RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Colorado Radio Discussion Forum

Colorado Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Colorado.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 9:39 AM

Default Re: FCPD to encypt next week

Just another thought FWIW, everyone wants officer safety and that's why we all say securing some channels makes sense.

But I would argue that it's much safer for the public to know what's going on when something big is happening when it's happening. Reading about it later in the newspaper, second hand doesn't do much good.
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

True and enc certainly has not proven to increase officer safety at least in Colorado remember that bus multi agencies were trying to stop on I-25 in Northern Colorado, multi agencies, multi TG's and no one could get on the same page even non encypted I argue enc actually reduces officer safety especially in mutual aid situations. There is a place and time for it, SWAT, Drugs, Covert ops but day to day; that's hiding from your community and tax payers!

Jim<
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Very well said. For some reason there seem to be certain department leaders who are just hell bent on doing it.

I find the idea of secret police kind of scary.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A sad way to end my 25 years of listening to my hometown.

Doesn't affect my commute much but the trend is visible.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

With the Fort Collins Coloradoan covering the news it seems to be very selective on covering some stories. A few years ago they use to put the Fort Collins Police Blotter on their website, that ended.
Even with the Coloradoan having the ability to listen to limited police radio commuications, the public is still going to be kept in the shadow.
Old 03-30-2013, 8:59 PM

Ya'll do realize that being able to listen to radio communications is a privledge not a right. A privledge that can be taken away as you have seen.
Old 03-30-2013, 9:13 PM

Um, did anyone say it was a right? We said it's a bad idea, bad policy, and leads people to suspect corruption, since there's really no need for it on dispatch channels.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierClipper View Post
With the Fort Collins Coloradoan covering the news it seems to be very selective on covering some stories. A few years ago they use to put the Fort Collins Police Blotter on their website, that ended.
Even with the Coloradoan having the ability to listen to limited police radio commuications, the public is still going to be kept in the shadow.
Agree they won't monitor overnight and are only monitoring ch 1 which Fort Collins will begin to take all there interesting traffic to another TG.

The radio is a mere token to keep them quiet, that's it.

Jim<
Old 03-31-2013, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_N View Post
Um, did anyone say it was a right? We said it's a bad idea, bad policy, and leads people to suspect corruption, since there's really no need for it on dispatch channels.

This guy apparently believes it is:
Are Scanner Feeds Killing The LE Monitoring Hobby?

Only scanner hobbyists suspect corruption when police departments encrypt. Most of the population believes the police comms should be off limits to the general public.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2013, 9:45 AM

I see the usual tactic of ENC trolling starting to creep into the thread from out of state. A number of us here in the Colorado forum are a mix of PS, Media and communications professionals along with long term hobbyists and new people getting into the hobby. We are well aware of the reality.

On the Coloradoan. The paper is not even published in Fort Collins. The Denver Newspaper Agency (Denver Post) back in 2009 took that over. One wonders if there is anyone to answer the front door in Fort Collins. Let alone listen to a 1 TG Motorola radio.

Fortunately PFA is staying in the clear and will yield information when major incidents occur.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Maybe I missed it because that thread is really long, but is there a survey or study that shows what most of the population thinks about public safety comms? Or was that just a statement by you (JoeyC)?

Last edited by Kevin_N; 03-31-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_N View Post
Maybe I missed it because that thread is really long, but is there a survey or study that shows what most of the population thinks about public safety comms? Or was that just a statement by you (JoeyC)?
I doubt it. Just a personal experience from talking with people over the last 40 years about scanners. The point I was referring to in that thread would be the first one the link takes you to.
Old 03-31-2013, 3:54 PM

"Police are on a weekly basis arriving on scenes to find out people often suspects have known they were coming because they were listening to smartphone apps, and Hutto said hes not waiting for an officer to get hurt before making the change."

This is nothing more than an exaggerated claim that is on the border of nonsense. Hutto is trying to justify the outlandish expenditure.

Over the years I have met a few criminals who had dedicated scanners running 24/7, thinking they could outsmart the authorities. All of them ended up in prison. They never knew anyone was coming to get them, especially when an early morning raid occurred. There is no way criminals are wasting their time listening to smartphone apps 24/7.

One thing is certain though. It is only matter of time until nationwide encryption is in place and the scanning hobby declines to where the only thing left to listen to will be animal control dispatches and other mundane radio traffic.
Old 03-31-2013, 7:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlist View Post

On the Coloradoan. The paper is not even published in Fort Collins. The Denver Newspaper Agency (Denver Post) back in 2009 took that over. One wonders if there is anyone to answer the front door in Fort Collins. Let alone listen to a 1 TG Motorola radio.

Fortunately PFA is staying in the clear and will yield information when major incidents occur.
I didn't know that about the Denver Post connection; that explains a lot.

I finally cancelled my Post subscription after 24 years--who wants to pay $150 a year to see pictures of certain male Colo legislators celebrating their victory in a state office with a baby bottle on the desk---
Old 03-31-2013, 8:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayne View Post
I didn't know that about the Denver Post connection; that explains a lot.

I finally cancelled my Post subscription after 24 years--who wants to pay $150 a year to see pictures of certain male Colo legislators celebrating their victory in a state office with a baby bottle on the desk---
Quote:
It was founded by Joseph L. McClelland in 1873 as Larimer County Express. Fort Collins Newspapers Inc. was established in 1937 when Speidel Newspapers acquired the publication known as The Express-Courier. The Coloradoan moved from its Old Town Fort Collins location to 1212 Riverside Ave. on the city's east side in 1974. Gannett acquired the newspaper when it merged with Speidel in 1977.
In 2004, Gannett began construction on a new $6 million facility on property adjacent to their Riverside site. In June 2005, advertising, circulation, human resources, news and technology staffs moved into 1300 Riverside Ave. The 30-year old printing press remains at 1212 Riverside Ave.
The new facility includes the Northern Colorado Bureau for KUSA-TV (9NEWS) who is also owned by Gannett. Reporter Adam Chodak and photojournalist Gary Wolfe occasionally report from the building.
Fort Collins Coloradoan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This explains the many 9News 'look and feel' fonts, headers, and Gannett-style webpage.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2013, 8:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Anyone think a longer delay in broadcasting feeds would curb some of the safety concerns of LE? I know that the "weekly" comment is exaggerated, but in this day and age I can see real concern over safety and highly technical "bad guys". It may be a way to slow some of the conversion if there was a delay.
Old 03-31-2013, 9:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The police are policed by the District Attorney, at least in Colorado they are. Is there any kind of formal step to begin a legislative process against actions and decisions made by one member of law enforcement which then become policy?

How about the method this decision was made? Was there a committee that presided in a government-funded facility granting the Chief his ability to make sweeping decisions and policy? If the answer to this is yes, then Colorado Sunshine laws were violated due to the non-availability of the minutes of the committee meeting and the overall closed-door method of decision-making. We set up government for the people by the people and of the people. If it bothers media, the public, and radio hobbyists enough, then action on the non-government side needs to take place.

This is a .pdf document; your browser needs Adobe to read it or Adobe Reader needs to be installed on your pc.
http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_d...HINE%20LAW.pdf
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM

So far i'm picking up the main dispatch channel in the clear. And also there was an update in the article on the 31 of March but really nothing new.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...fic-encryption
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Never mind on the main dispatch i'm logging also on the Pro96com program and seeing the (enc) every now and then in there.
Old 04-02-2013, 1:38 PM

Default FCPD to encypt next week

For a while I was hearing the dispatch consoles in the clear but field units encrypted. Now I'm not hearing much of anything. Are these guys using ADP for ease or are they using something more intense?