Civil Air Patrol Moving 148.125 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0nhj

In way too deep...
Feed Provider
Last week I found that the Civil Air Patrol has started swapping out the VHF repeaters.

Abajo Peak (SE Utah/W of Cortez) was Narrowband, and now operating on 148.125 (unsure on the input), also heard on the evening net that Black Ridge (w of Grand Junction) would be done the following day.

Chuck

ecps92

Does anyone have a list of the OLD CAP Rptr Sites [Freq/Tones]

That way we can match them [one for one] to the new Freq's and Tones
as they hold a NET or an FTX. Tones will change as well.

The inputs have changed as well, still in the 143 Band tho.

148.1250 will become the Primary Rptr channel
148.1500 will now be a Secondary Rptr channel

Last week I found that the Civil Air Patrol has started swapping out the VHF repeaters.

Abajo Peak (SE Utah/W of Cortez) was Narrowband, and now operating on 148.125 (unsure on the input), also heard on the evening net that Black Ridge (w of Grand Junction) would be done the following day.

Chuck

crockettma

Over the past couple of years, CAP has gotten very sensitive about disclosing frequencies. It would actually be an operational security violation for any CAP member to disclose the frequencies.

ecps92

There are many other sources other than CAP to obtain the frequencies, one of them involved Monitoring and Searching.

Many Scannists have lists of the old info, which would help in mapping out the conversion to Narrowband.

It just takes a little time to monitor the nets and notice the change in Frequency and CTCSS tone, as well as folks training/experimenting with the P25 capabilites that CAP will get.

Over the past couple of years, CAP has gotten very sensitive about disclosing frequencies. It would actually be an operational security violation for any CAP member to disclose the frequencies.

crockettma

Even if there are other ways to obtain the frequencies and tones, if an organization is going out of it's way to not disclose it's frequencies, there is probably a reason behind it that should be respected. I don't see why anybody not involved in CAP activities would have an actual need (as opposed to a desire) to know.

ecps92

You have much to learn young-Scannist :cool:

There are all forms of monitoring that are open to monitoring [such as Civil Air Patrol] that folks monitor routinely, even with No involvement with the agency.

The same applies to your local Police, Fire and EMS. But that is getting off topic, I would urge you to browse thru more of the forms to learn more about the Radio Hobby and it's expansive opportunities for monitoring, even [dare I say] the Federal Government and Military [ O my ] :wink:

Even if there are other ways to obtain the frequencies and tones, if an organization is going out of it's way to not disclose it's frequencies, there is probably a reason behind it that should be respected. I don't see why anybody not involved in CAP activities would have an actual need (as opposed to a desire) to know.

crockettma

Opportunity does not equal just cause. If the sheer ability to monitor frequencies that the owners do not want you to monitor is reason enough to do it, it sounds to me like somebody needs to take some ethics classes. Integrity can be summed up as doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking (or in this case, hearing you on their frequencies).

mlindler

Premium Subscriber

I don't know of many organizations (LE, FD, EMS, EMD, Railroad, Utilities, FED , Military, ect..) that openly publishes their frequencies / talk groups and hopes (wants) people to listen. However, listening is a hobby for many people, and you are posting and looking around on www.radioreference.com which is the largest site on the web for scanner enthusiast to congregate and share knowledge and information. A lot of that information includes frequencies and changes to frequencies as enthusiast take notice. You are correct that most people do not have a “need to know” but rather a “desire” to know because it’s just a hobby. Look around on this site and you will find that people are interested in listening to anything you can imagine including the Civil Air Patrol which is what prompted this thread.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

Like they say "In God we Trust all Others We Monitor!".

Jim<

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
21st Century-The Era of Fear!

Crockettma,
Don't let them suck you into their cycle of fear. I seriously doubt Al-Kaa-Hey-Duuh operatives are lurking behind every tree in Colorado just to listen to or disrupt CAP communications. That mandate came from a manager high up in the government who knows that in order to keep the money flowing to support their organizational fifedoms they have to keep the populace in fear. I spent a week in Colorado back in June and the only CAP communications I heard sounded like 2-meter ham radio conversations. Pretty boring and routine stuff. It is my strong belief that if a radio signal is traveling through my body and I can intercept and decode it, it's fair game to monitor.

Mark

wuzafuzz

CAP members are prohibited from disclosing frequency data because they belong to the Air Force, and Ma Blue has rules that say they shouldn't be disclosed. No black ops helicopter conspiracies, just operational security. Since CAP does play with the AF from time to time, there you are. Members agree to follow the rules when they join...so simple integrity applies. BTW, most CAP members don't have the frequencies, just channel names.

If you can figure it out on your own, go for it.

CAP has a major state-wide exercise planned this weekend. Monitor all bands attributed to CAP and you'll probably figure out all the freqs and channels you want to know.

ecps92

What does Monitoring have to do with "Hearing You on their Frequencies" :confused:

I'm not in CAP, and have no need of transmitting on their frequencies. I do listen, which is not illegal. [ Me thinks we have a troll, anyone have some Troll-Away, mine must have worn off ]

The only time, I was on a CAP Frequency was back in the 90's when there was an MOU between CAP and another Federal Agency for interop, and then the Frequency wasn't even in the VHF [most known CAP use] but on a channel in UHF for Head-Cap [HQ] from Maxwell AFB

Opportunity does not equal just cause. If the sheer ability to monitor frequencies that the owners do not want you to monitor is reason enough to do it, it sounds to me like somebody needs to take some ethics classes. Integrity can be summed up as doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking (or in this case, hearing you on their frequencies).

rcvmo

Next thing you know CAP will use P25 with encryption

It has been tested and tired here in michigan for a few years now. Encryption is not out of the question.
rcvmo

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Does anyone have PL tone information for the analog repeaters or NACs for the P25 stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.