New Denver Fire Stations Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LMJ

This just out of the Chief's meetings on Friday 10/3/08-

Station 18 is a bonded station and ground breaking is expected in the next 3 months. It will be located near Lowery at Alameda Ave and Xenia St on the N side of Alameda E of the Amli at Lowery apartments. Several months back, there was rumor that 19s a pair would be split and the truck would be relocated to 18s. Now, there is not an answer at this time as to what will staff it. It is expected to be completed 9 months after ground breaking.

Station 35 is going to located at 51st Ave and Beeler St near the Northfield Shopping District. At this time, the city is working with the developer to obtain the land and the station is not expected to be built until the need arises. But it sounds like all that needs to be done is a few signatures and the land is ours for future development.

Older news for those that don't know, Skyline has been acquired. The station remains property of the fire district. The district will pay the city approx $200,000/yr for fire protection. Denver got the ALF rig and it was repainted white. Engine 19 is expected to get that rig very soon after some minor modifications. 22s and 24s first in are close enough to Skyline that they can cover without the need for Skyline's station.

Some rumors going around the DFD were we were looking at possibly merging Englewood and Sheridan FDs....well...those are just rumors at this time. There is NO talk at any level that I have my ear on, both on the DFD and Englewood sides.

And that's that in a nut shell!

KB9LMJ

Northfield is covered by 26s, Dicks is covered by South Adams. 56th is the boundary.

Warbirdhunter

Wow DFD looking to merge with Englewood and Sheridan? Wow sooner or later there is just going to be 3-4 districts for the front range. Any news on what they plan on doing with the old skyline fire house? Seems kind of dumb to pay for an empty building. At leased they could use it for storage or something I would think. Am I wrong?

KB9LMJ

Wow sooner or later there is just going to be 3-4 districts for the front range.
God willing! (Just kidding)

Any news on what they plan on doing with the old skyline fire house? Seems kind of dumb to pay for an empty building. At leased they could use it for storage or something I would think. Am I wrong?

Looking at the intergovernmental agreement may clear some things up:

First off, Skyline Fire Protection District still exists. The citizens of that unincorporated area still pay a mil levy for fire protection to Skyline Fire. Skyline just signed an intergovernmental agreement that is good though 31 Dec 2014 for DFD to provide services to their district. At that time, the agreement can be annulled, or renewed. Skyline agrees to pay approx 9 mils ($210,000/yr) to DFD to provide services to their district exclusively. The American LaFrance and the Scott NexGen Airpacks Skyline has are part of the agreement. They provided DFD with the money to repaint/retrofit equipment, and use the NexGens. The firehouse remains property of Skyline Fire Dist and what they do with it is up to them. DFD will do all fire cause and origin investigations, as well as preplans and inspections. Any fire code violation will be forwarded to the Skyline Board of Directors, and DFD will cooperate and support any investigation/prosecution of violations by the appropriate authorities in Arapahoe Co.

A joint advisory board will be established with 2 members from Skyline and 2 members from DFD. There's a lot of blah blah blah and this and that, but mainly it states the board will keep the interests of both parties in mind and allow for cooperation between the 2 districts.

Again, this is a term contract between the agencies which allows for Skyline to become their own district again after 31 Dec 2014 or any breech of contract if they so choose. The general consensus is, now that this has been established it will renew after the term. Skyline simply can not provide the same level of fire protection that DFD can with the money that they receive in mil levy collection....simple as that. And now that they have access to much more resources than they can ever pay for, I don't think much will change come term time.

Hope that helps, and I'll keep an ear out for more as it comes.

Warbirdhunter

God willing! (Just kidding)

Looking at the intergovernmental agreement may clear some things up:

First off, Skyline Fire Protection District still exists. The citizens of that unincorporated area still pay a mil levy for fire protection to Skyline Fire. Skyline just signed an intergovernmental agreement that is good though 31 Dec 2014 for DFD to provide services to their district. At that time, the agreement can be annulled, or renewed. Skyline agrees to pay approx 9 mils ($210,000/yr) to DFD to provide services to their district exclusively. The American LaFrance and the Scott NexGen Airpacks Skyline has are part of the agreement. They provided DFD with the money to repaint/retrofit equipment, and use the NexGens. The firehouse remains property of Skyline Fire Dist and what they do with it is up to them. DFD will do all fire cause and origin investigations, as well as preplans and inspections. Any fire code violation will be forwarded to the Skyline Board of Directors, and DFD will cooperate and support any investigation/prosecution of violations by the appropriate authorities in Arapahoe Co.

A joint advisory board will be established with 2 members from Skyline and 2 members from DFD. There's a lot of blah blah blah and this and that, but mainly it states the board will keep the interests of both parties in mind and allow for cooperation between the 2 districts.

Again, this is a term contract between the agencies which allows for Skyline to become their own district again after 31 Dec 2014 or any breech of contract if they so choose. The general consensus is, now that this has been established it will renew after the term. Skyline simply can not provide the same level of fire protection that DFD can with the money that they receive in mil levy collection....simple as that. And now that they have access to much more resources than they can ever pay for, I don't think much will change come term time.

Hope that helps, and I'll keep an ear out for more as it comes.

Yep, got it now. Thanks Sir!

JeffTurner

This just out of the Chief's meetings on Friday 10/3/08-

Station 18 is a bonded station and ground breaking is expected in the next 3 months. It will be located near Lowery at Alameda Ave and Xenia St on the N side of Alameda E of the Amli at Lowery apartments. Several months back, there was rumor that 19s a pair would be split and the truck would be relocated to 18s. Now, there is not an answer at this time as to what will staff it. It is expected to be completed 9 months after ground breaking.

Station 35 is going to located at 51st Ave and Beeler St near the Northfield Shopping District. At this time, the city is working with the developer to obtain the land and the station is not expected to be built until the need arises. But it sounds like all that needs to be done is a few signatures and the land is ours for future development.

Older news for those that don't know, Skyline has been acquired. The station remains property of the fire district. The district will pay the city approx $200,000/yr for fire protection. Denver got the ALF rig and it was repainted white. Engine 19 is expected to get that rig very soon after some minor modifications. 22s and 24s first in are close enough to Skyline that they can cover without the need for Skyline's station.

Some rumors going around the DFD were we were looking at possibly merging Englewood and Sheridan FDs....well...those are just rumors at this time. There is NO talk at any level that I have my ear on, both on the DFD and Englewood sides.

And that's that in a nut shell!

Hey Travis,

The Sheridan, Englewood rumor is one that's been around for awhile I guess... I'm guessing that it's more serious now since Denver took over Glendale and Skyline and kind of paved the way to change the City Charter...

One thing that will be interesting is the changes for the Medics in those cities since Denver is a BLS only gig for now... At least until December when the Safety Audit results are announced, there hasn't been one good thing about that at all so far... not suprised at all with the lack of leadership there lately, it didn't always be that way as I'm sure you know...

That Station 35 gig is an interesting one for sure... I had heard about a new station up there, but didn't know where exactly...

thanks for the info...

Jeff

jfab

One thing that will be interesting is the changes for the Medics in those cities since Denver is a BLS only gig for now... At least until December when the Safety Audit results are announced, there hasn't been one good thing about that at all so far... not suprised at all with the lack of leadership there lately, it didn't always be that way as I'm sure you know...
So is DG going to cover the Skyline area Denver took over now?

JeffTurner

Originally no, Cunningham was still running in but now DG is taking all the medicals there.

And then Cunnigham can run the Denver OLFA calls that they can't run.... LOL

DISCLAIMER -- THAT WAS A JOKE AND SHOULD NOT BE READ IN TO ANYMORE THAN THAT... That is all....

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Especially post DNC and since the move of all OLFA's to Green 1 it's interesting actually how many Denver calls Cunningham and Rural Metro especially are running which they never used too.

Wow novel idea RM medics actually being able to operate to there level of training and not just as ambulance drivers!

Jim<

JeffTurner

Never mind, thanks "godfather" :lol:

For others that may not know... "Over Load Field Ambulance" It's when DG turfs a call that they can't handle and it's given to a private agency like AMR, Rural/Metro etc or I used to like to use South Metro 32's for Police District 3 area, Platte Valley for the airport, etc.... I understand that they process is a lot wider now.

Jeff

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
AMR, West Metro, South Metro, Cunningham, North Wash, Northglenn, Action Care and Rural Metro all seem to be taking OLFA's pretty frequently these days.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.