Greeley using encrpytion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman310

Noticed tg 1904 (Greeley TAC 5) about 21:50 hrs talking in the clear when one unit said something to the effect of "...try encrypted." My 396 flashed "enc" and the other unit said he could not hear him while encryption was on so they turned it off and continued the conversation in the clear. I heard this from the Thorodin site thus could not hear the rest of the traffic because Weld county units are only heard once in a while from Thorodin. Does anyone know if this normal practice for the Greeley units to use encryption or were they just trying things out?
Matt

rickak

scanman310 said:
Noticed tg 1904 (Greeley TAC 5) about 21:50 hrs talking in the clear when one unit said something to the effect of "...try encrypted." My 396 flashed "enc" and the other unit said he could not hear him while encryption was on so they turned it off and continued the conversation in the clear. I heard this from the Thorodin site thus could not hear the rest of the traffic because Weld county units are only heard once in a while from Thorodin. Does anyone know if this normal practice for the Greeley units to use encryption or were they just trying things out?
Matt

Yes it is normal for tac4 and 5. They have the ability to turn it on and off apparently.

Rick

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
scanman310 said:
Matt

Yes that's normal for Tac 4 and 5, you will hear it frequently.

Jim<

scanman310

OK. I had never heard anyone use encryprion up there or down here for that matter. Thanks for the info guys!
Matt

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
scanman310 said:
OK. I had never heard anyone use encryprion up there or down here for that matter. Thanks for the info guys!
Matt

You will also hear encryption on id 4035 sometimes.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Been dealing with encryption in Greeley for at least 2 years. Mostly used by higher ups and TF types.

Since it is pretty much seemless there are some instances where one or more may show up digital clear if they do not have the switch on the radio set to encrypted. The radios in the field are programmed so they will not use encryption even if the switch is set for dispatch, 2, clear and TAC-3 TG's.

FWIW Thornton has encryption on the fly and the adcom dispatch consoles recognize it so in theory Thornton could flip encrypted if they really wanted to.

BobWeb

scanlist said:
FWIW Thornton has encryption on the fly and the adcom dispatch consoles recognize it so in theory Thornton could flip encrypted if they really wanted to.

Yikes! Anybody know if they actually use it? I've never heard any TPD unit even refer to encryption so I'm hoping perhaps this is a little known fact among the everyday folks.

scanman310

Yeah, same here. I have no doubt that Thornton has it and is not afraid to use it but have not heard them use it. In fact, don't all the radios on the DTRS have the capability or is it an add on to be purchased later?
Matt

scanlist

I have heard it in use on Thornton several times on all 3 of their TG's this year and it's random.

Encryption is an option (costs $'s). Greeley was delayed 2 years for poor coverage in the city and was falling back on UHF during that time. I received an anon email that encryption was thrown in up here because of all the issues and delays.

Be glad that area agencies have not gone the encrypt everything route. DTRS supports it and it is not difficult to add it.

Phil.

scanman310

I sure am glad area agencies have NOT gone that route or else we would all be sittin' here with our thumbs stuck you know where and out of a hobby! Left listening to the analog fire pageouts on 453/460MHz. What a bummer!
Matt

Troop

scanman310 said:
I sure am glad area agencies have NOT gone that route or else we would all be sittin' here with our thumbs stuck you know where and out of a hobby! Left listening to the analog fire pageouts on 453/460MHz. What a bummer!
Matt

oh come on...the NOAA weather radio computer voice is a thrill a second too!

eyes00only

scanman310 said:
would all be sittin' here with our thumbs stuck you know where and out of a hobby!
Matt

Been there, done that. I'll never forget the day Denver flicked the switch many years ago. It was a long time between that day and the first trunk trackers.

Jerry

scanlist

The date was December 20th 1992 around 7:15 A.M. when Denver made the switch and effectively shut everybody out. That was their attitude then. And when Etrunker came out using a computer controlled 800 MHz Uniden scanner was the only way to monitor them until the BC245XLT came out.

Looking ahead in 2006 if the head of the EEB ("The Transmitter") get his way the new EDACS simulcast system they are building out will have ESK. And the ESK version of Etrunker and a computer controlled uniden scanner will once again be the only way to monitor them.

Funny how things may go in a complete circle.

Phil.

Thayne

I thought the head of the EEB was a "Her" :eek:

I also heard that a lot of the guys are trying to discourage ESK

scanlist

Thayne said:
I thought the head of the EEB was a "Her" :eek:

Whats with the revolving door down there? :roll: Dana Hansen Superintendent of Radio Engineers

heard that a lot of the guys are trying to discourage ESK
I sure hope they convince her to not have it set. It's bad enough they are trying the same approach of a simulcast system like what Aurora's doing and we all know how messed up their system is.

At least it's not "Closed sky".

Phil.

Dana Hansen, Myron Kissinger, Jon Manna, Gary Pasicznyk

Last edited:

eyes00only

scanlist said:
The date was December 20th 1992 around 7:15 A.M. when Denver made the switch and effectively shut everybody out. That was their attitude then. And when Etrunker came out using a computer controlled 800 MHz Uniden scanner was the only way to monitor them until the BC245XLT came out.

Looking ahead in 2006 if the head of the EEB ("The Transmitter") get his way the new EDACS simulcast system they are building out will have ESK. And the ESK version of Etrunker and a computer controlled uniden scanner will once again be the only way to monitor them.

Funny how things may go in a complete circle.

Phil.

Phil / Thanks for that exact info.

Jerry

Thayne

I remember how ticked my dad was when they went from UHF to 800 trunked. He lost his sight suddenly about 1990 or so--listening to the cops kept him interested in life because he knew the city well and could visualize what was going on.
I also remember doing my best to monitor what was happening when Lisl Aumans' friend shot Vandejagt. I was using two scanners and constantly pressing scan.( No EDACS scanners yet) At that time they used the "Phone patch" function a lot on the EDACS system and it was heartbreaking hearing those cops talking to their wives and buddies that nite--

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Next on the horizon for DPD is DES. And Aurora will get there little system tuning issues worked out in Analog and then "switch" the Digital back on.

We should continue to enjoy listening to these while we can...

SCPD

QRT
Denver already has Provoice encryption on select talk groups and has no plans for that for patrol. They are contemplating ESK, but there is not complete agreement about that internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.