Denver District 4 ongoing pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
For anyone listening to Denver tonight, did District 4 brass tell cars to stop pursuing the vehicle Air 1 has been following for the last 40+ minutes? For at least 20 minutes it sounds like Air-1 has been pursuing the party all alone, with no ground units following. Are they hoping he eventually breaks down or stops and goes inside a residence? Also, anyone know what the original charges were (i.e. besides traffic, failure to yield, etc.)?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Wow, it sounds like Air 1 might have to land for fuel if they don't get this idiot soon, this is crazy. I wish we had the video feed, like we had with the News chopper-led chase last year.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Ugh, this call did not end well, everyone terminated and he got away (for now). It sounds like they suspect the party had an actual scanner listening to Air-1. Does anyone really believe listening to Air-1, while being followed by Air-1, would materially assist you in fleeing from Air-1? I don't buy it for a second. As I understand it, the best thing a "smart" criminal could do while being followed by a helicopter, is to somehow dump your vehicle and go into buildings, brush, foliage, underground tunnels or other discrete locations where the damn helicopter CAN'T SEE YOU. That basically excludes any roadways or other areas in public view. Also, wouldn't anyone with half a brain know they were being followed by a helicopter constantly, just by seeing the helicopter itself??

Obviously this party never got out of sight, he was just willing to make more risks than DPD (i.e. drive insanely on sidestreets with tons of intersections, pedestrians, etc where a pursuit is very dangerous). He obviously didn't want to risk getting on a highway, where they would have a better chance at deploying sticks.

Last edited:

dw2872

They always seem to think the criminals must be listening to a scanner if they can't catch them. That's a cop out.

AggressionCO

I feel that if they were smart enough to be monitoring the radio, they would be smart enough to not drive a stolen car like a bat out of hell and get spotted by a helicopter. They knew they were being followed when the first officer tried to light them up and then additional units got close enough to get the license plate, plus Air-1 isn't really that stealthy. The only suggestion I would have is for Air-1 to not advise their fuel level OTA.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I feel that if they were smart enough to be monitoring the radio, they would be smart enough to not drive a stolen car like a bat out of hell and get spotted by a helicopter. They knew they were being followed when the first officer tried to light them up and then additional units got close enough to get the license plate, plus Air-1 isn't really that stealthy. The only suggestion I would have is for Air-1 to not advise their fuel level OTA.

Police would have better success just allowing the suspect to run with out marked units pursuing... Let him 'think' he got away, then he will calm down, all the while the helicopter can call the suspect location and get covert and K-9 units in close to parallel and follow un-noticed until they can box him in. While a helicopter is not covert, if it is something like a NOTAR or EC-120, they are really quiet, and likely won't be noticed by the suspect until it is too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denverpilot

Police would have better success just allowing the suspect to run with out marked units pursuing... Let him 'think' he got away, then he will calm down, all the while the helicopter can call the suspect location and get covert and K-9 units in close to parallel and follow un-noticed until they can box him in. While a helicopter is not covert, if it is something like a NOTAR or EC-120, they are really quiet, and likely won't be noticed by the suspect until it is too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Homework for you: How many LE agencies still have helicopters in their budgets in Colorado? Don't worry, you won't need to take your shoes and socks off to count.

Won't even need more than one hand unless you've had a tragic wood shop accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.