Need Help With BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

USASA

Hi all!

Just ordered from Grove a Uniden BCD396T (to go with my Pro-96).
The software for the BCD396T is not as easy to use or understand as Win96. Need Help! Dose anyone have a good setup for Elpaso County/Colorado Springs.
I want to be ready when the radio shows up.
The more I look at the BCD396T software the more I like my Pro-96 and Don Starr's Win96.
Please attach file to the responce.

Thanks Alex

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Wait till you actually receive the radio the more you will like your Pro-96 even better.

Jim<

jomak

Premium Subscriber
Why do you insist on knocking the 396 Jim?? What are your specific problems with this radio and have you had the chance using one from the most current production run? I've had mine for a while now and, except for the lack of the Pro-96's audio and the putrid factory Uniden case, I love it!! As a matter of fact, I recently got rid of my Pro-96 and have another 396 on the way. I live in Lakewood and work in Golden. I have had ZERO problems with this radio monitoring any and all of the local systems - even in fringe or what some may call "problem areas" around the city. And using the Butel programming software with the link to this site make it an absolute breeze to program. In other words, I couldn't be happier. I'd be happy to loan you mine if you cared to give it another look.

J.T. Makatura

jimmnn said:
Wait till you actually receive the radio the more you will like your Pro-96 even better.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
jomak said:
Why do you insist on knocking the 396 Jim?? What are your specific problems with this radio and have you had the chance using one from the most current production run? I've had mine for a while now and, except for the lack of the Pro-96's audio and the putrid factory Uniden case, I love it!! As a matter of fact, I recently got rid of my Pro-96 and have another 396 on the way. I live in Lakewood and work in Golden. I have had ZERO problems with this radio monitoring any and all of the local systems - even in fringe or what some may call "problem areas" around the city. And using the Butel programming software with the link to this site make it an absolute breeze to program. In other words, I couldn't be happier. I'd be happy to loan you mine if you cared to give it another look.

J.T. Makatura

JT glad you are happy with the radio. I was a beta tester for Uniden so had one of the first in the country and yes I've upgraded the software when those updates have become available but as posted in the forum many times (by more than just me) it's an inferior radio in my opinion for $500.00. My main issues are audio quality and the fact it loves to lock on a control channel and not resume scanning for another, especially troublesome if your mobile but for a Golden to Lakewood commute that might not be an issue.

Like they say your results may vary.

Jim<

Jim<

kikito

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
I was a beta tester for Uniden so had one of the first in the country....

....as posted in the forum many times (by more than just me) it's an inferior radio in my opinion for $500.00.

So you didn't get yours free for beta-testing? The cost shouldn't be an issue for you if you did. And does that mean you won't beta-test for them again? ;)

If you compared the BCD396T to the BR330T, you'll realize that a good chunk of the price is 'probably' due to the digital vocoder licensing fees.

The Pro-96 without the digital aspect is nothing more than a Pro-95 and in fact, the Pro-97 (which I also have) would be better (and probably lot more expensive) if it did have digital.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion and for the benefit of other people I have to ask:

So you're saying the Pro-96 is "so much better" for about the same price?

Let's see, off the top of my head, the "superior" features of the Pro-96:

-- Can NOT change step size for frequencies
-- Several bands have the wrong step size and can NOT be change
-- Won't decode CTCSS and DCS as it finds it without having to switch modes
-- Much bigger and heavier
-- Less info on the display about what you're monitoring
-- Much less memory readily available
-- Won't track narrow band EDACS or SCAT
-- Won't track LTR
-- Less frequency coverage
-- No computer control
-- Not firmware upgradeable (only the DSP)
-- It has had it's share of bugs that requires people to send it to the shop
-- It has had it's share of defects that also requires people to send it in
-- No I-Calls
-- No signal strength meter (at least for general reference)
-- Not as quick and direct access to a TG
-- Only one programmable search range
-- Can't Scan and Search at the same time
-- No Close Call
-- No selectable FM/NFM/WFM
-- Doesn't have and won't support trunk-tracking on the 700MHz band. ( I know you can unlock it but it won't track it and those systems are starting to pop up around the nation)
-- Can only input one Offset table through keypad on VHF/UHF systems
-- Won't track 9600 VHF/UHF systems without having some 'specific' info for Base/Offset tables that you can only get by running Pro96Com on the system you want to track.
-- The list goes on....

And that's just a quick recap, those features above are not just "gimmicks" but a necessity for many and a clear choice when deciding between the BCD396T and the Pro-96.

My main issues are audio quality and the fact it loves to lock on a control channel and not resume scanning for another, especially troublesome if your mobile but for a Golden to Lakewood commute that might not be an issue.

The audio quality definitely is not as 'level' as the Pro-96 but certainly much 'cleaner' in many instances. It's almost as loud in general (especially on digital) and I would only rate the Pro-96 a point or two higher in that department.

I haven't experienced the control channel lock "issue".

I'm still a GRE fan too (have several models including the Pro-96/2096), BUT I think Uniden deserves at least some credit for their innovation and participation in the community, which the latter we never had ever before! I also think the BCD396T is a great radio and there's a lot of bashing from people that don't even own the radio and are repeating what somebody else is saying. If I was to listen to those kind of people, I wouldn't had bought my Pro-96 when it first came out.....

Like they say your results may vary.

EXACTLY! ;)

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The title speaks for itself... =) However, why would one come up with a list of thing the 96 lacks when a 396 owner will never use 50% of these??? For Co. having a state wide system, the need for a radio to search multiple towers is very important. Buy the radio that best suites YOUR needs!

Erik

kikito

Premium Subscriber
abqscan said:
However, why would one come up with a list of thing the 96 lacks when a 396 owner will never use 50% of these???

With the exception of SCAT and not yet 700MHz, I use them all almost daily! And that's just in my local area! Since I travel regularly, I mostly can carry one radio and be prepared for whatever type of transmissions and systems they have where I'm going. Look at the list again, many of those features are absolutely needed in many areas.

That's why I listed most of the actual features that many NEED like LTR, SCAT, Narrowband EDACS, 700MHz, NFM/WFM, I-call, etc. and not the so-called "gimmicks"....

And for those that won't use them, wouldn't it make sense to have extra features and not use them rather than the other way around?

For Co. having a state wide system, the need for a radio to search multiple towers is very important.

If you're talking about the ability of the Pro-96 being able to track all the control channels you put in one bank and separate them by a conventional frequency, yep, that's definititely great.

You can do the same with the BCD396T by putting them all in their own system, in the end that method ends up being a lot more flexible and versatile with the only drawback being having to duplicate the TG list in each system. As long as you have a computer handy, is a lesser pain.

Uniden seems to have listened and incorporated the "multi-site trunking" feature in their upcoming model. Some of us are hoping they could do a firmware update to the BCD396T to put that feature in there but it's 'iffy'.
Now, how long have many of us complained about such basic things that are wrong with GRE radios, like the wrong step size in some bands and they still kept it the same in the top-of-the-line Pro-96?

BTW, just a few months ago I drove through Colorado and the BCD396T performed just fine in the vehicle, with and without external antenna.

Buy the radio that best suites YOUR needs!

EXACTLY! And if someone has many other types of systems and transmissions in his area other than digital, then he should know some facts about the current radio offerings out there.

luke-1

USASA said:
Hi all!

Just ordered from Grove a Uniden BCD396T (to go with my Pro-96).
The software for the BCD396T is not as easy to use or understand as Win96. Need Help! Dose anyone have a good setup for Elpaso County/Colorado Springs.
I want to be ready when the radio shows up.
The more I look at the BCD396T software the more I like my Pro-96 and Don Starr's Win96.
Please attach file to the responce.

Thanks Alex

Alex,

I think the ARC396 software is a lot easier to use. butelsoftware.com. It's not free, but it is similer to Win96 and more user friendly in my opinion.

Luke

Steve2003

I have my 396 connected to a remote computer at my parents house in Highlands Ranch so I can remotely monitor it from Boulder. As far as I know of, there is no way to remotely control the pro-96.

MikeyB

kikito said:
If you're talking about the ability of the Pro-96 being able to track all the control channels you put in one bank and separate them by a conventional frequency, yep, that's definititely great.

You can do the same with the BCD396T by putting them all in their own system, in the end that method ends up being a lot more flexible and versatile with the only drawback being having to duplicate the TG list in each system. As long as you have a computer handy, is a lesser pain.

Reading this, I have a question about my Pro96. I have my banks set up so I have 5 fire banks (which I listen to the most). They have the Lookout Mtn, Thorodin Mtn, Buckhorn Mtn, Bald Mtn and Horseshoe sites. Can I put all five in a bank (say as channels 100, 101, 102, 103 and 104) and hear traffic for any of the fire talkgroups? For example, Loveland Fire goes to talkgroups on the call. Sometimes I can hear them on Buckhorn but not Bald Mtn or vice versa. If I had them all on a bank, would I hear it no matter what? Right now I have all three of the Northern Colorado towers I mentioned in different banks and I scan all three until I know what tower it will be found on. I was under the impression that it would only lock onto the strongest control channel.

Thanks,

Michael

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
What's up with the out of staters blowing up anytime someone mentions the 396T doesn't cut it for the COLORADO system. Seems that we have a bad case of uniden fanboys working overtime and stirring the pot. The fact of the matter is the radio does NOT meet the expectations of some power users.

I've been noted as harsh in the past on the PRO-96 for several issues and was hoping the 396T would improve upon it's predecessor 296D and give the PRO-96 a run for it's money. I gave it a shot and was extremely DISAPPOINTED in the 396T's performance .

The audio AGC and brain death on P25 control channels and now some reports of it happening on EDACS sytems as well when the CC signal fades or switches is unacceptable. It's no good for use during commutes.

Of course if you are happy with your radio more power to you. At $500+ some of us expect better than what uniden has delivered. GRE needs some improvement as well but at least the radio does not go brain dead when needing to rescan for an active CC.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
Reading this, I have a question about my Pro96. I have my banks set up so I have 5 fire banks (which I listen to the most). They have the Lookout Mtn, Thorodin Mtn, Buckhorn Mtn, Bald Mtn and Horseshoe sites. Can I put all five in a bank (say as channels 100, 101, 102, 103 and 104) and hear traffic for any of the fire talkgroups? For example, Loveland Fire goes to talkgroups on the call. Sometimes I can hear them on Buckhorn but not Bald Mtn or vice versa. If I had them all on a bank, would I hear it no matter what? Right now I have all three of the Northern Colorado towers I mentioned in different banks and I scan all three until I know what tower it will be found on. I was under the impression that it would only lock onto the strongest control channel.

Thanks,

Michael

Yes you can certainly put more than one control channel in each bank, would be a pretty limited radio if you could not.

Have you looked at any of the many sample win96 files for Colorado most have multiple control channels per group.

Jim<

kikito

Premium Subscriber
scanlist said:
What's up with the out of staters blowing up anytime someone mentions the 396T doesn't cut it for the COLORADO system.

Some of you are the ones that "blow a gasket" everytime someone compliments the BCD396T.

Is NOT about the "out of staters", please! This is a nationwide almost worldwide website. The reason many "out of staters" come across posts like this is because a) There's a handy little feature called "New Posts" that you click on it and shows you all the new messages since last time you were here, regardless of what forum they're in and b) because many "out of staters" don't confine themselves to one state all the time.

The Pro-96 is MUCH farther away from meeting power users needs (especially for the same price). In fact, real power users don't have, use or depend only on one radio.

Like I said earlier, I used my BCD396T (along with my Pro-96) throughout YOUR state for several days without any of the problems some of you talk about here.

Apologies to the original poster "USASA" for hijacking the thread.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
Some of you are the ones that "blow a gasket" everytime someone compliments the BCD396T.

Is NOT about the "out of staters", please! This is a nationwide almost worldwide website. The reason many "out of staters" come across posts like this is because a) There's a handy little feature called "New Posts" that you click on it and shows you all the new messages since last time you were here, regardless of what forum they're in and b) because many "out of staters" don't confine themselves to one state all the time.

The Pro-96 is MUCH farther away from meeting power users needs (especially for the same price). In fact, real power users don't have, use or depend only on one radio.

Like I said earlier, I used my BCD396T (along with my Pro-96) throughout YOUR state for several days without any of the problems some of you talk about he
Apologies to the original poster "USASA" for hijacking the thread.

Yes for several days try it for several weeks or months Mr. North Pole (would be nice to sign posts with a name) and you would have one additional paperweight like many of us.

Hey guys maybe it's also because Colorado is one of the most active forums on RR, why we get so many outsiders posting.

Jim<

kikito

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Yes for several days try it for several weeks or months Mr. North Pole (would be nice to sign posts with a name)

I would sign my name but what's the difference? I use my real name in all my emails but what's the difference? If you really want to find more about me, is real easy to find out in this same website and even I can tell you but again, what's the difference?

You better not start getting personal with this, I'll tell you right now!

Hey guys maybe it's also because Colorado is one of the most active forums on RR, why we get so many outsiders posting.

Jim<

Oh yeah, real "mature", not only try to make it personal but make it about Colorado.....

I stated the facts about one scanner without attacking or insulting anybody and somehow you're twisting it into this? Give me a break!

MikeyB

jimmnn said:
Yes you can certainly put more than one control channel in each bank, would be a pretty limited radio if you could not.

Have you looked at any of the many sample win96 files for Colorado most have multiple control channels per group.

Jim<

Jim,

I have read all the posts, but I never interpreted it that way. I do have multiple control channels in each bank, for example I have Greenwood Village, Littleton and Smokey Hill in my Arapahoe County bank, but I've always locked out all but one of them. I will give it a try and look at the Win 96 files. I've always found the Pro96 useful, but this will make it that much better - I can combine all the banks, and then add the Denver, Lakewood and other EDACS systems, which I now have in my Pro 95.

Michael

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
Jim,

I have read all the posts, but I never interpreted it that way. I do have multiple control channels in each bank, for example I have Greenwood Village, Littleton and Smokey Hill in my Arapahoe County bank, but I've always locked out all but one of them. I will give it a try and look at the Win 96 files. I've always found the Pro96 useful, but this will make it that much better - I can combine all the banks, and then add the Denver, Lakewood and other EDACS systems, which I now have in my Pro 95.

Michael

That's correct if you look at Phil's win96 files at radiohacker.com especially he has the entire metro area in DTRS banks, then Weld County, Larimer County, Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Westy/Arvada in other banks.

Jim<

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
MikeyB said:

Thanks,

Michael

Michael, come by my store and I'll program your radio so you can see multiple CC's on one bank work. Seems like we can clear up four of your banks in a jiffy! This is one of the best features of the Pro-96 for the Colorado DTRS.

You nailed it on the head when you said
"For example, Loveland Fire goes to talkgroups on the call. Sometimes I can hear them on Buckhorn but not Bald Mtn or vice versa"
This is what we keep on getting at with being able to listen to multiple CC's. The TG's you listen to are not always on the same tower.

Erik

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
kikito said:
You better not start getting personal with this, I'll tell you right now!

Oh yeah, real "mature", not only try to make it personal but make it about Colorado.....

I stated the facts about one scanner without attacking or insulting anybody and somehow you're twisting it into this? Give me a break!

Jim only stated this becuase we constantly get hobbiest from out of the area that arent as familiar with the system as we are, saying whats best for us.

Look, we like to hear what other people like to say, thus the purpose of this wonderful website!

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.