RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Colorado Radio Discussion Forum

Colorado Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Colorado.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 5:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

mshowman,

Thanks for the further info.

If you discover anything else, good / bad / indifferent, I'm still interested.

Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I switched my feed over to a roof mount antenna and took the 800 around with me for a bit using the RS 800Mhz antenna. I will say there is a definite improvement in reception using the Radio Shack antenna over the stock one for listening to the Colorado DTRS at least. If you go with the 800 and will be primarily listening to agencies on DTRS, I would definitely spend the $20 and pick one up.

Biggest negatives I've found are just personal preferences - I prefer a volume knob on top as opposed to the up/down buttons, and a keypad lock would be useful as on occasion I accidentally lock out channels.
Old 05-14-2011, 5:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshowman View Post
I switched my feed over to a roof mount antenna and took the 800 around with me for a bit using the RS 800Mhz antenna. I will say there is a definite improvement in reception using the Radio Shack antenna over the stock one for listening to the Colorado DTRS at least. If you go with the 800 and will be primarily listening to agencies on DTRS, I would definitely spend the $20 and pick one up.
Hmmmmm... Kinda figured that a GRE product would `like' another GRE product. {GRIN!}

Quote:
Biggest negatives I've found are just personal preferences - I prefer a volume knob on top as opposed to the up/down buttons, and a keypad lock would be useful as on occasion I accidentally lock out channels.
While I like the up/dn buttons because they make it easier to go to a particular setting quickly GRE, at least on the 700 and apparently the 800 too, kinda slipped up by making the jumps between the various levels too `wide'. A top mounted `analog' volume control *would* definitely be nice compared to the existing `digital' up/dn control, IMHO, given the present control's deficit of choices. As for a keypad `lockout'... While I haven't, yet, had any `mis-adventures' with my 700 I still would kinda like *some* sort of `lockout' so that I could avoid having any. Oh, well...

While I have seen assorted scanners that have come quite close to getting everything `right' no one has, yet, to actually make a `perfect' scanner for everyone. I guess that is why `scanaholics' keep on buying new ones all the time? {VB GRIN!}

I guess that once I get caught up on a few other `necessities?' already on my `plate' I'll be getting myself an 800. {WAN GRIN!}