• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Temple, Texas PD Channel 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
It has been many years since I've heard DPS and/or cops on a CB. Last Friday, I was traveling on loop in Temple, Texas.

As usual, I had my arsenal of electronic toys. My Passport Max II was going off. My 436HP was going wild on other transmissions. I looked up and saw a Temple PD SUV. I thought nothing of this. However, after I announced his whereabouts to those with a CB, I heard, "we're watching you, 59." I was going exactly 59 mph. So, I keyed up and discussed my surprise. He indicated they had radios as well. I told him that I was going to "burn his location" on my Passport Max II by listing it is a speed trap so that others with access to the GPS DB could see the burn spot.

The last time I heard a cop on a CB was many years ago near Junction, Texas. I asked for a Bear Report and heard, "put the hammer down." My radar detector said something else. When he keyed up, I heard DPS radio traffic in the background. Again, I announced to those with a CB that there was a lying cop among us.

Some cops are like the offenders in that they cannot keep their mouth shut. Nope, they have to brag about it. Had he kept his trap shut, I would have never known. Now, I can talk Ca Ca, good-natured, of course, LOL.

The game is on!

jodyobrien

hey... is this true. that a cop/police can use there police radio and change a few buttons and talk to / though as a CB radio? was wondering how they get BIG Rigs to block in a speeder... I seen this on the NEWS (Ontario) my question... do they use police radio, or just have a CB in-car?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have never ever seen a combination police radio and CB. Most of the frequencies associated with radio traffic in this day & age, particularly in the U.S. are VHF, UHF, or in the 700 or 800 mhz radio spectrum.

I used to hear Oklahoma & Missouri on low band, but that is rarely used these days thanks to P25 Trunking systems, some statewide.

So, Texas DPS used to use K40 antennas. They were so easy to spot. I don't know what radios they used because I was never in the car with them. I suspect that Temple is using a portable. I know the man that programs their radios. So, I will give him a call in the near future.

I have never heard of a button-activated setup in a patrol car that would bounce to CB frequencies.

I once met a DEA agent in Houston, Texas. He was a blithering idiot. This occurred at a Dojang.

Our training facility received a DEA recognition by the Chief in Houston because of this fool. Eventually, he was sent to South America. I wonder why! Oh, and the Chief of the DEA in Houston either killed or maimed a man on a bicycle. His first name was Marion and he was a sot.

Master Song, our instructor and owner introduced me to this DEA agent, Barney Fife personified. Master song indicated that I worked in the Texas Prison System. I suppose this is why the agent opened up to me. I thought he was quite sloppy for showing me all the details of his setup.

So, this guy took me to his vehicle, a vintage Olds 98 I believe. He showed me two bank bags with two different sets of ID. Then, he opened the trunk to reveal two UHF radios.

Back in the eighties, Lincoln Mark IV vehicles had a CB built into the vehicle. It consisted of a red LED microphone showing the various channels. His microphone was almost identical to the Lincoln.

He then showed me the stock antenna and indicated it was designed for UHF.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

I heard that some PDs have been getting new equipment installed which enables them to scan a much wider range of frequencies. I wouldn't be surprised if they can hear CB, ham, and maybe even cell phone frequencies!

K7MFC

WRAA720
Back in the eighties, Lincoln Mark IV vehicles had a CB built into the vehicle.

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but I had to see what that looked like. I found some pics on mcsmk8.com:

79MKV-22.JPG

The AM/FM/CB antenna:

79MKV-43.JPG

Factory CB manual too!

79MKV-36.JPG

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Voice of Wisdom

My formed Warden, a wise woman who taught me many things, told me to leave them alone. I am no longer going to trash this department because I fear what they might do regarding playing B.S. games.

Yesterday, I heard these, "children" inside the patrol car cackling about something when I passed them on the loop. Then, I spotted the CB antenna.

I could not help myself. A demon reached from below & gave me these words, LOL, "Hell, at least DPS bought their troopers K40 antennas instead of that piece of feces (expletive removed) antenna you have on top."

I know small town cops. Oh God I want to mock them! It is taking everything in my power to shut up! Today, I am going to give it a go and see if my impulsive a-hole behavior can be controlled. Sometimes, it just pops right out of my mouth, "too late, LOL."

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but I had to see what that looked like. I found some pics on mcsmk8.com:

79MKV-22.JPG

The AM/FM/CB antenna:

79MKV-43.JPG

Factory CB manual too!

79MKV-36.JPG

At 64, I cannot believe I can remember that information, but I worked at a Ford/Lincoln dealer when I was working my way through college.

I appreciate you looking that up. To me, you are straight on target with this conversation.

ipfd320

Banned
Ford Was not the Only One with the Factory CB---Buick Riveria Also Cam with that Option...lol

Back in the Day--N.Y State Pd had Seperate CB Radios along with the Vhf Set Up---Ive been Out of the Loop But I Think State PD has the CB Back in their Cars---Dont Quote me on This Like I Say it Might be Rumors

http://blog.consumerguide.com/convoy-madness-12-classic-cb-radio-ads/

Scroll Down to Picture 6 & 11

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Surreal

Ford Was not the Only One with the Factory CB---Buick Riveria Also Cam with that Option...lol

Back in the Day--N.Y State Pd had Seperate CB Radios along with the Vhf Set Up---Ive been Out of the Loop But I Think State PD has the CB Back in their Cars---Dont Quote me on This Like I Say it Might be Rumors

Convoy Madness! 12 Classic CB-Radio Ads | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide® The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®

Scroll Down to Picture 6 & 11

Yes, with the explosion of digital technology, it is odd to look back to realize how thing have changed in such a relatively short amount of time. I am thankful the general public decided to trash their CB radios because the accuracy of Bear Reports has increased since most are truckers. I had a friend who bought that Cobra model with the controls in the microphone. To me, that is for some, but I'm too rough on coiled cords. In fact, I hate them. The same can be said for guitar cords for electrics. I prefer straight cords.

I got everything tangled up yesterday and spent 15 minutes attempting to wrangle them into order. If I had doubles of everything I own it would be nice since I hate transferring radios from car to car when I travel. My pickup does not match the Toyota on mpg.

I bought my peaked/tweaked Cobra 29 at a Joplin Truck Stop for $35. I was skeptical, but it still works like a charm. It has talk back and all. I have two Cobra 25 units that are basically untouched.

Last edited:

twjr80

Feed Provider
hey... is this true. that a cop/police can use there police radio and change a few buttons and talk to / though as a CB radio? was wondering how they get BIG Rigs to block in a speeder... I seen this on the NEWS (Ontario) my question... do they use police radio, or just have a CB in-car?

It is not true. LEO's use two different radios when they transmit on their own FCC issued frequencies and if they talk on the CB radio.

twjr80

Feed Provider
I heard that some PDs have been getting new equipment installed which enables them to scan a much wider range of frequencies. I wouldn't be surprised if they can hear CB, ham, and maybe even cell phone frequencies!

Some of the newer radios do have a broader frequency range due to the fact that public safety now uses VHF(150MHz range), UHF(400MHZ range), 700MHz and 800MHz. They, however, do not receive CB nor cell phone frequencies. In order to reveive frequencies outside of their FCC issued frequencies, the radio would have to be programmed with said outside frequencies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Credit Due

Although they aren't my favorite PD, I will give them credit for one thing. They play by the rules on the radio. Of course, they know they are being recorded at HQ. Still, when they are running a PC operation, they don't pull anyone over unless a violation occurs.

The Truckers told me that the Troy Local also uses CB radio as well.

Whether I "burn their location" using my Passport Max II by putting up on the GPS map, the end result tends to be the same, slowing down.

Most people with a quality radar detector will heed the warning emitted. Hence, they slow down when they detect the presence of a potential ticket. A cop's presence, like a warning on a radar detector tend to have similar outcomes, but the cops don't make any money.

I am doing my civic duty, LOL.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Ensnared - Great info.

I live in Round Rock and frequent up the I-35 Corridor with my HomePatrol 2 with GPS and my faithful Uniden R3 and Waze App and soon Laser Jammer. They are sneaky in Temple with the construction looking for someone to make a mistake.

Brave of you to say you were marking them.LOL

I had a BearTracker 885 (CB/Police Alert) that I returned because it was SO bulky for my little sports car - but now I want it back from your CB encounter. I also like their idea of Beartracking alert...wonder how well this works.

I am also on another board RdForum that is all about Radar Detectors - we often test in the Waco area...PM me your details if you ever want to join us. We test all Popular radar detectors against various radar units.

PS Like my HomePatrol 2 for the GPS - but when you live in Austin area - nothing better than my faithful Unication G4 for Simulcast Phase 1/2 systems.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Unication: Must For Austin

Ensnared - Great info.

I live in Round Rock and frequent up the I-35 Corridor with my HomePatrol 2 with GPS and my faithful Uniden R3 and Waze App and soon Laser Jammer. They are sneaky in Temple with the construction looking for someone to make a mistake.

Brave of you to say you were marking them.LOL

I had a BearTracker 885 (CB/Police Alert) that I returned because it was SO bulky for my little sports car - but now I want it back from your CB encounter. I also like their idea of Beartracking alert...wonder how well this works.

I am also on another board RdForum that is all about Radar Detectors - we often test in the Waco area...PM me your details if you ever want to join us. We test all Popular radar detectors against various radar units.

PS Like my HomePatrol 2 for the GPS - but when you live in Austin area - nothing better than my faithful Unication G4 for Simulcast Phase 1/2 systems.

I will PM. I am interested in testing this unit. My only complaints against this Passport Max II are: the application does not keep up with all of the changes across the country. Hence, if you are going along, the speed limit might not match what is shown on the display. Also, with the colored display, it has dimmed a bit over the years. But, otherwise this puppy is a beast. Mine will show "Live KA band ahead and give the feet."

Are you getting a passive or active jammer? Oh, I would love one. No, I want one that actually smokes the radar unit. I don't think they make these. I know the active units are illegal.

I am using two 436HP Unidens for most of my scanning. One has to be sent in for the clock issue.

I use a $35.00 Cobra 29, all peaked & tweaked. This was the best $35.00 I have ever spent. Yes, I took a chance buying one from a fellow parked across the street from the Flying J in Joplin, MO., but I was pleasantly surprised. It even has talk-back. My two Cobra 25 units are for spares.

Round Rock? Wow, I feel for you since Johnny Law tends to encrypt everything. I drive carefully through Williamson County knowing their history of corruption and hard-nose police tactics.

If you drive through Temple, you must know my friend Unit 195. He is a trip. I met him at the place we both worked, MHMR in Temple, Texas.

He makes my morning. Oh, he talks trash all morning long. He threatens to put the tip of his boot up the crack of someone's arse from his position in a wheel chair. The really stupid drivers fail to recognize his tongue-in-cheek "messing with you" play and he hands them their arse when they challenge him.

Say hello to the Troy local because he uses CB as well.

I will give Temple credit for several things, but that is all. First, they don't cheat when attempting to establish PC. They are working areas where there are very frequent wrecks.

In essence, we are a public service. We help slow down traffic, but the city offers won't get the money.

A former Warden friend of mine told me to steer clear of that agency. This Warden & another LE official referred to Temple in an unsavory manner. I will make this delicate. I believe they suggested that Temple PD needs redesign their uniforms. A brown shirt would be more fitting.

I have dealt with the Temple PD buffoons before. The first time occurred when they brought me a patient who walked from Austin, He was disheveled, had significant body odor. I might add he was floridly psychotic. When I called Temple PD, I was expecting to make arrangements for hospitalization at S&W or ASH in Austin. However, the paramedic informed me, someone with two active mental health licenses, that he possessed all of his faculties. Really?

The 2nd time I witnessed their pervasive stupidity was when we had a bomb scare at MHMR. You would have thought the FBI descended on the building. We thought it was a drill. After the building was evacuated, I looked up and saw my colleague, who has a wheelchair, sitting on the 3rd fire escape landing. Shortly after, a Temple PD officer yelled down when he was standing beside the therapist in a wheelchair. He said, "does anyone have a key to this door?" No changes happened until my supervisor, a former Austin PD officer, charged up to the 3rd floor & rolled her out of the building.

What morons!

I will PM you.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Wow Good Stories...

Yes Wilco is not fun due to the Encryption. That is interesting about Troy as well. Encryption allows a group lots of free liberty of speech. Funny thing is that major cities like Austin use encryption for needed stings/situations - drug deal stings / Swat etc. But with most in the clear - I feel they do the right thing.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Wow Good Stories...

Yes Wilco is not fun due to the Encryption. That is interesting about Troy as well. Encryption allows a group lots of free liberty of speech. Funny thing is that major cities like Austin use encryption for needed stings/situations - drug deal stings / Swat etc. But with most in the clear - I feel they do the right thing.

Hence, this is the main reason I have a CB, no police radio traffic in Wilco. At least I can announce their whereabouts. Yes, like Waco, they use limited encryption, a far more sensible approach.

lpp3799

Premium Subscriber
Please! Do you think they care?

Do some of you really think that Troopers, Deputies and Locals put that much thought into you "Burning" them? If you do, you are delusional. I can tell you this from experience. I enforced on those highways for over 30 years and I've been into radio (SW,CB,Scanning & Ham) for nearly 50 years. I had a CB in my Troop car and it was there mostly for comic relief. Most Troopers who had CB's seldom turned them on because of the childish non-sense taking place or were just not interested in listening to another radio. We (Troopers) could care less if you called out our location to the FEW that had their "ears on." There was always an abundance of speeders, running blind, to hang paper on. More food for thought, upon graduating the academy, the Superintendent was kind enough to give all his new Troopers a 3" thick book containing hundreds of motor vehicle violations, other than speeding, and believe it or not Troopers look for them as well. For example, If I wanted to be that ball breaker, I could stop you for having that GPS, Cell or Radar Detector suction cupped to your windshield, in my state that is illegal. So before some of you get full of your electronic selves, keep in mind there is no method to the madness. The Officer clocks you at 85 MPH maybe he feels like chasing you down or maybe he doesn't it is up to the individual Officers mood, no more, no less. Sorry To pop your bubbles.

Do some of you really think that Troopers, Deputies and Locals put that much thought into you "Burning" them? If you do, you are delusional. I can tell you this from experience. I enforced on those highways for over 30 years and I've been into radio (SW,CB,Scanning & Ham) for nearly 50 years. I had a CB in my Troop car and it was there mostly for comic relief. Most Troopers who had CB's seldom turned them on because of the childish non-sense taking place or were just not interested in listening to another radio. We (Troopers) could care less if you called out our location to the FEW that had their "ears on." There was always an abundance of speeders, running blind, to hang paper on. More food for thought, upon graduating the academy, the Superintendent was kind enough to give all his new Troopers a 3" thick book containing hundreds of motor vehicle violations, other than speeding, and believe it or not Troopers look for them as well. For example, If I wanted to be that ball breaker, I could stop you for having that GPS, Cell or Radar Detector suction cupped to your windshield, in my state that is illegal. So before some of you get full of your electronic selves, keep in mind there is no method to the madness. The Officer clocks you at 85 MPH maybe he feels like chasing you down or maybe he doesn't it is up to the individual Officers mood, no more, no less. Sorry To pop your bubbles.

Would you like some Preparation H? Certainly sounds like your butt hurts lol. I usually do not weigh in on these kind of discussions, but you just made it too easy. It is so obvious that the thought of the public not bowing before your perceived authority is a terrible blow to your ego. Yet you wonder why people do not trust the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.