Gilpin County

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

I'm trying make sense of the Gilpin County listing in the database since it seems to be incorrect. I hear tones for Central City FD and Gilpin Ambulance on what is listed as Gilpin Sheriff Tac (154.025) and I hear Medic 2 going en route and on scene on that channel. On the same call for Central City FD I heard Central City Brush 2 go on scene on 153.845. I also heard Timberline on Gilpin Fire/Amb 153.845. I'm hoping that somebody who is there and can better hear Gilpin County can fill it in.

What is the channel lineup for Gilpin Ambulance (are they exclusively on 154.025) and are the listings for Blackhawk FD/PD and Central City FD/ correct?

TheKilowatt

Gilpin has 1 dispatcher running 3 channels. So when they tone out a call that requires fire, ambulance and SO they do it on all three channels. Gilpin Ambulance is paged on Green from both Blackhawk and Gilpin (for the county and Central City) as well as Boulder Red 1 since Timberline's district extends into Boulder County.

Depending on the call they may respond on Green, Red, Blue, Timberline or Boulder Red 1.

MikeyB

I was doing some reading on the Gilpin Ambulance website and in the 2010 year end report it says that all Blackhawk FD and Gilpin Ambulance Operations will be moved to Gilpin Green (154.025), which is consistent with what I'm hearing. It also sounds like there are 2 comm centers on 154.025 - Blackhawk and Gilpin County. If there is a toneout for Blackhawk, there will be a different dispatcher that says 'Gilpin County copy the call in Blackhawk'. I've heard Central City FD and Timberline FD on 154.025. I'm not sure if Gilpin Red (153.845) is used anymore as I haven't heard it. It also mentions 2 more repeater sites being added, so that could explain why the coverage is so good.

I hear a lot of SO traffic on 154.860 and nothing on Blackhawk PD 155.820. I used to hear a lot on 155.820 because when it had Blackhawk FD on it I had it in my fire bank, so I'm not sure if it's not used or if they lowered the power and I can't hear it. I don't even hear broken-up transmissions on 155.820. It looks like they only have 1 site but with the propogation software it looks like there is a chance of hearing it where I am, although it is spotty.

Gilpin Medic 1 is at Timberline Station 2
Gilpin Medics 2,3 are at Blackhawk FD

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Blackhawk changed their PL tone on 155.820 to 156.7 last year. The PD is still on it full time.

MikeyB

Scanlist is right - 155.820 is Blackhawk PD. I can hear them very, very weakly. 154.025 is Blackhawk FD, Gilpin Ambulance and appears to be Central City/Timberline FD as well (they aren't nearly as busy as Blackhawk though so will take longer to absolutely confirm). Not sure about 153.845 (Gilpin Red) or 154.175 (Central City FD).

MikeyB

Gilpin has 1 dispatcher running 3 channels. So when they tone out a call that requires fire, ambulance and SO they do it on all three channels. Gilpin Ambulance is paged on Green from both Blackhawk and Gilpin (for the county and Central City) as well as Boulder Red 1 since Timberline's district extends into Boulder County.

Depending on the call they may respond on Green, Red, Blue, Timberline or Boulder Red 1.

Somehow I missed your post but it answers many of my questions! So you're saying that if there is a call for just Timberline or Central City FD and not Gilpin Ambulance, it would be on 153.845 only?

TheKilowatt

Yes for the most part. Most Gilpin county calls (non city) roll SO as well so they will air on Blue too. Central City's district includes non city areas so those call would most likely be aired on Blue also.

Blackhawk also covers highway 119 down to the junction of highway 6. So a call to them for that area would also be aired on Blue.

Before gambling all dispatching was through Gilpin. 20 years later things are still complicated.

Timberline also receives tones through Boulder dispatch but protocol says that Boulder will land line Gilpin so will also send tones. That way which ever dispatch gets the 911 can directly tone Timberline.

So the nature and location of the call determine which channels key up.

soundchaser

Gilpin shuffled around some of their freqs in 2011. I don't think the DB was ever updated.

It is my guess that with the new DTRS tower construction now completed (at least how it looks from the outside), Black Hawk and Central City might move to 800 MHz soon.

Last edited:

soundchaser

Scanlist is right - 155.820 is Blackhawk PD. I can hear them very, very weakly. 154.025 is Blackhawk FD, Gilpin Ambulance and appears to be Central City/Timberline FD as well (they aren't nearly as busy as Blackhawk though so will take longer to absolutely confirm). Not sure about 153.845 (Gilpin Red) or 154.175 (Central City FD).

Gilpin Red is still being used for fire/ems dispatch for the areas outside of Blackhawk/Central City. PL 100. I never could pick up Central City FD from my location.

Status
Not open for further replies.