Kremmling Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Don't know how close folks follow the state system but Site 256 CC of 867.7625 Blue Ridge is currently showing off-the-air “Failed”.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Don't know how close folks follow the state system but Site 256 CC of 867.7625 Blue Ridge is currently showing off-the-air “Failed”.

Jim<

Blue Ridge is still down as of 1800hrs Saturday and Lake Hill is not linked and all the out of area users are getting busy signals when they try to use there DTRS radios at the statewide EMS conference in Keystone this weekend, great sales pitch for the new “”statewide system””

Jim<

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
jimmnn said:
Blue Ridge is still down as of 1800hrs Saturday and Lake Hill is not linked and all the out of area users are getting busy signals when they try to use there DTRS radios at the statewide EMS conference in Keystone this weekend, great sales pitch for the new “”statewide system””

Jim<

They are getting busies - and that means that there are neighboring sites backfilling the system, so communications are possible. Capacity may not be there, but users can still communicate as they get released from the busy queue. Good thing that there is a statewide system with numerous sites. If the system was depending on that single site, there wouldn't be the coverage available to fill in for the failure.

...and the other 100+ sites continue trolling along like champs as they do for MOST of the time, successfully processing several MILLION calls per month. Go DTRS! :)

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
greenthumb said:
They are getting busies - and that means that there are neighboring sites backfilling the system, so communications are possible. Capacity may not be there, but users can still communicate as they get released from the busy queue. Good thing that there is a statewide system with numerous sites. If the system was depending on that single site, there wouldn't be the coverage available to fill in for the failure.

...and the other 100+ sites continue trolling along like champs as they do for MOST of the time, successfully processing several MILLION calls per month. Go DTRS! :)

Actually not really as Blue Ridge is needed to link into Lake Hill and now that we are going on 3 days with out power to Blue Ridge no link is available also no backfill available up this way and in many areas of the state until additional towers are constructed and thats why this Summit County area will not be moving to DTRS till at least June 2006.

Jim<

rfburns

It has nothing to do with the busy que. There's no path back to the zone controller. Lake Hill microwave is a spur from Grouse and without Blue Ridge microwave working in the middle, there's no path. Too bad there's no money to tie into the I-70 fiber running down the median which is only about a 1/4 mile away. It 's good for the Front Range folks who control the money to see what's happening once you go thru the Tunnel. Where's Sen Grossman when you need him?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Actually not really as Blue Ridge is needed to link into Lake Hill and now that we are going on 3 days with out power to Blue Ridge

Okay, so the problem isn't the DTRS, but the power provider, right?

no link is available also no backfill available up this way

You said that users are getting busies, and busies are not possible without coverage. If they're getting busies, then they are getting coverage on the system from somewhere. There are several sites nearby, e.g. Copper Mountain, Mines, and Vail PHQ.

and in many areas of the state until additional towers are constructed and thats why this Summit County area will not be moving to DTRS till at least June 2006.

...and there are a BOATLOAD of sites that will be coming online. I saw a PowerPoint presentation on CCNC's web site from this past year's APCO conference and it showed a coverage map of what the system currently has and what the coverage will be when all of the sites are built out that are funded, and the coverage will increase dramatically in the near future.

My overall point is that people in this forum are quick to talk bad about the DTRS and nobody's given a compelling reason why. It's a system that has great reliability and the coverage is ever-expanding.

Last edited:

yooperinco

jimmnn said:
and in many areas of the state until additional towers are constructed and thats why this Summit County area will not be moving to DTRS till at least June 2006.

Jim<

Clear Creek will not go to DTRS because of lack of coverage. Even the state troopers here complain about the DTRS system.

rfburns

The equipment destined for PHQ was moved to Beaver Creek. Copper Mtn has not been built. Coverage off of Mines is worthless. All you have to do is watch the software and you'll see one or two radios affiliated with Mines and at the same time over 500 with Lookout and 3-400 on Squaw. The users in the Winter Park area are always complaining about the coverage from Mines.

The projected coverage map is based on additional funding and grants in 2006, 2007 and 2008. In the meantime W Slope coverage leaves an awful to be desired. Almost everyday you hear users saying they wish they could have their old VHF radios back. You can't count how many times a day dispatchers tell Troopers to switch to their VHF radios because they can't understand them on DTR.

Until someone comes up with a solution to Faded Reference Sensitivity issues caused by multipath the high BERs will be there and you'll hear the dispatcher constantly saying "repeat you went digital". How much have the new panel antennas at Castle Pk helped with multipath? I don't think very much and will they survive the Winter at Castle. Icom and Kenwood seem to be working on the issue, but that doesn't help everyone with Motorola radios.

Interoperability is the other big issue. When the Jeffco SWAT team went to Grand Co they couldn't talk to anyone. When CDOT snowplows from Metro Denver get sent to Summit Co to assist, they can't talk to the mountain CDOT plows and the examples go on and on. Perhaps a lot of that will go away in four years, but for now it is a big, big issue.

Thayne

If I live long enough, it will be interesting to see how Wyomings' VHF will work as compared to the 800 DTRS in Colo. I have always thought that sometimes "Less is more"

Since referendum C passsed, maybe they will siphon off some of that dough to speed up DTRS completion.

Thayne

Dear Master

It just hit me--You must be Gov Owens son or Beauprez's daughter; Or maybe a AAA guy turned bureaucrat like Dan Hopkins

You MUST enlighten us about the sites!!

And last but not least, be happy because Ref C passed

rfburns

Dan learned when he was in the radio biz prior to AAA. Which station was that? That was so many years ago now that I can't remember. I just remember it was one of the smaller players in the market.

Thayne

I think you're right.

That means you remember Don Martin, Bob Scott, etc.

Bob called me a few months back & I recognized his voice instantly--it was like a blast from the past on KHOW!

How about "Roy the Bellboy"; Pogo Pogue; Jay Mack??

Status
Not open for further replies.