Aircraft down near Carter Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Single engine aircraft down near Carter Lake (SW of Loveland) with fully engulfed, with grass fire.
one confirmed code: Black
move up from PFA and Weld CO.

O/F: Larimer Co MA1

updates as I hear them.
73, Rex

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Still working on putting out fire, this incident is about 1 hour old.
I can see smoke plume at home qth in Severance approx. 28 miles away.
add:
Larimer Co firenet 154.385
Loveland fire tg 4
updates as I hear them
73, Rex

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
From LCSO PIO

DATE: December 27, 2010

At approximately 2:45 PM on December 27, 2010, Larimer County Sheriff's Office Dispatch Center received a report of a downed aircraft west of Carter Lake in Loveland which ignited a small fire. Emergency personnel responded to the area and found a single engine aircraft. One fatality has been confirmed by personnel at the scene.

Larimer County Emergency Services units report that the two-acre fire started by the downed aircraft is under control and in the mop-up stages. Units will remain on scene tonight.

The NTSB will be on scene tomorrow. The Larimer County Coroner's Office will issue the identification and manner and cause of death of the fatality.

No further information will be released tonight.

wuzafuzz

Really...?

"9NEWS has learned the plane is registered to _______________. 9NEWS spoke with his family on Monday and they say they have not heard from him. However, it is unclear whether he was on board the plane when it crashed."

I sure hope the news folks weren't the first people to contact that family. Do they check with law enforcement or coroner before making that call? If not, they deserve a boot to the head award.

News Fail #2: one of 9News' videos on the story used a file photo of a Civil Air Patrol aircraft. Nice. It wasn't a CAP plane. Hard to believe they couldn't find a photo of a plane that wasn't branded.

Last edited:

jim202

wuzafuzz; News Fail #2: one of 9News' videos on the story used a file photo of a Civil Air Patrol aircraft. Nice. It wasn't a CAP plane. Hard to believe they couldn't find a photo of a plane that wasn't branded.[/QUOTE said:
How do you figure that all aircraft used in a search are going to be painted with big "CAP" letters all over it?

wuzafuzz

How do you figure that all aircraft used in a search are going to be painted with big "CAP" letters all over it?

That wasn't my point. CAP was not involved with this incident in any way. Yet the news used a file photo of CAP aircraft in conjunction with the crash story. I suggest they could have found a photo of a plain Jane plane with generic markings, or even a computer graphic.

That was just a secondary comment though. My bigger concern was the TV news taking the apparent initiative to contact the plane owners family to inquire "did you hear" about the crash? If the owner did indeed perish in that crash, a call from the news looking for scoop would be an even worse way to learn of a loved one's death.

rickak

I sure hope the news folks weren't the first people to contact that family. Do they check with law enforcement or coroner before making that call? .

Yeah I caught that too. They were really careful about not giving a name over the air but gave the tail number, I guess they cant give that either.

Pretty pathetic if it indeed happened this way. Makes me rethink reporting what I hear and providing recorded audio if this is what they are going to do with it.

Pathetic.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I caught that too. They were really careful about not giving a name over the air but gave the tail number, I guess they cant give that either.

Pretty pathetic if it indeed happened this way. Makes me rethink reporting what I hear and providing recorded audio if this is what they are going to do with it.

Pathetic.

LCSO and the LC Coroners Office had already contacted the family long before the media did.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Source LCCO

Lyons man identified as pilot in deadly plan crash west of Loveland
The man who died in a plane crash west of Loveland, near Carter Lake on Monday has been identified as 50-year-old Charles R. Cullum of Lyons.

According to a press release from the Larimer County Coroner's office, Cullum was positively identified by fingerprints. The cause of death has been ruled accidental by multiple blunt force trauma, the coroner's office said.
Federal and local investigators are continuing to examine what caused Cullum's single-engine plane to crash in remote terrain after he issued a mayday call on Monday.
Allen Kenitzer, a regional spokesman for the FAA, said air-traffic controllers heard the pilot calling for help around 2:45 p.m. Monday.
"Our air traffic people did receive a mayday call from that airplane and then nothing," he said.
The air-traffic controllers who heard the call, which was broadcast on an emergency frequency, are based at the FAA's regional air-traffic control center in Longmont.
Kenitzer said the plane went down under "unknown circumstances" and that investigators were still working to determine whether the pilot had filed a flight plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.