RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 3:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default What kind of external speaker would sound best in my car?

Hi,
I'm new to using a CB radio in my car. What would make a good sounding external speaker to plug into the back speaker socket of my Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB radio?
Thank you
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2018, 6:41 AM

Good question. I have found over the years that quite a few sound harsh. Recently I have added a filter internally to them to help. I run a Bearcat 980 as a base station ( along with a pile of retro CBs....lol! ) and all sound better with the modified speaker IMHO. I was inspired by the incredible difference the Hi/low/off system on my Kenwood Ham speaker. If there is a CB external,speaker of this quality the your problem would be solved.

Would be interested as well if there is a mobile speaker that doesnt soun tinny and brittle.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM

I've always thought that mobile speakers don't sound as good as base unit speakers because of the same reasons that mobile antennas don't work as well as one on a tower: the compromises of mobility.

A speaker small enough to satisfy many mobile users is not going to perform as well as a large base speaker. A separate mobile speaker that is a bit larger than the radio's speaker should provide a commensurate benefit. I've got a separate Cobra speaker that is an improvement over the radio's, but not by a large measure except that it can be positioned closer to the driver and without being enclosed like the radio is.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Yup agreed , I have large mobile president speakers that I put the filters in and use it as a base speaker.
Its a compnsation type defice with the overall benifit and use is to get the spkr closer to the driver/operator.
My good Kenwood spkr has other uses.....lol