Is there such a thing as "flat" coax cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I apologize in advance if this has been asked, but a search didn't find anything definitive.

Wondering if there such a thing as flat coax cable for a scanner. I live in an apartment building, so drilling holes is out of the question. Would like to run an antenna cable around the edges of my bedroom windows, but regular coax leave a little gap that cold air could enter through. If I could find something flat, that would (probably) eliminate the gap, or at least reduce its size.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

KA9QPN

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Or, if you didn't want to spend that kind of money, I'm sure that you could clone such a thing with bulkhead SO239s and sheet aluminum or steel. Caulk it in place and drill a stop in the windowpane frame to keep the window from being opened any wider (I do this anyway on my ground floor windows just because). I use a sheet metal screw through a cabinet bumper/foot.

The SO239 and associated connectors will likely introduce some loss; more with higher frequencies. There has to be a tradeoff someplace.

Tom KA9QPN

LtDoc

There are versions of 'flat coax' available from a few sources. Whether it's really 'coaxial' cable or not, is a good question. I've never seen any first-hand so can't say. It seems it's only available in short sections so I sort of have doubts about it being 'coaxial'. I'd have to tear it apart to see for myself.
There are several ways of getting through a window, they have been suggested here. In your stated instance, why not just plug that gap with something to keep the cool/hot air out? Whatever your imagination can conger up...
- 'Doc

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
One thing you could try is to locate a piece of wood that is at least high enough where when you put it between the top of the windowsill and the bottom of the window it is AS THICK or THICKER than the coax. Make sure the wood is long enough to run all the way from left to right with no gaps. Next, drill a “slot” that is large enough to fit your coax. Lay the cable across this slot, the close the window. Yes, I realize the window won’t lock – if that is an issue then this won’t work, but if it’s not an issue then this will seal the gaps.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I drilled a small hole in one of the lower corners of the window sill, just low enough to clear the bottom side of the window. I fed the coax thru the hole and installed my connector. The hole is so small (rg58 coax) nobody will notice when you decide to move out. You could even caulk it when you move out and paint it to match the surrounding color.

Tim

bcarney

Wondering if there such a thing as flat coax cable for a scanner. I live in an apartment building, so drilling holes is out of the question. Would like to run an antenna cable around the edges of my bedroom windows, but regular coax leave a little gap that cold air could enter through. If I could find something flat, that would (probably) eliminate the gap, or at least reduce its size.

Not sure if this would work with a scanner, but I use these with my shortwave/mw/longwave gear:

Comet CTC-50M Feed Through CTC50M

Very, very handy - and the window/doors close properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.