• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

102 inch whip vs/and #$%# ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

asuddendeath

So I am going to get a 102 inch whip to play with. It will go on top of a Ford E250 van.

Looking to load something shorter when I am not trying to smoke everyone out.

Looking at
Stryker SRA10
Hustler RM-11
4 foot Firestk II
BROWNING BR-28 (price she seems to shine)

60 to 400W load 10-12 meter.

No Wilson stuff.

Thanks

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
102 inch whips are meant to be mounted on the bumper with a hefty spring, if you mount it on top of a van say good bye antenna when you go under the first bridge because it will surely sheer it off the vehicle, just saying.

prcguy

The Stryker looks to be the best of the bunch. The Hustler needs a 5ft mast making it about 7ft tall, 4ft Firestick is the right size but they don't make um like they used to. Browning is probably ok and a Larsen NMO-27 is good but will not handle the power.
prcguy

So I am going to get a 102 inch whip to play with. It will go on top of a Ford E250 van.

Looking at
Stryker SRA10
Hustler RM-11
4 foot Firestk II

No Wilson stuff.

Thanks

asuddendeath

Think I'll run with the BROWNING BR-28.
Will a 5 inch magnet mount work? Want to run it on a car too when I go on trips.

cmdrwill

NMO-27 with a spring. Cut according to the chart.

Correct the NMO-27 IS much better than all the others listed.

Comtelco A1801AH-27 shunt fed coil, A1801A-27 series fed another choice..

And these will 'run' on the 5" mag mounts.

The Browning and Tram are very poorly made. CCA...... cheep chinchang antenna.

prcguy

A Larsen NMO-27 will not handle 400w the OP mentioned. I would not put the center loaded antennas on a single 5" mag mount, it will probably not stay on at high speeds.

Correct the NMO-27 IS much better than all the others listed.

Comtelco A1801AH-27 shunt fed coil, A1801A-27 series fed another choice..

And these will 'run' on the 5" mag mounts.

The Browning and Tram are very poorly made. CCA...... cheep chinchang antenna.

asuddendeath

True, but he did qualify it with this "Looking to load something shorter when I am not trying to smoke everyone out."

Someone took note.

I am drilling a mount on my van to carry. Nothing like sitting somewhere to blow them out.
On the car it will be a swap.

So I got a triple mag mount, if I want to look like a remote control car with a 102" whip, but I can a Browning BR-78.
For the price and performance 10-12 meter I think its a winner.

It is getting real now.

Mustang131

Looking at
Stryker SRA10
Hustler RM-11
4 foot Firestk II

No Wilson stuff.

Thanks

Lots of fun..From time to time I used a 102 on my old van. Be carefull when your running any power..the high voltage point is at the tip. I've "accidentally" caught trees on fire in the fall.
The Short Hills Mall had a string of ballast failures in the 90's.

Mustang131

Lol. How much juice did it take to blow out a ballast?
Rf burn time.

Don't remember..guessing around 3k carrier on my DM 3cx3000. I opened my windows and mic gain to full open then went in with my 575 keyed..Clank clank clank clank...bang..bang..bang..clank as you could imagine. A retard with a 102" SS wip on top of a full sized Chevy van. I was setting off the usual car alarms, feeding back through PA speakers and CO monitors when my friend noticed it getting dark behind me. At first I figured my SS wip was physically breaking the bulbs..nope. it was banging the ceiling and conduits pretty hard...but again luckly no. The lights stopped going out when I unkeyed..But the damage was done. Car alarms beeping, exhaust fans screeming, alarms bell and lights blazing. I did my best to keep a straight face and made a mad dash out of the parking garage. Didn't want to press my luck.
20 years latter I can't help but wonder what the maintenance department thought of the all those problems..

JayMojave

Hello All: Yeah 131 "You Know your Linears ah Hummin and ah Buzzin When" I read the news paper article.

Back in the early 70's I helped install a 102 SS whip antenna on a old 66 Ford Van for a friend named Frank. He had a two small tube amp and a stock radio, oh what a criminal. It got him out all over the place, he shoot skip and had a ball with it.

On a cold and windy morning in Sunland and Tujunga Ca ( above the San Fernando Valley) all the distinguished radio operators were having breakfast early around 7 AM as the strong and loud Santa Ana Winds were raging pretty good, keeping everyone up. We all left and went out own ways with the normal chit chat on the radio.

As I got home to my General Radiotelephone Radio and Mookraker 4 beam Antenna, I could hear Frank coming in over the radio talking about a police chase up Tujunga Canyon a windy road going up the local mountains. A few minutes later we could hear Frank talking with gun shoots in his audio as he was behind the police cars in the car chase. WOW someone said Frank you are genuinely crazy. Other Police Cars had Frank pull over and get out of the way. Why they didn't throw a net over him is besides me. But the Term "Crazy Frank" stuck. There are other stories about Crazy Frank, but another time.

The point of this all is that the 102 inch stainless steel whip on top a Van Works pretty darn good. You could ask Crazy Frank.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.