What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I found this while walking through a park today in Colorado Springs. At first I thought it was an air monitoring station, but there were no instruments anywhere in the area. It was not located near a water-way, so it's not part of a flood warning sysytem. My guess (as it is) is that it's a remote reciever for (not a full blown site) for the city/county 800mhz system, but thats just a guess based mostly on the "Motorola" on the box.
If the picture is hard to see, at the top of the pole (about 8' AGL) is a small antenna that is either a beam, or a non-directional dipole. It has very short elements, which leads me to believe that it does work in the 800-900mhz range. Also, this is on the very north end of Colorado Springs, and the antenna is pointing north.

Attachments

• IMG_6907A.JPG
    IMG_6907A.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 177

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
My vote is an antenna for the sprinkler system, anywhere near a city park?

Jim<

consys

Premium Subscriber
I can't be 100% sure...
But I'd bet it's a flow monitoring station for a sewer. Sniff the nearest street access cover to be certain. Sorry. Working as a control systems tech for a municipal water and wastewater system rewires ones curcuits, it smells like money to me.

Probably 902-928 Mhz license free spread spectrum transceivers sending data to a treatment plant. Looks a lot like what we use. I've never seen a sprinkler with that level of remote control, but anything is possible if you can get tax money to pay for it.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I think Consys is right...it was located about 250' from a floodway, and near a sewer inlet at the street that I imagine feeds into the floodway.
Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.