• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about Wilson 1000 antenna being used on CB,Freeband and 10-meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hello,
If I were to buy a Wilson 1000 mobile magnetic mount antenna for the roof of my vehicle, and wanted to use it for both CB, Freeband AND 10-meters with an export transceiver, wouldn't I have to re-tune the antenna for somewhere inbetween these three bands so that it's usable on all three? Is an antenna such as the Wilson 1000 even usable on all three of those bands or can it be made to be used on all three bands?
Thank you

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The tuning is different. If you tune for CB 19 (27.185MHz), SWR will be low across the CB band, but it will be high on the 10-meter ham band. If you tune it for 10 meters, SWR will be high across the CB band. If you tune in the middle, it will still be high for CB and 10-meter. I would not recommend trying to use one tuning for all bands.

prcguy

In my limited experience 40yrs ago the Wilson 1000 works fine across 40 CB channels but will not cover both CB and 10m without retuning. However, the Laird CW-27 is rated for 26.8 to 29.7MHz continuous with no tuning and they work very well.
prcguy

Hello,
If I were to buy a Wilson 1000 mobile magnetic mount antenna for the roof of my vehicle, and wanted to use it for both CB, Freeband AND 10-meters with an export transceiver, wouldn't I have to re-tune the antenna for somewhere inbetween these three bands so that it's usable on all three? Is an antenna such as the Wilson 1000 even usable on all three of those bands or can it be made to be used on all three bands?
Thank you

kc0bus

In my limited experience 40yrs ago the Wilson 1000 works fine across 40 CB channels but will not cover both CB and 10m without retuning. However, the Laird CW-27 is rated for 26.8 to 29.7MHz continuous with no tuning and they work very well.
prcguy
I looked at this antenna after you suggested it. I'll have to consider getting instead of the Wilson 1000 antenna. Thanks

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Try the Wilson 5000 it is wider. That is what I am using for 10 and 11 meters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kc0bus

Try the Wilson 5000 it is wider. That is what I am using for 10 and 11 meters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It is more broad-banded you mean? I looked at this antenna too. The box it comes in says it's for both 10 and 11 meters. So it sounds like it might be pretty broad-banded indeed.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
It is more broad-banded you mean? I looked at this antenna too. The box it comes in says it's for both 10 and 11 meters. So it sounds like it might be pretty broad-banded indeed.
Yes covers wider freq. More broad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
I used a Wilson 1000 mag mount for years on cb and "10 meters" aka 28mhz,it always performed well and had a good SWR.It actually works on 144MHZ oddly with good SWR.Dont try it on 440MHZ!

Last edited:

FiveFilter

Why is the CW-27 so broad-banded? Surely it is not just because it is longer than the Wilson. Does it have a built-in antenna adjuster?

cmdrwill

Originally Posted by FiveFilter
Why is the CW-27 so broad-banded? Surely it is not just because it is longer than the Wilson. Does it have a built-in antenna adjuster?

Laird CW27 antenna. Yes set screw antenna rod adjustment. Uses NMO mount.

Attachments

• anxcw27_.jpg
    anxcw27_.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 309

kf4eyr

i use my wilson 5000, on 11 and 10,, 1.5 down to 1.1 then back up to 1.5 all the way across 11 and about 3/4 of 10,,,using a mfj 259,,,,

kc0bus

I wonder how well a Wilson 1000 or 5000 antenna would compare against the old Radio Shack 102-inch stainless steel whip mounted on a large, heavy-duty, triple-magnet mount base on both 11 and 10-meters?

kc0bus

Now I'm thinking of possibly comparing the Wilson 1000 versus the K40 versus the old Radio Shack 102-inch stainless steel whip antenna to see which performs the best on CB.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Wilson is a big step up from K40 in terms of performance and build quality.

But a properly installed 1/4-wave whip (center of roof, NOT a magnet mount) will beat anything except a 5/8-wave ground plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.