Two troopers injured, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Date: December 17, 2010 Time: 6:45 p.m.

From CSP

This morning at approximately 5:15 a.m., a Colorado State Trooper was injured when he was struck by a vehicle while investigating a crash on I-25 north of Pueblo. The trooper was in the process of investigating crashes on northbound I-25 near milepost 108 when a series of additional crashes occurred across the interstate involving approximately eight vehicles.

The trooper was out of his patrol car assisting the passenger of a vehicle that struck the guardrail when that car was then hit. The car was pushed into the trooper pinning him between the car and the guardrail. The trooper sustained moderate injuries and was transported to an area hospital where he remains this evening.

The injured officer is identified as Trooper Brian Kohnlein. Kohnlein has been with the Colorado State Patrol for four years and is currently assigned to Troop 2D in Pueblo. A departmental photo of Trooper Kohnlein is attached.

Trooper Kohnlein is the second trooper to be struck by a vehicle within the last 48 hours. On Wednesday afternoon, Trooper Markus Winter was assisting the driver of a semi on I-70 near Frisco when a Dodge pickup lost control striking Trooper Winter’s car pushing it into him. In that case, the trooper sustained moderate injuries as well.

“These two incidents are a significant reminder of the importance of driving with due regard in inclement weather, especially as you approach emergency vehicles,” said Colonel James Wolfinbarger, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol. “While the outcome of these crashes could have been much worse, we have two officers whose injuries will have an impact on their ability to enjoy the holiday with their families.”

In the 75 year history of the Colorado State Patrol four troopers have lost their lives in the line of duty as a result of being struck by a vehicle.

“Whether it is a police officer or a fire fighter, a highway worker or a tow truck operator, our roads are full of men and women who work tirelessly to make sure we get to our destinations safely,” Colonel Wolfinbarger said. “Every one of them has a family and that is why we ask everyone to please slow down.”

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Since the Colonel has to remain polite and respectful as a Public Servant, I'll say it..."SLOW THE HELL DOWN, MORONS!"

Anyone who routinely travels the interstates in Colorado throughout the year will tell you that slowing down, especially when the weather and road conditions are "sketchy", can and will help make sure everyone makes it home in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.