• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is a good sounding export radio I should look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
I'm wanting to buy an export transceiver that covers the CB band, the "Freeband" and the 10-meter amateur radio band all in one radio along with multiple modes such as AM,FM, SSB, etc.. However, I'd like to find one that has much better than average audio quality. I'm guessing this probably means I should look for an older radio, as newer radio's frequently don't sound very good, especially compared with older radios. I'm just not sure which rigs I should have a look at and could use some suggestions.
Thank you

SCPD

QRT
Sounds great as long as you take out the ALC audio clipper transistor.Try a Magnum one or President Lincoln 2 Version 3 or higher.
Stock microphones are usually dogs, get a D104 or other power mic like a Turner.
The Connex and others out there are not as "frequency stable" and may drift off frequency on Sideband making you sound like Donald Duck.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I have a President Grant 2. Great radio, I use it in the mobile now. I also have an Anytone 6666 which I use as the home base, another nice little radio. Both radios I've had excellent audio reports from.

Chronic

Playing with those radios on freeband is a great way to lose your ham license and easily get a $10k NAL

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Stryker 955HP. No "golden screwdriver" needed, or external amp. It has an adjustment knob to turn the power down when you don't need 80 watts.

bharvey2

Playing with those radios on freeband is a great way to lose your ham license and easily get a $10k NAL

There's a guy at work that does the same thing. I don't get the freeband allure as CB around here is pretty much dead so why bother. But, I guess everyone needs a hobby.....

eastofottawa

I don't get the freeband allure as CB around here is pretty much dead so why bother. But, I guess everyone needs a hobby.....

It depends where you are. Here in Ottawa Canada there are a lot of CBers and freebanders right across the river in Quebec. I've been CB'ing for maybe 2 weeks and have made local contact with probably 15 different people. That's just in the local area served by my little K30 antenna.

kc0bus

I'd like to find one with 10-meters, 11-meters and the Freeband slots inbetween and above and below 11-meters. If I can't find one like this, than just 11-meters with the Freeband slots is fine.

TheSpaceMann

There's a guy at work that does the same thing. I don't get the freeband allure as CB around here is pretty much dead so why bother. But, I guess everyone needs a hobby.....
Well when the band opens up, they go wild! You'll hear all kinds of activity above and below the CB frequencies, on AM, sideband, and even on FM!!

prcguy

At some point you can get a good used amateur HF rig that does 100w all day long on these freqs with a better receiver. I bought a very nice used Yaesu FT-857 and an Icom 706MKIIG for $400 each and a really cool Kenwood TS-50 for much less. All of these should run circles around some of the silly freeband rigs that cost waaaay too much for a glorified CB and they are smaller in many cases.
prcguy

Stryker 955HP. No "golden screwdriver" needed, or external amp. It has an adjustment knob to turn the power down when you don't need 80 watts.

kc0bus

At some point you can get a good used amateur HF rig that does 100w all day long on these freqs with a better receiver. I bought a very nice used Yaesu FT-857 and an Icom 706MKIIG for $400 each and a really cool Kenwood TS-50 for much less. All of these should run circles around some of the silly freeband rigs that cost waaaay too much for a glorified CB and they are smaller in many cases.
prcguy
But can the Yaesu FT-857, Icom 706MKIIG or Kenwood TS-50 be modified to transmit on the 11-meter Freeband slot frequencies?

prcguy

Absolutely, all mine will although I have no reason to transmit there. If you do it you will have 25 to 30w carrier in AM mode for 100w peak and also 100w SSB. The receive filters in most modern amateur radios are far superior to what's used in CBs including $500 freeband versions. Plus you have full amateur capability if you choose to upgrade.

To me its a no brainer buying a good used 100w HF amateur rig if your shopping for an illegal freeband CB because you will get a lot more for your money and less of the pimp style lights and stupid noise makers. But if your only into pimping and making noise and have no need for any radio performance, then go for the Stryker or other goofy and expensive CB.
prcguy

But can the Yaesu FT-857, Icom 706MKIIG or Kenwood TS-50 be modified to transmit on the 11-meter Freeband slot frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.