Wheatridge and the Lakewood EDACS system

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if anyone really cares about Wheartidge, but heck, I live there so I'm going to throw this out. :)
While out driving around today, I passed by a WR fire truck enroute to a call at 38th and Marshall. Of course, I had Close Call activated on the 396 and low and behold - it was tripped by the engine. The interesting thing is that the freq was a Lakewood EDACS channel. So it appears that, at least some if not all WR fire are actually using the Lakewood system already. Everything still appears to be simulcast on the current WR MOT system. Not sure if the PD is in the same situation or not.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
In the past several weeks it sounds like portables are on the Lakewood EDACS system and mobiles are on their Motorola system.

I believe the moto system will probably sign off by year's end barring any EDACS issues.

Phil.
MNN-100

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
captaincraig44 said:
Not sure if anyone really cares about Wheartidge, but heck, I live there so I'm going to throw this out. :)
While out driving around today, I passed by a WR fire truck enroute to a call at 38th and Marshall. Of course, I had Close Call activated on the 396 and low and behold - it was tripped by the engine. The interesting thing is that the freq was a Lakewood EDACS channel. So it appears that, at least some if not all WR fire are actually using the Lakewood system already. Everything still appears to be simulcast on the current WR MOT system. Not sure if the PD is in the same situation or not.

Craig I'm sure you've caught the thread but WRPD and WRFD have also been patched onto Lakewood EDACS for the last few months and it's pretty easy to monitor them that way.

Jim<

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Craig I'm sure you've caught the thread but WRPD and WRFD have also been patched onto Lakewood EDACS for the last few months and it's pretty easy to monitor them that way.

Jim<

Yep,
You and I actually chatted about it a few weeks back. I just thought it was interesting that they were accessing the Lakewood system directly. I guess I was under the impression that all WR units still used the Moto system and that was simply patched to the EDACS system.

Scan-Denver, is the db accurate in what sense? TG's for WR patches are in there. I have not come across any other TG's for the other WR city services or emg. svcs. from the Moto system on the Lakewood system as of yet, but the logic is that they too will be in the 08-xxx range.

DGroves

Tell me if I'm wrong, but how badly does lakewoods edacs system suck. Everyone's talking about Aurora's, but for me, on my pro 96, I get aurora a heck of a lot better. It seems like there is a lot of interference on freq 3 and 4. Even when I turn on my attenuator it doesn't jump channels on freq 4.

Also, I'm saving right now for a new digital scanner. Does that new black bearcat recieve digital control channels better then the pro96? That would be the whole reason for the purchase? Anyone have one or the other bearcat digital?

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
DGroves said:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but how badly does lakewoods edacs system suck. Everyone's talking about Aurora's, but for me, on my pro 96, I get aurora a heck of a lot better. It seems like there is a lot of interference on freq 3 and 4. Even when I turn on my attenuator it doesn't jump channels on freq 4.

The issue iwth Lakewood is that there are some DTRS control channels adjacent to the freqs for their EDACS. The scanners are not tight enough to reject that adjacent channel interference and so, you do get some hang-ups when listening to Lakewood. Happened on my "old" PRO-96 and still happens on the 396. Just have to deal with it for now, but things will probably change when rebanding starts to shuffle freqs on both systems.

Scan-Denver - It looks accurate to me. I don't monitor it very often, but when I do, it seems that the data is accurate and the radio tracks it fine.

luke-1

DGroves said:

Also, I'm saving right now for a new digital *******. Does that new black bearcat recieve digital control channels better then the pro96? That would be the whole reason for the purchase? Anyone have one or the other bearcat digital?

My suggestion: The Pro-96 does alot better on the multi-site Colorado DTRS. The voice on digital is 100% better. I have both, but I rarely use the Uniden for digital.

Luke

eyes00only

luke-1 said:
My suggestion: The Pro-96 does alot better on the multi-site Colorado DTRS. The voice on digital is 100% better. I have both, but I rarely use the Uniden for digital.

Luke

Just curious, what DO you use the super expensive 396 for?

Jerry

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
eyes00only said:
Just curious, what DO you use the super expensive 396 for?

Jerry

Just some people needing to have all the newest, best and most expensive toys.

But those folks are lucky there will be an $800.00 scanner soon available for them.

Jim<

rckydenver

Wondering if anyone might be having problems with there Pro-96 like me? On the Lakewood and WR system my radio locks on the Freq of 867.2250 and takes awhile to release. Sounds like some interference or something..I have the Pro-2096 nothing there and the same for the BC-396T..Just on the Pro-96.. Thanks

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rckydenver said:
Wondering if anyone might be having problems with there Pro-96 like me? On the Lakewood and WR system my radio locks on the Freq of 867.2250 and takes awhile to release. Sounds like some interference or something..I have the Pro-2096 nothing there and the same for the BC-396T..Just on the Pro-96.. Thanks

No problems here. Monitoring them all 5 by 5.

Jim<

rckydenver

Thanks Jim, must be my radio maybe due for a tune-up..Yesterday it did and i decided to clear everything and reprogram the radio and then again this morning it started to hang up on that freq....Also off topic here, i orded that USB cable from GRE and what is that other cable for? Thanks..

utlchris

Yes, Wheat Ridge is now on the Lakewood system. Both Police & Fire. I'm not sure about simulcast on Motorola but I would imagine that will be gone in the future.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
utlchris said:
Yes, Wheat Ridge is now on the Lakewood system. Both Police & Fire. I'm not sure about simulcast on Motorola but I would imagine that will be gone in the future.

The MOT system was taken off the air as soon as the swich was made in late Dec. Literally within hours, if even that long.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
rckydenver said:

I'm not having the problem you are, recently at least. However, 867.225 is adjacent to 867.2375 which is a freq coming off the Mt. Thorodin tower of the DTRS. I will sometimes have problems when monitoring the Lakewood system due to adjacent DTRS comms. The 96 isn't as selective as commercial grade radios, so we can occasionally get bleed through with strong adjacent signals.

Last edited:

RISC777

DGroves said:
Aurora's I can get on the 396 or a 796 nicely. It used to be that Denver's had serious intermittent static, and Lakewood / Westminster had a little but not much. Now, Lakewood is by far the worse. The 396 side by side with a 796 has some static, but nothing like the 796. Mobile, with my little Larsen, they're all clear, so it's a geographical thing (or a stinking Nextel tower addition or similar thing.) Westminster is second runner up, Denver is third with less but still intermittent static. (Very early this morning they stated work was being done on their system.) In fact, I took that 796 off the discone feed and put the stock antenna onto it...lol. .......Aurora? For me is clean and clear. And all this on all four EDACS started "acting up" about 3 weeks ago or so. So if a Nextel tower went up near me or whatever, it's been a pain going through all the cables, ports, etc. to see if it's my equipment or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.