

I would strongly suggest a telescoping pole that you can put up when you are at the campsite. Secure it to the ladder or to the spare time mount to keep it vertical. Just break it down when you are leaving your campsite and getting back on the road.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hi,
What would be a good way to mount a 102-inch long stainless steel CB whip antenna to a travel trailer?
Thanks for any suggestions
What is the roof of this trailer made of? Aluminum?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

A NMO-27 may be an option IF the roof is metal.
That is where I was going!

He will be a lot happier with the performance. Might need to tie it down for bridge clearance. No big deal.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

sjgostovich

Run a short mast and the antenna from the front/yoke coupler area of the hitch. I had mine set up that way and it worked good. I've seen people use mag mounts on the roof depending what you have up there (awning, vents, AC unit, etc..).

kc0bus

Are 102-inch stainless steel whips quarter wavelength long on the CB band?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If it's a traditionally, er common, styled travel trailer, I'd look into the rear bumper. Of course, how well it actually performs is entirely dependent upon the material the trailer is skinned in.

cmdrwill

Are 102-inch stainless steel whips quarter wavelength long on the CB band?

108" is closer to 1/4 wave. 27 mHz one quarter wave is 109.36", 104.9" with capacitive fringing.

102" whip and the 6" spring mount is what most used and that equaled 108".

And those dimensions depend on a full one quarter wave ground plane. Most doubt any trailer would have 216" diameter of metal to mount a quarter wave whip in the middle of.

I made the mention of the NMO 27, or the Comtelco CB1800, antenna as they do better with somewhat less groundplane.

michy

Premium Subscriber
We had some of the 102" whips (on the big spring) back many years ago mounted on the back bumper. It was made of fiberglass? and had quite a bit of wind drag.

SCPD

QRT
Drill a ball mount into the metal where the hitch is on the trailer side or get a bracket and put it on the truck side On the hitch
You could also get a pole and mount it to the trailer side and make it just high enough to get over the top of the trailer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Another pic of trailer,this is a ham operator that did this.
Good luck and have fun,stay safe!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 408

prcguy

The trailer hitch mounts don't work very well, no ground plane and sticking the feedpoint out in mid air raises the feedpoint impedance making it difficult to match.

Otherwise, I recognize what looks like a Will-Burt pneumatic mast on the trailer in the larger of the two pictures.
prcguy

Drill a ball mount into the metal where the hitch is on the trailer side or get a bracket and put it on the truck side On the hitch
You could also get a pole and mount it to the trailer side and make it just high enough to get over the top of the trailer.

SCPD

QRT
On a metal ball mount going to the frame of the trailer thats metal? As long as you grind down the metal where your mount is going and remove all the paint, A ballmount and 8 foor whip will work fine.
Cb antennas of course will work better if they are up high as possible.
Theres always the ladder on the back of the trailer..
I used to put my k40 on a metal crank out flap on the top of our trailer and it worked great.
Like the other guy said most of it is aluminum and fiberglass so you are limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.