• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Band Was Open Yesterday (12/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Tuesday at mid-morning, stations from Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky were heard here in NJ. Channel 38 had several stations calling CQ and making contacts with Northeast ops. Was fun to hear the band open. Channel 6 as usual was pinning the meter.

Does anyone know if the 155 mile contact limit that's been on the books for ages was rescinded by the FCC?

blakews2217

Tuesday at mid-morning, stations from Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky were heard here in NJ. Channel 38 had several stations calling CQ and making contacts with Northeast ops. Was fun to hear the band open. Channel 6 as usual was pinning the meter.

Does anyone know if the 155 mile contact limit that's been on the books for ages was rescinded by the FCC?

As far as I know the limit is still in effect. What a shame i couldn’t participate yesterday. I turned my radio on and heard almost no static. Thought that was funny. Turned it off and check the cable. It was pinched in a spot and ripped through. Now I gotta get a new coax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Since the mileage limit was rescinded (tnx mmckenna) I did work an Alabama station on Ch 38 USB while mobile when the band was open. That was fun.

ebuchanan1970

I have heard a lot of strong and clear CB traffic from Alabama and from Mississippi in 2017. Don't forget about class C channels. I have not been able to pick out where voice is coming from on class c channels on my pro-2006 scanner.
I have heard no attempts to contact from far away though on regular CB channels. Some of the skip traffic was so strong they sounded local. I have an 18 foot long wire antenna I use for CB listening. I live in the silicon valley area. Channel 6 is the one that I hear the most DX on of all them. It has been a while since I have heard CB traffic out of Mexico. That could sound so strong you would think it was coming from down the street.

swen_out_west

It's all the time of day around here. Today there is none (yet), but I make at least one contact on 38LSB a day from Mojave, CA to the Southwest and I've been doing this since the First week of October when I turned my station back on. The month of June was awesome, there were two days in a row where skip rolled all day except for one or two hours (2am-4am) when most people are asleep anyways.

The Friday after Thanksgiving was the good one this month. The Skip rolled pretty much from 8 in the morning to 9 at night. There was one point where I was having a 3 way conversation North/South and East/West, which is a rarity.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Band Was Open Again on 12/12

While mobiling yesterday, turned on the ol' President AR144 and the band was open to the Carolinas, FL, MN, and IL.

Channel 38 was abuzz with SSB signals, just like a pileup.

Back in the days of 23 channel CB radios, channel 16 was the SSB epicenter. Now I guess it's 38.

I wonder if another channel could be used for SSB when 38 is so crowded? It'd allow more contacts to be made.

CB is the greatest. Waiting for an opening to Europe soon.

swen_out_west

I wonder if another channel could be used for SSB when 38 is so crowded? It'd allow more contacts to be made.

Go up one or down one, there's usually traffic there when it's a train wreck on 38. I do most of my contacts on 39 LSB during periods of heavy use.

The standard has become 35 to 40, predominately LSB. Although around here the Mexican truckers sometimes use 35 and/or 40 in AM mode.

Last edited:

K6GBW

I'm an old CB'r from the 1970's. Been doing ham radio now since 1993. About a month ago, after driving home from 2 hours n L.A. traffic and not hearing anyone on the 2M/440 ham radio I decided to look into getting a CB again. I was mostly just curious to see how it had changed.

I installed a bone stock Uniden Pro-505XL and a Larson NMO-27 on the roof of my truck. It matched up super good. I've been listening to the damned thing ever since! I'm surprised at how much radio traffic this still is on CB! I've been regularly talking to guys 4-6 miles out and its FUN!

Still love my ham radios but the CB is what I have on when driving now. Heard stations out of the whole Southeast yesterday booming in loud and clear.

Anyone ever work DX on a barefoot CB? I've never had the pleasure.

TheSpaceMann

I'm an old CB'r from the 1970's. Been doing ham radio now since 1993. About a month ago, after driving home from 2 hours n L.A. traffic and not hearing anyone on the 2M/440 ham radio I decided to look into getting a CB again. I was mostly just curious to see how it had changed.

I installed a bone stock Uniden Pro-505XL and a Larson NMO-27 on the roof of my truck. It matched up super good. I've been listening to the damned thing ever since! I'm surprised at how much radio traffic this still is on CB! I've been regularly talking to guys 4-6 miles out and its FUN!

Still love my ham radios but the CB is what I have on when driving now. Heard stations out of the whole Southeast yesterday booming in loud and clear.

Anyone ever work DX on a barefoot CB? I've never had the pleasure.
There definitely seems to be a resurgence recently on CB radio. I hear lots of activity when I travel cross country on business. And yes, I have reached long distance stations many times with just 4 watts when the band is open!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I gotta make a run down through LA in a few weeks. I'd love to have the CB on, but I'll have my wife and son in the truck with me, so that's a no-go. Leaving LA, I'll be headed up US 395 to Bishop and Carson City, then back over towards home.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Regarding KE6BAY's question, I've made contacts on CB to IL, AL, TN.

Can't think of ever not having a CB in the car, hearing the radio chatter makes the trips enjoyable.

FiveFilter

I use the CB exclusively in a mobile environment. It's always on when I head out for any trip more than 50 or 100 miles.

I've found the CB radio to be useful for getting information involving traffic hold-ups, road and weather hazards, and the occasional report of revenue collection officers hiding behind the billboards.

When my radio becomes infected with nasty characters that choose to abuse others via RF after berating his mother and kicking the dog, I turn up the squelch and squash them out for a few miles until they drift off into their miserable worlds without me having to listen.

It's amazing what a $50 radio and 50-inch antenna will get you sometimes.

Retroradio

Band was open late aftermoon here in Ontario , Canada for about an hour or so. It was pandalerium across the band. SSB 28 and up were pretty much all going and the lower channels had the overpowered, overmodulated AM stations doing there thing.

I was re-arranging the station and had the CB on not thinking anything would come on as its been dead here for the last couple of years and bam it was chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.