What happened to United Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Last month when we had all those thunderstorms one of them took down United Power's service to a large number of their customers. As usual I called in our `outage' and then turned on the bank I have in one of my portable scanners to try and figure out what had happened and how long we'd be without power.

I stayed up until power was restored and during the whole time I got narry a peep out of my scanner(S). (I had first figured that maybe the first one I'd turned on to listen might have, somehow, corrupted and I turned another one on to check.)

Anyway... I finally got around to doing some other checking and it appears that possibly United Power has possibly upgraded their radios and aren't LTR anymore. However, I am not quite sure of just what type that controller `BRAAAP!' is or even if it actually is them I am hearing.

Could it be possible for someone who is familiar with the newer trunking systems to load up the United Power freqs and take a listen?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
It's Motorola TRBO digital now.

Lot's of UHF business freqs are switching to it from wideband analog at least up here in recent months to meet narrowband requirements by the end of the year.

NCMC just recently moved their on site comm to a TRBO repeater on 453.0125.

No brainer that the sales droids are probably feeding a line about "digital mandate".

Halfpint

It's Motorola TRBO digital now.

Lot's of UHF business freqs are switching to it from wideband analog at least up here in recent months to meet narrowband requirements by the end of the year.

NCMC just recently moved their on site comm to a TRBO repeater on 453.0125.

No brainer that the sales droids are probably feeding a line about "digital mandate".

Thanks! I was kinda suspecting that was what they'd gone and done. {DANG!} "Course since I usually only listen to them whenever there is an `outage' I didn't know that they had gone and changed *until* we had an `outage'! (So much for `transparity' for the members!)

scanlist

On site communications for security Ambulances unlikely. No one knows where their ambulance comm is until they decommission Weld County Paramedics on Monday. It would be great if they stay on the current ems talk groups.

Look for TRBO info in the wiki. It is a TDMA digital format that no current scanners will decode.

scanlist

What is interesting is that the United Power LTR system was narrowband to begin with. What may have prompted them to change is data capabilities.

Halfpint

What is interesting is that the United Power LTR system was narrowband to begin with. What may have prompted them to change is data capabilities.

Hmmmmm... I think I'm gonna have to have a chat with our friendly meter reader the next time she comes around. The last time I saw her I wasn't able to get out to ask but, I seem to `disremembers prezactly I think' that she was using a new `clipboard/notebook/computer' to input the meter readings. (THAT alone should have been a `heads up' for checking my scanners! {OOPS!})

Thanks again!

BOWLERPBA

If I remember right, it was up at Mt. Thorodin. When I worked there, you had to punch a button on the radio consol to key up the repeater before you talked. Then they got E. F. Johnson radios (still low band) but it was just push to talk on the mike, just like any other radio. They must have a lot of money to buy a new system, or some MOTO salesman promised someone a big steak dinner.

If I remember right, it was up at Mt. Thorodin. When I worked there, you had to punch a button on the radio consol to key up the repeater before you talked. Then they got E. F. Johnson radios (still low band) but it was just push to talk on the mike, just like any other radio.

I don't remember hearing a tone to key up the repeater, must of been after the E.F. Johnson radios were installed. But United Power had a decent low band coverage footprint, that I do remember.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.