Win 96 freq. question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfrench

I have set up my Pro 96 where I have a county on each bank. I am not real clear on which tower and freq. I should choose for best performance. I have Arapahoe on bank00, Douglas on 01, Jefferson on 02, State patrol on 03, North metro on 04, and on 05 to 08 I have EDACS for Denver, Lakewood, Aurora, Arvada/Westminster.

I live in Arapahoe county and some of the control freq. I choose do not seem to pick-up.

If anyone could help educate me on how and which towers and freq. to select.

Thanks in advance for the good advice.

Last edited:

NeWcS

I too always wondered the same thing. I just loaded it with all the ones I know are close to me and added some im not sure of. Be sure to add a conv freq inbetween each chan.

EDIT: If you look in the DB all the Metro area freqs say (Denver Metro). You can also click on the name of the site and it should tell you what county its in.

-Jay

gfrench

I think that is part of my problem, I am not adding the conv freq in between. What does that do.

Although I have a few of them without the conv in between and they seem to work ok.

The state patrol is one that will not work unless you have the conv. in between.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi Greg, welcome to RR.com. If you look in the Database for the Colorado DTRS, you will notice that next to some of the site descriptions (Denver Metro) are listed. These are the main CC you want to program for the metro area. When we spoke on the phone, I remember you were utilizing the web-importing feature in Win96. This is a great feature, however if doesn’t 't let you customize the radio to your liking all that much. You can input the CC's in any order you want. Just make sure there is a conventional frequency in between each CC. If you do not, the radio seems to get Amnesia, and forgets about the other CC’s in the bank. For the setup you have listed. The frequencies should be the same in all of your banks with just the talk groups different. Also make sure the bank is closed! Even if you cannot hear a certain CC at your house, keep it in there for when you travel around the city. Your reception can change every block. Hope this helps!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
lmriggs said:
I need an explaination of what a conv is also? Please?

Conventional means a non Control Channel frequency.

ie.
Fern 154.28
Cleer 460.425
Metro Air 123.025

gfrench

Thanks Eric, that is what I was missing.
Everthing seems to be working perfectly. I have each bank set up with a county or city so that whatever I want to listen to, I can zero in on that part of the city.

I will talk to you soon.

NeWcS

abqscan said:
Hi Greg, welcome to RR.com. If you look in the Database for the Colorado DTRS, you will notice that next to some of the site descriptions (Denver Metro) are listed. These are the main CC you want to program for the metro area. When we spoke on the phone, I remember you were utilizing the web-importing feature in Win96. This is a great feature, however if doesn’t 't let you customize the radio to your liking all that much. You can input the CC's in any order you want. Just make sure there is a conventional frequency in between each CC. If you do not, the radio seems to get Amnesia, and forgets about the other CC’s in the bank. For the setup you have listed. The frequencies should be the same in all of your banks with just the talk groups different. Also make sure the bank is closed! Even if you cannot hear a certain CC at your house, keep it in there for when you travel around the city. Your reception can change every block. Hope this helps!

Yea, What he said. I never was one for words. Thx ABQ! :)

gfrench

Something interesting in working with the group of towers and control freq.

I am able to pick up all APCO-25 departments without the conv. freq. except for the state patrol which I have to insert the conv. freq in between to get it to work.

Why does it work with all the other counties except the state patrol?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
gfrench said:
Something interesting in working with the group of towers and control freq.

I am able to pick up all APCO-25 departments without the conv. freq. except for the state patrol which I have to insert the conv. freq in between to get it to work.

Why does it work with all the other counties except the state patrol?

There is nothing special to pick up CSP. Their on the same system as all the other traffic your trying to pick up. Greg, email me your Win96 file and I'll take a look at it!

Erik

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
abqscan said:
There is nothing special to pick up CSP. Their on the same system as all the other traffic your trying to pick up. Greg, email me your Win96 file and I'll take a look at it!

Erik

Just attach your win96 file here.

Actually CSP is a little different in that they are locked out from affilating with some sites. And especially when they patch numerous channels together in the evening that can make a difference.

Jim<

gfrench

Thanks Erik and Jim for the info. If I put CSP in the bank where they are located (example Jeffco or Douglas or Adams) they will work fine with the 5 or 6 control freq. that I have in each bank, but when I put all the CSP in one bank those same Contol freqs will not work unless you alternate conv in between.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
jimmnn said:
Just attach your win96 file here.

Actually CSP is a little different in that they are locked out from affilating with some sites. And especially when they patch numerous channels together in the evening that can make a difference.

Jim<

This is very true! I refering to what Greg was saying about how he had to put a conv freq in between each CC for it to work for him. I have no clue why it would do that for him.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
gfrench said:
Thanks Erik and Jim for the info. If I put CSP in the bank where they are located (example Jeffco or Douglas or Adams) they will work fine with the 5 or 6 control freq. that I have in each bank, but when I put all the CSP in one bank those same Contol freqs will not work unless you alternate conv in between.

HUH???????????? that makes no sense to me Greg =)

gfrench

Well the good news is it works like a champ and as far as the other banks where I don't have to insert the conv. freqs it is crystal clear and I can leave the squelch completly open.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
With the recent threads about multiple CC's here's some points I want to bring up on the subject.

The P96 files I created for radiohacker.com are configured by county and member cities within that county with best DTRS sites to cover that area starting with the lowest ch in each respective bank. The ability to choose which sites yield the best reception for those banks is how I set it up. It does NOT scan through all the sites within that bank while trunktracking. Somehow an assumtion was made that it did however that is not correct. The idea was to make it simple for someone to load it in the radio and have it lock on to the strongest site signal with best coverage in that order. The option of locking out sites that are distant and keep the closest site to them unlocked or add or subtract to it as they wished. The concept is one of convience not complication.

In personal experience setting up the sites in the fashion I use has worked well in travelling through the areas the banks are set up for. You obviously want a site with the best signal in the area you are currently in.

Adding "Conventional" freqs in between CC freqs does work but has it's consequences. It does add serious overhead in scanning the TG's efficiently. You will miss parts of transmissions on TG's especially if you have a crapload of sites using this method and a lot of TG's in your scanlists. Having a distant site using this method can produce a situation with a marginal CC being locked on to and hearing garbled digital on a weak voice channel on a TG of interest while a strong site in this setup would yield the same TG with a clean digital signal. With digital you really do need a good signal in order to hear it decently. Tracking performance takes a hit even using 2 CC's with this method. If it is really that important to absolutely have to listen to multiple sites then using additional banks is probably your best bet.

Some metro DTRS area sites are known to block some agencies. This is why some sites were not setup in certain county banks in the P96 files I created. Most notable sites are DRDC which blocks everything but state users, Thorodin which blocks nearly all agencies in Arapahoe County, ZAP (Bennett) blocks Jefferson agencies and Greenwood that allows all Arapahoe and Douglas agencies and denies everyone else including CSP.

There are other sites that do this as well and using PRO96COM site monitoring software will clue you in on TG denials on a specific site.

Phil.

gfrench

Thanks Phil. That's the information I was looking for.

I have found by trying different towers and combinations has really paid off. The quality of the signal is night and day compared to using conv freq VS having the right tower and control channel.

On one of my banks for Jeffco I have found I only need 2 control channels to receive everything that I have programmed.

Thanks again for the expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.