RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 8:10 PM

Default TRUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0pez View Post
from what i've gathered, not many truck drivers use cb anymore. It could be the newer ones think it's an outdated tool. Or the truck itself lacks the groundplane required. Some have grown tired of the crap sometimes heard on the airwaves, or the skip that interferes with when they just want to talk up the road a few miles.

Cb is now known as a "backup radio", because the main time you hear it used, is when there's a back up.
that is damn true. The never ending **** on the radio get's old.
Old 10-18-2018, 8:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I used CB all the time, retired now (17 yrs w/CCC) and now I use it in my RV. I did not and do not depend on the CB for road info anymore, as there was/is too many cretins with profanity and racism and starting arguments to hear anything worthwhile when something was going on. I used a scanner, 2m/440 most of the time when 19 got ridiculous. Lots of scales and consignees still use CB for trucks on their property. As someone else said, depends on where you're at. Big truckstop? Scan the channels and you will hear it all. RV campgrounds are good, too, but mostly on 13 and 14 instead of 19. Lots of FRS/GMRS at Rv camps, too. But, a good do-it-all scanner is your best friend on the road. CB 19 is still great for saying hey to a trucker as they blow me and my Winnebago off the road

JD
kf4anc
Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Technology has made it obsolete, like brick and mortar stores. Here's an interesting video of a trucker discussing it. It is a 360 degree video so grab the screen and look around the truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjAwuVV5ic
Old 10-19-2018, 2:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am on the highways and byways an awful lot nowadays and out of every ten big rigs I pass, maybe two or three have CB antennas. Must be a low cycle lately too because I'm not even receiving the clown show on 6. Just like low band, the good die young.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:42 PM

And all those morons who don't have a CB are gonna be screwed one day when the grid goes down. Hackers are in the system. It's only a matter of time before they flip the switch. But in the mean time. I'm enjoying the piece and quiet on the Radio.
Old 10-19-2018, 3:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I guess we all have our reasons for keeping the CB radio around. True, with a DC harness, a car battery and a coat hanger you can still talk to whomever is left in the neighborhood.
Old 10-19-2018, 3:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator911 View Post
I guess we all have our reasons for keeping the CB radio around. True, with a DC harness, a car battery and a coat hanger you can still talk to whomever is left in the neighborhood.
My son and I were discussing "when are we going to put your radios in your new truck, dad?" Sunday afternoon. I pretty much told you that same line. "Why do I need to put it in my truck?...."
Scanner: Realistic Pro-2026
Old 10-19-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
My son and I were discussing "when are we going to put your radios in your new truck, dad?" Sunday afternoon. I pretty much told you that same line. "Why do I need to put it in my truck?...."
LOL That old coat hanger joke never get's old.
Old 10-19-2018, 3:54 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator911 View Post
Old 10-19-2018, 4:34 PM

In my years of running the CB on I-26 its come to silence for me as well. analog scanning too. the world is moving digital.
Old 10-22-2018, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbubba010 View Post
In my years of running the CB on I-26 its come to silence for me as well. analog scanning too. the world is moving digital.
CBers have now turned their smartphones into CB radios with apps!!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's really sad because Cb was such a great way to talk while on the road. I put one in my pick up and now I'm wondering if I should've not bothered with it.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I bought a Cobra a few years back to put in my truck. All I ever heard was some guy cussing a blue streak constantly and some Mexicans that were speaking their language. After not hearing much else I took it back out. Years ago I had a handheld I kept with me on the way to work every day. The interstate I traveled had 1 or 2 lanes closed down for some reason every day and I'd listen to truckers talk about which lanes to be in so I wouldn't get pinched at the end. They don't even talk about that now.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdrebbin View Post
I bought a Cobra a few years back to put in my truck. All I ever heard was some guy cussing a blue streak constantly and some Mexicans that were speaking their language. After not hearing much else I took it back out. Years ago I had a handheld I kept with me on the way to work every day. The interstate I traveled had 1 or 2 lanes closed down for some reason every day and I'd listen to truckers talk about which lanes to be in so I wouldn't get pinched at the end. They don't even talk about that now.
That's the way 19 has become in San Diego. The locals were always yapping it up in the evenings, until the middle of the night, trying to keep the Mexicans off of it. "Mad Dog" use to really stir things up, and cause a lot of trouble, especially when truck drivers would call for some assistance in finding where they were supposed to be going. "Ghostrider" would try to play "traffic cop" so the drivers could get the information that they were looking for. First time that I was stationed at Edwards AFB, I would hear "Ghostrider" all the way up here, 200 miles away. Wasn't sure if I was catching a skip or if he was amped up. His neighbors had called FCC on him a couple times for bleeding over their TVs.

Seems like every trip down there that we leave my truck(s) at home. Had my CB in our '10 Ridgeline, '15 Silverado, and going to be putting it in my NEW '18 Silverado, soon, just waiting on the new antenna mount bracket and coax to come in. Hopefully, I'll have it in before we go down for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, going down there for one of them.

Around here, in the Antelope Valley, 19 has been dead for the most part. Would rarely catch some traffic on 19, but that's about it. I'm trying to get a few of my son's friends into using CBs, but I'll have to let my son use my CB in the truck, when it's home, until I can get a base station set up.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 PM

Now that the bands are somewhat quiet, hearing a lot of CBers online. They are using a smartphone app. called: "Online Walkie Talkie Pro". Sounding a heck of a lot like CB in the '80s.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMann View Post
Now that the bands are somewhat quiet, hearing a lot of CBers online. They are using a smartphone app. called: "Online Walkie Talkie Pro". Sounding a heck of a lot like CB in the '80s.
Are you on it now?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD0PEZ View Post
It's really sad because Cb was such a great way to talk while on the road. I put one in my pick up and now I'm wondering if I should've not bothered with it.
Not sure about your neck of the woods. I've traveled down 74 to Wilmington and not heard much but here in the mountains 19 stays pretty busy from truckers on I-40 to loggers, to dump trucks at the gravel quarry
Old 10-26-2018, 8:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just went from LA to Las Vegas up the 15. Dead...every channel. Very little in Vegas. Very little in LA. Very little on the road.
Old 10-26-2018, 9:22 PM

Still handy to have a cb even of everyone has gone to cell apps.

It is hit and miss and varies on it due to technology, along with newer younger drivers into cells and other types of communication. Isn't like the old days.

Some places you'd not hear a peep over month others it's busy.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Always something going on in the truckstops. Go park near that TA in Vegas. You'll hear folks on 19. Technology is hurting CBs out there on the highways, truckers have too many electronic toys to play with that are a lot more interesting than a CB radio, but as soon as they hit a traffic jam they switch on the talk box. 19 and 14 still busy in most truckstops, but the problem is it's probably conversations that you don't want anything to do with. Just sayin...