RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM

I'm in an area where the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95 and I 295 All Connect. I'm right near the turnpike Bridge between Pennsylvania and New Jersey in Bristol PA with many many truck stops in the general area. For years the CB radio was so busy on 19 and other channels. There are trucks everywhere here due to the nature of the industry in the area. Now you here absolutely nothing. Nothing. Channel 19 is as quiet as Channel 9. It's been that way for about a year now and before that happened we would just have the mentally unstable morons talkin with much profanity and playing music and so forth that you just had to shut the radio off it was useless. Even they are gone now. You also don't see any CB antennas on 18-wheelers anymore. I don't know what the hookers use at the truck stops anymore as it was a very valuable tool for them.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2018, 10:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

When traveling, the only time I hear much of anything on Ch 19 is when there's a big traffic jam and guys are whining about the delay and talking trash.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentbob View Post
I'm in an area where the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95 and I 295 All Connect. I'm right near the turnpike Bridge between Pennsylvania and New Jersey in Bristol PA with many many truck stops in the general area. For years the CB radio was so busy on 19 and other channels. There are trucks everywhere here due to the nature of the industry in the area. Now you here absolutely nothing. Nothing. Channel 19 is as quiet as Channel 9. It's been that way for about a year now and before that happened we would just have the mentally unstable morons talkin with much profanity and playing music and so forth that you just had to shut the radio off it was useless. Even they are gone now. You also don't see any CB antennas on 18-wheelers anymore. I don't know what the hookers use at the truck stops anymore as it was a very valuable tool for them.
The Lot Lizards are still around in the South and Southwest!
Old 10-05-2018, 12:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm one of the lucky ones. I live in a town with many factories in the area and two bridges that trucks use to come into Iowa from Illinois or vise versa. Some of the factories actually use CB channels to communicate with the trucks. I scan all 40 channels and always hear conversations etc going on. There are also a bunch of us locals that hang out on 17. But yeah, I can drive on Interstate 80 for many miles and not hear anything. Sad
Old 10-05-2018, 8:50 AM

When the skip is in every channel is blasting. Channel 6 usually starts out first. My scan locked on channel 6 last week for about 30 seconds of mayhem then it faded out. I think they were in so. Cal. Had an opening 3 weeks ago to Seattle and BC for several hours one evening. No sunspots now so it's rare but still happens. Get off 19, unless your at a truck stop, that's the only place I hear that channel often unless skip is in. For locals during no skip, keep scanning all 40.
Old 10-05-2018, 1:50 PM

i hear it from time to time but not like it used to be
Old 10-07-2018, 2:00 PM

Skips in today, Georgia, Florida, Brazil, Dominican Republic talking to west coast. Every channel is blasting. Yea someone on here said CB is dead. LOL. Channel 19 busy today. 10 meter ham too.
Attached Images

Last edited by sprite1741; 10-07-2018 at 2:06 PM.. Reason: added 10 meter pic
Old 10-07-2018, 2:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite1741 View Post
Skips in today, Georgia, Florida, Brazil, Dominican Republic talking to west coast. Every channel is blasting. Yea someone on here said CB is dead. LOL. Channel 19 busy today. 10 meter ham too.
Do you use AM or SSB to get skip talking?
Old 10-07-2018, 7:28 PM

I was busy today so mostly listening to ssb. My point in posting is CB is not dead. Get on. Not that it makes much difference but the FCC rescinded the 150 mile limit. Skip or local enjoy the radio.
Old 10-07-2018, 7:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry27 View Post
The strange thing is that every truck I see has a CB antenna.
Check the 10 and 12 meter bands...lots of illegal freebanding going on over the roads

Administrator: Firepics-THE Place for fire photographers
Old 10-09-2018, 9:33 AM

The CB is still a very useful tool on the road because a lot of truckers still use it as a tool for reporting road blockages, wrecks, equipment failures, etc to each other.

However:

It is no longer much of a social network to alleviate loneliness as it might have been years ago. That has been taken up by the Internet.

It is no longer as much of an entertainment tool to alleviate boredom. That has been taken up by not only the Internet, but by satellite radio and TV.

It is no longer as much of a tool to report problems to and to get help from the police. That has been taken up by the cell phone.

Nevertheless,the CB is still an important tool for truckers to communicate among themselves. I witnessed this last week, when a wreck obstructed a major Interstate going over a swamp, which backed up and/or stopped traffic for hours. But I heard on Channel 19 about an alternate route about 10 miles away that could avoid the terrible delay if you chose that route before getting mired in the traffic. Those who had a CB tuned to 19 heard about it and saved themselves a lot of time and frustration. Among those was Yours Truly.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I put my CB in the car for a recent road trip, almost totally dead. I've got a Cobra 29 LX and it has a scan feature for the 40 channels. Not much activity.

I hope we won't see too many other states adopt the Delaware law that pretty much ends CB talking. Unless your public service or a business that uses radio dispatch, you cannot have a mike in your hand while driving. The strictest 'distracted driving' law in the country. Apparently the law dates from 2011 and hasn't been changed since then.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM

I wonder if it occurs to lawmakers that having a passenger or passengers in the car represents perhaps the biggest distraction known to man, or woman, or those with an X on the gender line.
Old 10-11-2018, 5:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I drive a big truck, I always have my radio on 19. lots of new young drivers don't have a CB. Its all about cell phones and tablets. Some companies don't order new trucks with the CB package anymore. Most of the time you will hear drivers chatting while running together. Old school drivers still use it.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hear a lot of drivers are starting to use Marine radios, is this true?
Old 10-11-2018, 9:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ZQR View Post
I hear a lot of drivers are starting to use Marine radios, is this true?
Some have been doing that for decades.
Old 10-12-2018, 7:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That said, what channels do they primarily use. Or is it every one?
Old Today, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J20 View Post
Cb is completely dead In Canada

Depends where you are again....I take the highway every morning..410/401 areas in Mississauga (trucking area) And the CB is buzzing with activity....Channel 19