RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Coax Cable and Connectors

Coax Cable and Connectors For general discussion of all things pertaining to coax cable, wave guide or any other medium for passing RF energy. This includes connectors, weather proofing and grounding.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Is this resistance check on my coax connections OK?

I have a ST2 antenna with the 50' rg6 coax that came with it. The antenna has not been put up yet. I connected the 300 to 75 ohm transformer to the antenna. With the 50' of coax connected to the transformer, I did a continuity check on the "F" connector, at the other end of the coax, from the center pin to the outside of the F connector, where the threads are, and my analog meter needle shoots over to the right of the display.
Is this what it's suppose to read/do?
I know when I checked the coax when it wasn't connected to anything, touching the center pin to the outside casing of the F connector, my meter didn't move at all which I believe to be correct but I'm not sure when it's all connected to the antenna if the center pin and outside casing are suppose to show my needle moving.

Sorry if the lingo is rudimentary but I'm not that familiar with multimeters but I do know how to check for resistance and some basic tests.

Thanks for any assistance with this question.
ST-2 Antenna by Antennacraft

Last edited by Blackink; 07-30-2013 at 8:22 PM.. Reason: Changed resistance check to continuity check (in the message, not the thread title)
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2013, 12:19 AM

That would be correct. The 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun will appear as a DC short. When you check between the two leads on the 300 ohm side, or between the center and outer on the 75 ohm side, you will see a short (needle swing to the right). Even "looking down" the coax towards it, you will see this short.

Removing the balun and checking your coax will/should show an open between the center conductor and outer shield.

Sounds like everything is correct to me.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

This should help you visualize it.

Rich
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 7:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the reply's all. I feel better knowing it's correct.
ST-2 Antenna by Antennacraft