Boulder County SO Green now on DTRS TG9100

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I have heard that on and off for the last few weeks but primary traffic remains on VHF as well.

Jim<

nathancarlson

I think from talking to other people (especially hams) we have come to the conclusion that it is the Erie Police Department that is testing out DTRS radios. I catch them on the Sunset (Longmont) DTRS stie quite often, but typically in the evenings. I had posted a month or two back about this topic, and have considered updating that thread. I felt bad because I kind of bad mouthed (not on purpose) the conventional system that Boulder County uses, talking about a "hum" I hear on it. It seems like since they went to narrow band, there is very little of the hum, except on certain conventional radios where there is like a chunk noise, and a bit of a hum along with the audio. Its only from a few units out in the field. They do indeed have a very good system, and have all the Green channel (Sheriffs Dispatch) repeaters linked, as they do with the Red channel (fire dispatch) repeaters. I have listened to Boulder County a lot more recently. I think they sound good on both systems. The DTRS patch isn't always caught on the Longmont site, but I assume those radios typically associate with mead, or another site. What site do you hear them on?

dw2872

It seems like the most common transmitting radio (by far) on TG-9100 is radio ID 385013 and that TG is the only channel that it transmits on. This leads me to believe that this radio is the VHF to DTRS patch radio. What department has radio IDs in that range? That is a big clue on who the patch belongs to. But it is probably Boulder County S.O.

Boulder County dispatch talks a lot on 9100 too, entering through the DTRS side using radio ID 384918.

To verify this just listen to 9100 and if you hear what seems like a lot of different units and each transmission is showing the same radio ID (385013 for example) then that is the DTRS side of the VHF to DTRS patch radio.

Last edited:

soundchaser

I felt bad because I kind of bad mouthed (not on purpose) the conventional system that Boulder County uses, talking about a "hum" I hear on it. It seems like since they went to narrow band, there is very little of the hum, except on certain conventional radios where there is like a chunk noise, and a bit of a hum along with the audio.

Are you referring to the PL tone? I find it's more noticeable on Gunbarrel and Mead than it is on Thorodin (which has the lowest frequency PL of the three).

I guess the patch was only temporary. Green is no longer on 9100 (at least on Thorodin DTRS site, which is where I heard them this morning).

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The TG is directly patched to their console. If you listen to the online feed, which is also off of their console, units talking in on DTRS sound really clean.

Erie has been using radios on the DTRS side for at least a month now and is typically during daytime hours. Heard nothing at all on 9100 today at work. VHF is primary. I would not count on 9100 for primary monitoring at this point.

Green is still patched as of now. Depending on if those that are testing the 800s are working or not, there may be limited towers that may have 9100.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Boulder SO has been on 9100 for several months, there was an earlier post several months back about it. I hear this TG fairly regularly on Lookout, Thorodin and/or Squaw.

-Nate

scanlist

9100 has bee used for various communications for the past several years. This has been the longest stretch for any dedicated communications for this TG so far.

dw2872

Anyone ever catch any radio IDs used by Erie PD in relation to this as mentioned earlier?

soundchaser

Anyone ever catch any radio IDs used by Erie PD in relation to this as mentioned earlier?

I've logged a couple of radio IDs affiliating or getting a channel grant for 9100 (ignoring 385013). I also recorded the audio to identify which unit it is.

329532 Unknown, affiliated but never transmitted

350173 Unit 1002 (ten-oh-two) reporting he was doubled up with L20 (Lafayette PD). That radio ID appears mostly on TG 9544.

350372 Unit E16 (or E15), which is an Erie PD unit.

jfab

Looks like they are now also simulcasting Red 1 on TG 9104. Although the first second or so is cut off from every transmission

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

scanlist

Starting seeing activity on this BC Fire TG as well today.

Note to the anxious folks. This TG is not consistent on any particular radio site so far and is reliant on Fire agencies in Boulder County with DTRS radios being set on this TG.

As is the case with BC Law-1 (GREEN) use the VHF channels as the primary listen to.

dw2872

I bet it IS consistently on the site where they are patching it from VHF. The only way to know it is not consistent on any site is to monitor ALL sites.

scanlist

Monitoring Gunbarrel all day. Random hits. Nice view of their comm center at the daytime job. Nothing on Thorodin since I made it back to the Greeley Jungle.

The point is relying on DTRS for all GREEN and RED-1 comm is pointless until a larger number of member agencies jump on board the DTRS bandwagon. I know I monitor both 5 days a week and I cannot monitor GREEN consistently even in forced multi-site scan. I miss a lot if I don't monitor VHF.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I noticed the patch starting around the 21st while logging Longmont in the Boulder area starting around midnight and stopping just before 22nd. I spent a majority of the 22nd and the 23rd checking Gunbarrel and Longmont and didn't see the TG reappear so I'm not sure if this patch is permanent like Green is. It looks like they were using RID 385016 as the patch radio when saw it on the 21st.

soundchaser

I have to agree with Scanlist. I've done a couple of weeks of logging. It will only appear on a site that has a radio with an affiliation with it. Without many radios in the field, it will be hit or miss.

However, I do think the database can be updated to show 9100 is Green and 9104 is Red-1.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Update: For the historical record, today Lafayette Fire unit 2660 has been talking on Red 1 via DTRS on RID 350453.

Status
Not open for further replies.