Introducing Nextel like Zello

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to pass along a free tool we have recently added here to our kit of parts to help us do our job.

It is an App called “Zello”

It works on iPhones, Android and Blackberrys, as well as on your PC desktop. Go to your app store of choice, or simply Zello. Instant talk.

It works on any cell network and/or wifi.

There’s no cost, and once you download and install the app, you will pick a user name. Mine is MNN001 for example

Once you are a user, you can create “channels” and invite people to join. Now you have a radio network that works anywhere in the world where you have cell or wifi service. And it’s all free.

It is a Push-to-Talk technology that works similar to Nextel but adds the group functionality, a history, and many more options. A click or two changes your status from available, busy, stand-by, etc.

We have created a MNN Group channel for our members to report or discuss incidents, especially when there mobile or on scene.

Good luck, and let me know your feedback.

Thanks Jim<

ecps92

jim, couple of comments. Works Great, but two items.

Password Your Group - Otherwise you will get spammers

For those who get invite requests, make sure you know who the person is, mine have been spammers [easy to define with the middle-eastern writing for names]

The best feature is it logs your Traffic [if out of range] for playback later, when you get the Internet.

Wanted to pass along a free tool we have recently added here to our kit of parts to help us do our job.

It works on iPhones, Android and Blackberrys, as well as on your PC desktop. Go to your app store of choice, or simply Zello. Instant talk.

There’s no cost, and once you download and install the app, you will pick a user name. Mine is MNN001 for example

Once you are a user, you can create “channels” and invite people to join. Now you have a radio network that works anywhere in the world where you have cell or wifi service. And it’s all free.

It is a Push-to-Talk technology that works similar to Nextel but adds the group functionality, a history, and many more options. A click or two changes your status from available, busy, stand-by, etc.

We have created a MNN Group channel for our members to report or discuss incidents, especially when there mobile or on scene.

Thanks Jim<

Thayne

Thanks Jim<

This made me remember to ask you if Callcomm's site on Kuehster road went down during the fire?

Last I knew (abt 2 years ago) he was trying to resurrect the old AT&T standby generator. I would have asked the horses mouth myself, but we had a falling out.

I guess this gives you guys another option :p

Thanks Jim<

Just curious Jim, what do you PUSH for the push-to-talk?

Chris

scannerfreak

Database Admin
You can also map it to a button of your choice. At least with the Android version. I haven't tried the iPhone version yet.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Update: We have begun to use Zello for internal communications and it can certainly be used for incident reporting but pager, email, text msg etc will remain our primary for incident notification.

Thank you Mountain NewsNet dispatchers

Jim<

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Jim,

What is the new name of the passworded group on Zello? Also, PM me the password. I inadvertently deleted it and con't find the info now.

Status
Not open for further replies.