RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Illinois Radio Discussion Forum > Chicago Metro Area Discussion

Chicago Metro Area Discussion Forum for the discussion of Chicago Metro Area related topics in the State of Illinois. Please post ANY Chicago related posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 5:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very informative postings.

Although the info won't help me in regards to the Midway system and my 346XT, I'll keep it in mind just in case I ever have any problems with aVHF/UHF analog system that doesn't seem to be tracking.

I guess the next step (for me anyways in regards to the Midway system) is programming the system into my new PRO-106 and see if I can hear anything on it. I'll be using the ARC500 software.

SSSG

Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Had a nice exchange with Upman on the Uniden forum, and he has shown me the wrong of my ways..LOL. First was my math problem, as I sort of assumed was it. In the step, I kept multiplying 12.5 when it should have been .0125 (Which he has now updated his Wiki). That would give me a new upper base of 411.7375 for the Metropolitan Correctional Center. this formula also worked for the Midway and O'Hare UHF trunking system, which I wrongly disputed as being the upper base frequency...sorry Ted and WB9. Was also corrected on the Band Plan, which I thought was some sort of friggen genius...LOL. Since it's a single site system, only Band Plan 1 is needed, and I eliminated Band Plan 2 in all three of my UHF Trunking Systems, and happy to report, trunking perfectly. Their was some concern their was a defect exposed in the firmware, but was quickly put in my place..lol. I suspect their may be a few other "newbie XT" users that will encounter these problems. I'm happy to report I made it more of a problem than it really was. So time to eat crow, get the proverbial foot out of the mouth and enjoy the scanner. I also think we may need to update the Database for future users of Uniden scanners as it looks like this may be the UHF/VHF Trunking program of the future.
Old 09-01-2009, 3:36 PM

Hey, thats what the scanning world is about, guys like you Dave jumping in with both feet and it brought out the correct way to trunk the system...Thank goodness we only have things like Starcom down here in the southern boonies...Good work werinshades!!....
Old 09-01-2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJoliet View Post
Hey, thats what the scanning world is about, guys like you Dave jumping in with both feet and it brought out the correct way to trunk the system...Thank goodness we only have things like Starcom down here in the southern boonies...Good work werinshades!!....
Thanks Ron. I also sent updates to the Database which were quickly added. Their is now a section under Miscellaneous for XT series users, which shows both the lower and upper base frequencies....nice work cubn. I even received a confirmation e-mail when the change was made...never had that before, but it's been awhile since I submitted a change.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is this to be the case with the O'hare uhf system?
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2009, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY2002 View Post
For the UHF Digital system....Yes.

The O Hare and Midway systems both are Moto 400Mhz digi's but not P25. Just program as Moto. And once again, big thanks to Werinshades for all the calls and time spent sitting in front of your scanners until you were dizzy. Your effort was really appeciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY2002 View Post
Yes, I sent an update for that one as well.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statevillian View Post
For the UHF Digital system....Yes.

The O Hare and Midway systems both are Moto 400Mhz digi's but not P25. Just program as Moto. And once again, big thanks to Werinshades for all the calls and time spent sitting in front of your scanners until you were dizzy. Your effort was really appeciated.
Thanks villian, it was worth the effort. Now if we can just get the Starcom sites to be sooo easy...LOL. !
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Default Database Update

Sent an update to the database with the correct channel assignments as of 9-1-09. Also submitted some additional information in the Miscellaneous section...thanks again cubn.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Default New Emergency Frequency

Didn't want to start a whole new thread with this tidbit of information. Midway Airport has recently been approved for a new dedicated Emergency frequency of 135.250 for ARFF responses. This should be starting at anytime. Currently the Ground frequency is being used. I have updated the database..
Old 10-06-2013, 3:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've noticed the XTS5000's have been replacing the XTS3000's at Midway. It seems this TRS will continue to be active since the privatization deal is no longer on the table. (for now)... Southwest went digital, Volaris & Porter adding more international flights, New parking garage on the north side of the airport.(near fuel farm) Glad to see more development at the world's busiest square mile. Lots to listen too out here!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin1987 View Post
I've noticed the XTS5000's have been replacing the XTS3000's at Midway. It seems this TRS will continue to be active since the privatization deal is no longer on the table. (for now)... Southwest went digital, Volaris & Porter adding more international flights, New parking garage on the north side of the airport.(near fuel farm) Glad to see more development at the world's busiest square mile. Lots to listen too out here!

Southwest switched to a Motorola TRBO System. Haven't heard if the new Uniden's will be able to monitor TRBO systems yet, but that is what's needed.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Airport electric has been communicating with Midway tower on the Operations TG instead of Midway ground. I wonder if this is common practice at Midway aswell as O'hare?
Old 11-22-2013, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin1987 View Post
Airport electric has been communicating with Midway tower on the Operations TG instead of Midway ground. I wonder if this is common practice at Midway aswell as O'hare?
I believe they are doing practice runs via the Trunking System at Midway.
Old 11-23-2013, 6:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
This is not correct. I have 2 scanners running this system, the 796D tracks it, while the 996XT does not. If I hold the control channel, the talkgroups show but no audio. We need a simpler math to figure this out...
So I was correct! I notice with my 996 it does not ask for one. But my 996xt does. Iwonder why?
Old 11-23-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB9WUV View Post
So I was correct! I notice with my 996 it does not ask for one. But my 996xt does. Iwonder why?
You resurrected an old post. We have the formula on the Database and I've been tracking it with my 996XT for quite awhile now.
Old 11-25-2013, 7:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Broom teams and trades are broadcasting on Com 1 which is bleeding over into Operations TG. Radio shop techs looking into it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Radioman testing on TG 621 RID 13501.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Also testing with RID 20221.
Old 04-01-2014, 3:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Standby Alert on Runway 31 Center!