RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 8:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default State Police and County Police CB usage

Do state police still use CB? I know county does as I noticed the less populated counties east of me, notably Laporte County and some Porter County officers have CB antennas. They would also monitor channel 9 right?
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2017, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Not likely. The antennas you are seeing are probably vhf low band, not cb.
Old 11-13-2017, 9:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Not likely. The antennas you are seeing are probably vhf low band, not cb.
Interesting
Old 11-13-2017, 9:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I suspect some of the smaller ones still do. I've noticed that some of the lesser-populated (and possibly poorer) counties have CB users (KS, OK, AL, AR). This was a couple of years ago. I'll bet they all still have a CB radio sitting around somewhere. Whether or not it's turned on or they even have an antenna is another question.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 PM

CHP has them on some units, usually monitoring 9 and to talk to trucks sometimes.
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2017, 12:16 AM

New Mexico SP has them in some MTD units. I know for fact the port weigh stations will have one but whether it is on or not is another thing. Others if they purchased themself and had it installed. Not as much as it use to be however.

Some smaller NM counties have a deputy here or there who monitor CB in the rural stretch of highways.

Many will setup speed traps, run radar and listen to see if they are spotted to listening in general and of course ch 9.

It isn't as wide spread though as it use to be. It is hit or miss if it'll be on however in the units. Depending on how much radio traffic they have and if they are working a assignment. If it's dead middle of am and a SP is on or deputy he may have it on. Most NM LE state, to county entities have at minimum 2 mobiles installed on so monitoring locals, county, state, neighboring county traffic will determine if he or she wants to listen to CB. Most the time they are busy and wouldn't have time.

Some rural dispatch offices would have a CB on 9 in the remote village towns in NM that were near major highways or interstates. The larger town to city entities removed them way back from dispatch offices.

I know for fact some LE and fire around NM frequent this site and are also scanner enthusiasts.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:59 AM

I radioed a Channel 19 "smokey" report a couple of months ago and got a "that's right" in return.

I didn't ask if the affirmation was from the cop or another driver, but my guess at the time it was from the cop.
Old 11-19-2017, 6:32 PM

I was a police dispatcher in Oregon, quit a handful of years ago. Still in contact with friends who are dispatchers there. Have been to and graduated from Oregon Dept. of Safety, Standards and Training (Oregon's police academy).

That said, our 911 center didn't monitor any CB frequencies, and I know that none of the police agencies in our county, including the county, monitored them. At DPSST I was told that some state officers may have a CB in their car, if they request it, but that nobody in the state officially monitored any CB traffic.

Truth be told, since about the early 90's, most police cars carry so many electronics in them that equipment like a CB isn't going to be installed unless it's absolutely necessary. Between computers, their radio, lights and controls, cell phone charger, etc. there isn't a lot of spare power to run something like a CB and there really isn't much room for one anywhere where it would be handy.