What is it? Jeffco Sheriff Radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl

This morning I saw a Jeffco Sheriff car with what looked like a radar dome/ FLIR or something on the top of the car. Does anyone know what this is?

It was quite intimidating and cool :)

Thanks,
C

GTO_04

It is probably GPS related. They could use it so they can locate the patrol car if an officer is in trouble.

GTO_04

cl

Onstar, the gps units I've had/used are sooo small, I would hope Jeffco's finest would have better technology than a huge gps dome above their car? Wouldn't they? Don't know.
C

I saw one of these also in Evergreen, on top of a Yukon. It caught my eye, I doubt if it's GPS, it's too big, about 1 foot box. I'll ask a local deputy....Dave

Steve2003

While on a ride-along with Lakewood PD we ran into a Jeffco deputy at the jail. He had a similar piece of equipment on the top of his car. It is an ir spotlight with a camera that has a monitor inside the car. I saw a demo of it in use, it is pretty cool.

Thanks for the info. I heard an incident the other night near SW Plaza where they were using a heat sensor to identify if some parked cars were still hot. I would assume that type of unit would do the same. Look out bad guys!

cl

That makes sense, I've heard Jeffco use IR to catch "badguys" but I thought it was a gun type unit, hmmm now I know.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the quick response/info
-C

Status
Not open for further replies.