Douglas County Sheriff Ch. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Sounds as though the DCSO channel 1 (Formerly "A") needed to be switched to a backup repeater. There is a loud fuzzy squelch noise at the end of every transmission, and the modulation quality is a little more canned. Yesterday (Wednesday), I noticed very poor carrier and a lot of deputies resorting to MDT's and phone.

Also, I didn't see it anywhere else, but the designations for "A", "B", "C" channels have now been named "1", "2", "3" when referring to them on the air. A minor point but if it's documented anywhere it may be worth updating.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Sounds as though the DCSO channel 1 (Formerly "A") needed to be switched to a backup repeater. There is a loud fuzzy squelch noise at the end of every transmission, and the modulation quality is a little more canned. Yesterday (Wednesday), I noticed very poor carrier and a lot of deputies resorting to MDT's and phone.

Also, I didn't see it anywhere else, but the designations for "A", "B", "C" channels have now been named "1", "2", "3" when referring to them on the air. A minor point but if it's documented anywhere it may be worth updating.

What do you mean by "backup repeater", are you talking about DTRS sites? AFAIK all of Douglas County SO is on DTRS, and I wasn't aware they even had a Conventional Repeater to simulcast Law channels, like they do for Fire Dispatch. If you are hearing Douglas SO on a conventional repeater, what is the frequency/tone?

As to Channel layouts, I've heard Douglas County units use "1,2,3" AND "A,B,C" interchangeably.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Sorry, don't know the terminology. Trying to explain the new modes I'm hearing. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Also, since listening for over 20 years in two locations in the county, I do know at least when things change. A,B, and C designations being used as 1,2, and 3 are, in my observation, going through this change recently. I know you are right, DTRS is the system. It is different. Can you listen and explain, using your expertise, the difference I'm hearing, going to a backup 'system'?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, don't know the terminology. Trying to explain the new modes I'm hearing. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Also, since listening for over 20 years in two locations in the county, I do know at least when things change. A,B, and C designations being used as 1,2, and 3 are, in my observation, going through this change recently.

[EDIT: Duplicate post]

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber

Also, since listening for over 20 years in two locations in the county, I do know at least when things change. A,B, and C designations being used as 1,2, and 3 are, in my observation, going through this change recently. I know you are right, DTRS is the system. It is different. Can you listen and explain, using your expertise, the difference I'm hearing, going to a backup 'system'?

No worries, what kind of scanner do you have?

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Hearing the same transmission, complete with the above mentioned end of transmission noise, on both my Pro-106 and PSR-600 .

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I've been Listening to Douglas County SO Primary all day today, including within the last 1/2 hour, and it sounds just fine. Did you program your scanner, or did you have someone else program it for you? Do you know what Control Channel frequencies you're listening to?

I don't know what you mean by "backup", sometimes a single DTRS tower goes down, but in that case they usually just use other adjacent towers. However, usually when a DTR tower goes down someone posts about it on RR, and it also gets fixed pretty quickly. I don't believe they've had any DTR outages recently, has anyone heard about this?

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Using win500, I've used the setting for 1033 at a delay of 2000 ms for many months. If you try listening to 1033 only with delay 2000 ms or more, you may hear it. The time the speaker is finished to the noise is two seconds. If your scanner is in scan mode you may not hear it. But it is a new noise given that I haven't changed a thing on either radio for many, many months and today it's new.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Using win500, I've used the setting for 1033 at a delay of 2000 ms for many months. If you try listening to 1033 only with delay 2000 ms or more, you may hear it. The time the speaker is finished to the noise is two seconds. If your scanner is in scan mode you may not hear it. But it is a new noise given that I haven't changed a thing on either radio for many, many months and today it's new.

I have a 396XT DMA scanner, so maybe mine sounds different than yours. With DTRS, you "listen" to a specific control channel frequency associated with a specific site tower, do you have any idea what control channel frequency you are listening to? I believe both of your scanners are capable of displaying the system ID information associated with the control channel, hopefully someone can chime-in and explain how to do that.

Just now I've been listening Douglas SO Primary in isolation, and it sound just no different than it usually sounds, pretty much like any other DTRS talkgroup. Is there any way to post a recording of the audio your'e hearing?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I think Douglas County Dispatch has some issues with their dispatch console. I've listened to Douglas County Fire for several years in a row and there's a really odd instance of RID 0 popping up at the end of their transmissions for years now that has a weird squelch that doesn't seem to do anything at the end of their transmissions. I guess it would just be a matter of time before the issue migrated over to the Law side of things, especially considering they use their dispatch consoles for both Law and Fire. I've been logging in the Douglas area and pulled the archives for DCSO-1 just now. It sounds similar to what the fire side has been dealing with for years now with the same RID 0 popping up. I know that CCNC has been complaining about the Douglas County radios "doing data wrong" for a really long time now, and it feels as if Douglas County hasn't done much of anything to improve it.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
GREAT explanation, and thank-you for your contribution; it is appreciated.

I think Douglas County Dispatch has some issues with their dispatch console. I've listened to Douglas County Fire for several years in a row and there's a really odd instance of RID 0 popping up at the end of their transmissions for years now that has a weird squelch that doesn't seem to do anything at the end of their transmissions. I guess it would just be a matter of time before the issue migrated over to the Law side of things, especially considering they use their dispatch consoles for both Law and Fire. I've been logging in the Douglas area and pulled the archives for DCSO-1 just now. It sounds similar to what the fire side has been dealing with for years now with the same RID 0 popping up. I know that CCNC has been complaining about the Douglas County radios "doing data wrong" for a really long time now, and it feels as if Douglas County hasn't done much of anything to improve it.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I just checked my Pro96Com logs from the past 48 hours, it looks like this issue has come up twice in the past two days. One event was today starting at 08:06 until 14:30. The other event was yesterday from 13:02 to 15:04. I don't know what the issue is exactly, nor will I probably ever know the exact cause. Another theory of mine also involves some type of incorrectly setup VHF to DTRS patch that involves their VHF repeaters that might feedback into itself, especially because there's two separate fire side VHF repeaters with different CTCSS tones. The two separate repeaters might interfere with each other and cause this issue. I don't know why it would be affecting the law side of things though.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
As I posted above, the issue Spitfire and I are hearing is plainly heard on the archives of the 'Elbert and Douglas County Law Enforcement' feed.

Thanks.

Hmm, interesting. I don't have a broadcastify subscription so that doesn't help me. Has anyone heard this on Uniden scanners? I don't know why that would make a difference, but I'm not hearing anything like a loud fuzzy squelch noise, and I have pretty good headphones (Sennheiser 380's). Maybe my scanner is somehow filtering it out (which would be very surprising)?

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Hmm, interesting. I don't have a broadcastify subscription so that doesn't help me.

You may not know it, but having a premium subscription to RadioReference.com automatically gives you feed archive access to Broadcastify.com. Your profile comes up as being a Premium Subscriber.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You may not know it, but having a premium subscription to RadioReference.com automatically gives you feed archive access to Broadcastify.com. Your profile comes up as being a Premium Subscriber.

Are you freakin' serious?? Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that...

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Um.. that's how it USED to work before they split the two entities. Now you either get one because you're a feed provider, or you pay for it separately.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Um.. that's how it USED to work before they split the two entities. Now you either get one because you're a feed provider, or you pay for it separately.
Sorry, guess I missed the news. Try it anyway. Be sure to log in, or try to, then you'll go in with the permissions you were granted. No guarantees, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.