Fire in Johnstown

Status
Not open for further replies.

epbernstein

There is what sounds like a major fire in/near Johnstown. MAC-6 is active, as is Weld fire. Mutual aid from Windsor, Berthoud, and others. First time I've heard MAC active since I loaded it. Sounds like a serious situation.

Last edited:

kdcarpen

Premium Subscriber
berthoud,milikan,greeley on scene. some activity is also on fg2

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
epbernstein said:
There is what sounds like a major fire in/near Johnstown. MAC-6 is active, as is Weld fire. Mutual aid from Windsor, Berthoud, and others. First time I've heard MAC active since I loaded it. Sounds like a serious situation.

We paged it about 0015hrs to all our members and was certainly a major mutual aid event, FG 2 was still active even this am on my drive to work.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
epbernstein said:

WELD COUNTY - Firefighters worked through the early morning hours Monday to put out a fire at the Johnstown Feed and Seed building.

The fire started around 11 p.m. inside the building. Witnesses said they heard multiple explosions before the fire started.

Officials used reverse 911 to notify 50 residences south of the building to evacuate their homes. They were allowed back to their homes about four hours later.

Firefighters have not been able to enter the building because of a collapsed grain elevator. They have been pouring water on it from above.

The fire was nearly extinguished by 9 a.m.

A special evacuation crew was called in to tear metal away, allowing firefighters to get inside.

No injuries have been reported in the fire and officials have not determined a cause of the blaze.

epbernstein

jimmnn said:
WELD COUNTY - Firefighters worked through the early morning hours Monday to put out a fire at the Johnstown Feed and Seed building.

The fire started around 11 p.m. inside the building. Witnesses said they heard multiple explosions before the fire started.

Officials used reverse 911 to notify 50 residences south of the building to evacuate their homes. They were allowed back to their homes about four hours later.

Firefighters have not been able to enter the building because of a collapsed grain elevator. They have been pouring water on it from above.

The fire was nearly extinguished by 9 a.m.

A special evacuation crew was called in to tear metal away, allowing firefighters to get inside.

No injuries have been reported in the fire and officials have not determined a cause of the blaze.

Thanks, I got the video clip off the 9News Web site when I got up this morning. Sounds like quite a mess...

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
epbernstein said:
Thanks, I got the video clip off the 9News Web site when I got up this morning. Sounds like quite a mess...

MAC 1 is also being used currently for a manhunt in Arvada/Jeffco.

Certainly worth keeping those id's programmed in.

Jim<

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
It sounds like they *finally*, 6 Oct 16:00hrs, have it completely `knocked down' for the most part. The morning after they were paged out for some `flames showing' and they have been back on site several other times between then and now as assorted `hot spots' either flared up or were discovered.

Not only were they dealing with the `usual stuff' that one sees at elevators like this but they also had underground `dry' storage and several `below grade' / underground mollasses tanks they had to deal with. This situation was one of those `nightmares' that everyone who deals with Ag knows can happen but constantly prays doesn't.

I listened to almost all of the incident the first day and I am impressed at how well, and how professionally, it went and was handled given how many agencies ended up involved! While this is going to leave quite a mark upon Johnstown it isn't going to be what it could have been because of the efforts of all involved.

epbernstein

Halfpint said:
It sounds like they *finally*, 6 Oct 16:00hrs, have it completely `knocked down' for the most part. The morning after they were paged out for some `flames showing' and they have been back on site several other times between then and now as assorted `hot spots' either flared up or were discovered.

Not only were they dealing with the `usual stuff' that one sees at elevators like this but they also had underground `dry' storage and several `below grade' / underground mollasses tanks they had to deal with. This situation was one of those `nightmares' that everyone who deals with Ag knows can happen but constantly prays doesn't.

I listened to almost all of the incident the first day and I am impressed at how well, and how professionally, it went and was handled given how many agencies ended up involved! While this is going to leave quite a mark upon Johnstown it isn't going to be what it could have been because of the efforts of all involved.

I agree. The incident commander (Johnstown Command) that first night deserves kudos for coordinating such a massive response effort in such a cool manner.

It would be nice to recognize folks like that more publically.

Status
Not open for further replies.