RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Getting back into the sport. What radio?

Hey all. I am looking to get back into the sport, and would like to have a fair radio to run with.
I have been looking at the Stryker Sr-655HPC with a heavy eye. For the price point it seems to be a wonderful radio.
For around a 100 dollar more I can get the Stryker SR-955HPC but im not sure of the major difference and if its worth it.

It will be run at home. Not sure what antenna I want to run with it yet. Always like to hear from what people have to say.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2018, 9:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've been toying with getting one of the two as well, the big difference is SSB, there are a couple other minor differences. In the many years I've used CB I never really got into SSB, although my last acquisition, a Magnum 1, has it, I've only listened in a couple times.

Stryker 10 Meter Radios Comparison Chart

Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 PM

The Stryker Sr-655HPC is over $300 and its an AM radio. I think you can get a great performing radio for less than half that then get an amplifier that's twice the power of the Stryker for the same $300. I also think SSB is the way to go because when all the channels get clogged when the skip is in, you can actually make good contacts on SSB.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
The Stryker Sr-655HPC is over $300 and its an AM radio. I think you can get a great performing radio for less than half that then get an amplifier that's twice the power of the Stryker for the same $300. I also think SSB is the way to go because when all the channels get clogged when the skip is in, you can actually make good contacts on SSB.
Places I've been looking have the 655 under $300 and the 955 (SSB) over $300. They have great power out of the box from what I've read, no need to add an amp if you don't have the room for one, or want, especially in a mobile.

I'd already have one but I can't justify spending the little cash I have on one.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 PM

For a great AM setup on a budget I would get a used Motorola Mocat series, about $35 used, then get a Motorola amplified base mic for the Spectra series and wire it to the Mocat. Then get a 100W amp if you need power, about $100 used. Total cost maybe $175 tops.

The old US made Motorola CBs had great receivers, big internal speakers and excellent transmit audio and they get real loud with the Motorola base mic.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Places I've been looking have the 655 under $300 and the 955 (SSB) over $300. They have great power out of the box from what I've read, no need to add an amp if you don't have the room for one, or want, especially in a mobile.

I'd already have one but I can't justify spending the little cash I have on one.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2018, 11:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe this Site Would Help--Good Prices & Antennas Also

https://www.cbradiosplus.com/default.asp
Old 02-01-2018, 5:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
For a great AM setup on a budget I would get a used Motorola Mocat series, about $35 used, then get a Motorola amplified base mic for the Spectra series and wire it to the Mocat. Then get a 100W amp if you need power, about $100 used. Total cost maybe $175 tops.

The old US made Motorola CBs had great receivers, big internal speakers and excellent transmit audio and they get real loud with the Motorola base mic.
prcguy

Thanks for the response. You "quoted" me on this response so I'll answer with this, that may be a good suggestion for the OP who is looking to get back into the sport. I am not a familiar with the items you list, the OP plans for home use so I'm guessing that equipment would be good there.

I have several radios, a Uniden 520xl Pro, a Cobra 29 lx, a Midland 75-822 and a Magnum 1, hence why I am having a tough time justifying the cost of the Stryker 655 or 955, one of which I may end up owning once I get back to work from my winter lay-off. The OP mentioned looking at the 655 which is why I added the comment you quoted. All of my CB use is either in my work dump truck or my personal vehicle, currently a Jeep, and I am not interested in using an amp or a base at this time.
Old 02-01-2018, 7:12 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Less chrome, more antenna-- original poster.
Old 02-01-2018, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuddendeath View Post
Hey all. I am looking to get back into the sport, and would like to have a fair radio to run with.
I have been looking at the Stryker Sr-655HPC with a heavy eye. For the price point it seems to be a wonderful radio.
For around a 100 dollar more I can get the Stryker SR-955HPC but im not sure of the major difference and if its worth it.
I would get the 955 for sideband capability. The Strykers have some useless crap like reverb and roger beeps that no self-respecting radio operator should ever use, and unnecessary chrome on the case, but underneath all the lipstick and fishnets and miniskirt you'll find a radio with a heart of gold--a sensitive receiver, good audio in and out (even with the stock mic), frequency stability, and enough power (continuously adjustable between minimum and maximum) that you'll never need a linear. If you buy one, you won't regret it.
Old 02-01-2018, 1:23 PM

Lots of specs and reviews here! CBRadioMagazine.com - The only online CB Magazine in the world
Old 02-01-2018, 3:01 PM

Awesome guys thanks for all the suggestions. I did buy the SR-955HPC. Really wanted the upper and lower Side Band.
Also ordered a I-MAX 2000 with the ground plane kit.

Anybody have a link or suggestion on building a cheap Tower? I was thinking about getting threaded oil and pipeline pipe and thread a couple sections together. Maybe get it 30 or 40 feet up in the air.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:15 AM

The uniden line seems to be the nicer looking line these days... get something with SSB
Old 02-09-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwca44 View Post
The uniden line seems to be the nicer looking line these days... get something with SSB
I'm a new CBer. I caught the bug and setup my first CB base in my home office last month. I am not that tech savvy with radios but I used the internet, videos, and got help from groups like this, Facebook CB groups, etc.

I chose a UNIDEN 980SSB radio which was affordable, modern, and offered SSB.

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCA...AES/ref=sr_1_3

You can see a photo of my setup and list of gear at https://i.imgur.com/XZwkHZN.jpg

I'm a moderator in this Facebook Group for CBs... very helpful folks.

The Big BREAK - CB Radio Discussion Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/1170486866388007
Old 02-09-2018, 9:39 AM

You are going to love the srtyker. I have the 955 hp. One of the best radios I have. I am ssb only the radio will 70 plus watts !!!!! no need for an amp.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:05 PM

I modified my Stryker last night, talk to a few locals jumped on FM and did some side band as well. Everyone says the radio sounds great. Also got my IMAX 2000 up yesterday. 2 foot stand ten foot pole.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 1:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrfeeney View Post
I'm a new CBer. I caught the bug and setup my first CB base in my home office last month. I am not that tech savvy with radios but I used the internet, videos, and got help from groups like this, Facebook CB groups, etc.

I chose a UNIDEN 980SSB radio which was affordable, modern, and offered SSB.

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCA...AES/ref=sr_1_3

You can see a photo of my setup and list of gear at https://i.imgur.com/XZwkHZN.jpg

I'm a moderator in this Facebook Group for CBs... very helpful folks.

The Big BREAK - CB Radio Discussion Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/1170486866388007

I like the Uniden 980SSB very much. The thing though is on AM I use a Cobra power mic with it. The Cobra mic is pin but not the same as the Uniden adapter, so I had to get one that is meant for using Cobra 4 pins with the 980.

I usually have the radio's internal mic gain all the way up and the Cobra mic dialed up to 6 or 8.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3ECJ View Post
I like the Uniden 980SSB very much. The thing though is on AM I use a Cobra power mic with it. The Cobra mic is pin but not the same as the Uniden adapter, so I had to get one that is meant for using Cobra 4 pins with the 980. I usually have the radio's internal mic gain all the way up and the Cobra mic dialed up to 6 or 8.
Could you share the model number of adapter you found that worked?

I am having a similar issue right now with my 980SSB getting a mic to work with the UNIDEN 6pin to 4pin adapter which came new with the radio.

If you could provide a hyperlink to adapter you found that works, that would be super helpful.

David
Old 02-09-2018, 2:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrfeeney View Post
Could you share the model number of adapter you found that worked?

I am having a similar issue right now with my 980SSB getting a mic to work with the UNIDEN 6pin to 4pin adapter which came new with the radio.

If you could provide a hyperlink to adapter you found that works, that would be super helpful.

David
This looks like it may be it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-C4P...IAAOSwh1paDGJb

But I got my adapter a couple years ago so I can't say for sure it is the same exact one.
Old 02-21-2018, 7:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If that antenna is a folded dipole, like a Big Stick, you're going to hate it, and so will your neighbors. Get yourself a Super Penetrator and have fun hearing stations twice as far away. Also, you want some quality RG8 coax and NOT RG58 or 8X.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

prcguy

FWIW I went with a Stryker SR-94HPC.
It's about a quarter the size of the Magnum1 I had in the same spot, get's out pretty good.
Nice little radio with a big punch, but there's a lot to remember as how to operate it.
Only one knob with 6 buttons each of which handle 3 things the radio can do

Once I remember all the settings it'll be a good radio..