FCPD to encypt next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Premium Subscriber
YEAH, I guess the feeds had NOTHING to do with it, eh...KEEP TALKING!!!!!

avery_k

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Chief Hutto ignored all our pleas to not encrypt. Aren't elections coming up soon?
While I understand his desire for officer safety, I think it's misplaced. There are already laws in place forbidding using these communications for the commission of a crime. Why not use them when the use of a scanner or app was obvious?

tbiggums

Guess they're tired of being streamed online. Now no one will be able to listen.

I wonder what will happen next? Let me guess... soon the founder of this site will tell the feed provider: "Thank you for your efforts."

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In the spirit of free people everywhere let's remember Bletchley Park. Now I hope that doesn't give me another infraction for supposedly encouraging some aspiring radio hacker out there to do what he's gotta do.

M

mpg0515

Little background: having grown up in Fort Collins and spending most of my life there, I can say this....

Clearly they have something to hide. Chief Hutto hasn't even given one example of how an officers life has been put in danger....... corruption at its finest.

Glad I no longer live there.

edit: "no additional cost to taxpayers", yea right, prove it, you really think that anyone believes that?

Last edited:

ts548

edit: "no additional cost to taxpayers", yea right, prove it, you really think that anyone believes that?

Sigh.... If your going to make statements at least know what your talking about. From the database it appears they are on the statewide P25 system. If that's the case then they are most Likely using ADP which is GASP..... free.

Spud

FCPD issue

After spending many years in CO LE, I can state that the "officer safety" is a flimsy excuse for such a change. Sorry to hear that the new guy has made a decision that is not supported by factual data for this region of the country.

A large percentage of those persons who have non-traffic contact with police do not have any way to monitor the communications and they knew what they did would result in their being contacted (or arrested) before the officers arrived.

The need for secure comms is certainly different when responding to known high risk situations, such as those that require SWAT involvement.

Officer safety a primary responsibility of each officer that must be constantly adhered to for every task in which they are involved.

This change will have no significant impact on officer safety and will certainly lower the level of trust that FCPD has with the community that they serve.

The Spud

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That ADP is free for a reason. It's got 2 serious flaws. I think they encrypt cause they are like me. I work in a machine shop and I HATE when the boss comes watch me. I make a good product but in my own wacky way sometimes. I can't stand being reviewed nor do most cops I bet. I think maybe 1 tenth of 1 percent of scanner users will take the risk and are technically saavy enough to attempt an attack on ADP if it ever happens ouside a lab. And for those that don't know Bletchely park was where ENCRYPTION was BROKEN.

Thayne

Guess they're tired of being streamed online. Now no one will be able to listen.

I wonder what will happen next? Let me guess... soon the founder of this site will tell the feed provider: "Thank you for your efforts."

Maybe, but in this case silence might be the best option :p

Gasoline is too expensive to just add to a fire

Steve2003

Per the article in the Coloradoan:
"Only Fort Collins police Channel 4, used for coordinating with other agencies during special events, will remain open to the public."

Unless the RRDB is inaccurate, FCPD Ch-4 looks encrypted to me...

dw2872

It looks like they've been testing their encryption on the TG that (they say) they won't be using encryption on in the future... LOL

Kevin_N

Very lame. Over reaction at minimum (don't for a second believe they are dealing with a once a week thing with criminals with scanners in that fairly small community).

At it's worst, hiding for sure. I love how he talks about "transparency". I mean, you really can't take another step to be LESS transparent.

Reminds me of the movie "Mars Attacks" where the Martians keep saying "We come in peace." as they keep blasting the humans.

He has very little credibility.

Kevin_N

Oh, and (not that it really matters), but I will spend my money in Loveland and Greeley before I'll spend a dime in Fort Collins.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The Coloradoan failed to make the case for the public and went with the we get exclusive access to "channel 1". If we play nice.

As an added bonus if anyone wants to read about what we hear on the radio they have to pay to read it. (Paywalled website & print) Bet they hear a lot of "go to channel 2,3 etc" starting Tuesday.

Sheriff Smith really? If everyone else we work with did we would too. Sadly the thought of when one starts this trend others will follow shortly comes to mind.

In any case even with FCPD going away CSP, CSU, PFA and PVH TG's will still yield plenty of information.

Anyone with connections to Denver media might wanna clue them in on this. When Denver pulled out the EDACS card in 1992 the press made a serious effort for access and got it.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Regrettably Phil I'm not sure if any of the Denver media really cares about Northern Colorado news, especially Fort Collins to really make any difference and the assignment editors turn over faster than a tasty pancake so it's hard to get any traction from anyone who really cares these days. Most have expressed the Coloradoan will handle breaking news for us with there twenty hour a day "unlimited" coverage.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.