RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Colorado Radio Discussion Forum

Colorado Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Colorado.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 6:14 PM

Okay I pulled up the archive you referenced and I am hearing some kind of "squelch" sound, that is really weird. For some reason the audio on my scanner sounds a lot cleaner, I'm not hearing this at all.

This could could be crosstalk in the console, bad cabling/connectors/solder joints, a crappy A/D converter (they abound), wacky gain settings, excessive devices/adapters in the signal chain, or who knows what else. My scanner must be filtering this stuff out, I don't know how or why...

Last edited by natedawg1604; 05-15-2014 at 6:18 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2014, 6:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazierfan View Post
Sorry, guess I missed the news. Try it anyway. Be sure to log in, or try to, then you'll go in with the permissions you were granted. No guarantees, I guess.
Yeah, they spun off the audio side, and decided to keep the books entirely separate and wouldn't allow feed providers to pick which of the two services they would prefer in 'payment' for the feed. So providers got the archives or nothing, and had to pick up the price for the database API separately again.
Old 05-15-2014, 8:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

154.7850MHz used to be their backup frequency when they first went digital back in 1998. You could always give it a listen and see if you can pick something up.
Old 05-15-2014, 8:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2003 View Post
154.7850MHz used to be their backup frequency when they first went digital back in 1998. You could always give it a listen and see if you can pick something up.
Yes, its still used for S.A.R.; its on the right speaker of my feed.

But, listened to my feed all day and didn't hear any DCSO traffic on it. Oh well.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Don't forget gentlemen Douglas County will be doing lots of work as they install there own system and move away from the CCNC. They are tired of the way the CCNC takes lots of money from a few and ask little money from others.
BCD396XT
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z1V6 View Post
Don't forget gentlemen Douglas County will be doing lots of work as they install there own system and move away from the CCNC. They are tired of the way the CCNC takes lots of money from a few and ask little money from others.
Are you referring to a "second" FRCC, or are they moving to the existing FRCC??
Old 05-17-2014, 1:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe there were mentioning and rumors floating around that Douglas County was considering joining up with FRCC earlier this year, but I don't think there's been talk of a firm commitment on any of that. I believe that Douglas County put in a request to the FCC for a new simulcast site in southern Douglas County (where coverage is terrible, even along parts of I-25) in which they noted that it will be part of the State DTRS, which adds to much of the unknown.

As for the issue of the weird voice grants and squelch noise, it may or may not be related to communications work as I know that much of state is undergoing a software update on system. I get this feeling that end users don't notice it or don't care as fire side has been dealing with it for more than a year now. I do find it weird that the issue seems to be migrating from TG 1053 to TG 1033. I don't believe any other dispatch center or talkgroup on DTRS has run into a similar issue from listening and looking Pro96Com logs.
Old 05-17-2014, 7:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Douglas County Sheriff Ch. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire8520 View Post
I just checked my Pro96Com logs from the past 48 hours, it looks like this issue has come up twice in the past two days. One event was today starting at 08:06 until 14:30. The other event was yesterday from 13:02 to 15:04. I don't know what the issue is exactly, nor will I probably ever know the exact cause. Another theory of mine also involves some type of incorrectly setup VHF to DTRS patch that involves their VHF repeaters that might feedback into itself, especially because there's two separate fire side VHF repeaters with different CTCSS tones. The two separate repeaters might interfere with each other and cause this issue. I don't know why it would be affecting the law side of things though.
I was logging the Cheyenne Mountain site on my Pro96com recently and saw that "radio ID 0" popping up and i had never seen that before.

Thanks to you, now I know what that was about. Thanks!

I am away from home so i will have to re-look at it, but I think when I saw it, it was on the FD talkgroup. I wonder if it has to do with a specific dispatch console that has been used on the FD side but now is being used periodically on the SO side. Since the RID says 0, the only way to find out is to ask a dispatcher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-17-2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw2872 View Post
I was logging the Cheyenne Mountain site on my Pro96com recently and saw that "radio ID 0" popping up and i had never seen that before.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Have you ever heard this squelch noise on your 396XT? I'm having a great deal of trouble hearing this on mine, but if the problem originates at the Dispatch Console I don't know why certain scanners would be filtering it out. Maybe it comes and goes at random intervals, which would also be weird...
Old 05-17-2014, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think it has something to do with each scanner delay settings and whether you are in scan mode or held on a control channel and talk group. I have not heard it yet on my 396XT but have not held it on the control channel and that talk group yet. I will try when I am home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2014, 8:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As mentioned earlier by Spitfire, 1053 DCFD ch-1 does this noise 24/7/365 and is also apparent, as it was on the feed archives for 1033 DCSO ch1. Again, my delay is set for 2000 ms and I heard it during scan or held on the talk group. On DCSO it comes and goes.
Old 05-17-2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
I think it has something to do with each scanner delay settings and whether you are in scan mode or held on a control channel and talk group. I have not heard it yet on my 396XT but have not held it on the control channel and that talk group yet. I will try when I am home.

How can you "hold" a control channel and a talk group simultaneously with the 396XT? Are you thinking of holding on a talk group while listening to a single site?
Old 05-17-2014, 9:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes. I just hit the hold button while on the site and the TG I want to keep listening to. It holds on that TG and does not change sites. That is the way my database in my scanner is set up.

Old 05-17-2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Yes. I just hit the hold button while on the site and the TG I want to keep listening to. It holds on that TG and does not change sites. That is the way my database in my scanner is set up.

Oh I got yah; I always run 1 site per quick key, and I almost always listen to one site at a time. In any event, when I hold on Douglas County Fire or SO Primary (on a single site) I don't hear anything unusual, and I have very good headphones. Please try it on your scanner, I feel like I'm "out of the loop" on this one...
Old 05-18-2014, 4:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z1V6 View Post
No mention of the FRCC from me the rumor I had heard was they were thinking about building a totally separate system. That's why they call them rumors.
BCD396XT
Sponsored links