New fire W of Loveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

0430 hrs:
Two to three acres off Hwy 34 (1 mile east of mm82) in Big Thompson Canyon.
LFD and PFA making plans for further assessment and extended attack plan.
It is in steep terrain on USFS land.

The Spud.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Drove through the area on Hwy 34 at 0530 lots of assets in place and preparing. This is very rugged terrain and not very accessable. Some of the fire was on the slopes in the canyon. This is on the South side of Hwy 34 and right near the entrance to Big Thompson Canyon right near the "Dam Store"
I would guess that they will be calling for some air assets to begin flying early.

Only traffic I have heard is on Larimer Co Mut Aid 1 (TGid 4054) and heard mention of V21 same tac channel as the last fire.

updates as I hear them.

73, Rex

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Discussion a little while ago on Larimer MAC-1 was about getting CDOT signage and preparing for slurry drops real near the road.

Vicinity of Sylvan Dale Ranch.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
SEAT is a" Single Engine Air Tanker", basically a crop duster with fire retardant but has turbine engine instead of reciprocating engine

73, Rex

Denverpilot

SEAT is a" Single Engine Air Tanker", basically a crop duster with fire retardant but has turbine engine instead of reciprocating engine

73, Rex

Unless they've changed the contract bid requirements, not all SEATs everywhere are turbine powered. It's just that the ones around here, typically are.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
All of the SEATs planes I've seen in Colorado and Wyoming are the Air Tractors with the turbine engines.
Aircraft | Air Tractor
After working on aircraft in the Air Force for 21 years I couldn't imagine trying to fly a SEATs with a recip
engine into the mountainous areas. That would definately create a big "pucker" factor.

73, Rex

Denverpilot

All of the SEATs planes I've seen in Colorado and Wyoming are the Air Tractors with the turbine engines.
Aircraft | Air Tractor
After working on aircraft in the Air Force for 21 years I couldn't imagine trying to fly a SEATs with a recip
engine into the mountainous areas. That would definately create a big "pucker" factor.

73, Rex

Correct. They're used in lower elevation areas and flatland if at all. Up here, you need the ponies. And even then, you better know what you're doing.

Mountain + Airplane, Airplane always loses. ;)

Some are Pilatus and not Air Tractor out West here. Newer tech, same general idea and configuration.

Some really nice photos of just about everything that flies out of the base at Metro over on the Colorado Aviation Photographers group on Facebook, for those who like such things. Both the local SEATs and the various heavies that visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.