RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Illinois Radio Discussion Forum > Chicago Metro Area Discussion

Chicago Metro Area Discussion Forum for the discussion of Chicago Metro Area related topics in the State of Illinois. Please post ANY Chicago related posts here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 6:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Starcom-21 Cook-south tower location

Maybe it's too early in the morning and my brain is still half asleep, but I can't seem to find a map that shows locations of the Starcom21 towers. Does anyone know where the Cook-south tower is located? Right now I'm still in the south Suburbs, but next week I'll be moving to Northwest Indiana and I'm trying to determine if I'll still be able to monitor the Starcom system.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Old 01-25-2014, 9:14 AM

It's not *a* tower, it's a *series* of towers.

Usually, you can get excellent maps of the towers right here on RR by looking at the database.

If you go to the SC21 page, you'll see that the "tower" names are clickable. When you click on one, you'll get more information - the important part to look for is the callsign/callsigns. Those are clickable too, and when you click you will normally get a map of where all the transmitters are.

However, for the Cook South site, the one and only call sign displayed doesn't have a map associated with it. But if you look at other sites, you'll get really nice maps. DuPage is a good example.

Unsure why Cook South is this way.

Getting to your question - it all depends on the equipment you're using. Using commercial gear I can listen to SC21 from 25-35+ miles away from the closest transmitter. Scanner is more like 15, maybe 20.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Here's a map of all the tower locations so you can see which ones will be within range: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4b4f35c71cd5b4
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytwo View Post
It's not *a* tower, it's a *series* of towers.

Usually, you can get excellent maps of the towers right here on RR by looking at the database.

If you go to the SC21 page, you'll see that the "tower" names are clickable. When you click on one, you'll get more information - the important part to look for is the callsign/callsigns. Those are clickable too, and when you click you will normally get a map of where all the transmitters are.

However, for the Cook South site, the one and only call sign displayed doesn't have a map associated with it. But if you look at other sites, you'll get really nice maps. DuPage is a good example.

Unsure why Cook South is this way.

Getting to your question - it all depends on the equipment you're using. Using commercial gear I can listen to SC21 from 25-35+ miles away from the closest transmitter. Scanner is more like 15, maybe 20.
Equipment will probably be my PSR-800 and PRO-197 scanners with antennas up in the attic. Looking at the map provided by cubn, it looks like the closest tower to my location is in/near Burnham, about 10 miles from where I'll be moving to, so hopefully reception will still be pretty good. Here in Alsip, reception has been quite good....once I figured out what the heck I was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubn View Post
Here's a map of all the tower locations so you can see which ones will be within range: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4b4f35c71cd5b4
Thanks for the link cubn, I really appreciate it. With that info, I was able to determine that a tower will be within about 10 miles of my new location.

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate the information.

Old 01-25-2014, 4:10 PM

Just FYI, while that Google map is pretty good, it's not up to date - I noticed the new north Cook/NWCD system towers aren't on there, for example.

Still a decent map though.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2014, 7:29 PM

Default Starcom-21 Cook-south tower location

Now I understand why I loose reception while on the Ryan from 75th-95th St. Nice map.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, got my scanners hooked up at my new place today and I'm pretty pleased with the reception I'm getting of the Starcom system. My PRO-197 and PSR-800 pick it up very well (only a few garbled transmissions so far), but my HP-1 is deaf for some reason. No big loss however. Two out of three scanners picking up the system here in NWI is pretty good in my book.

Old 02-06-2014, 8:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That Google map of the Starcomm locations is definately out of date (2009). It is missing 6 of the Dupage (Site 101) towers. I can only imagine how many statewide it is missing.