Larimer Missing Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mpg0515

Sounds like search crews will be heading out for another day in the Buckhorn Canyon area for a missing hunter. Tommorow will be day 3, I think? LCSAR will be sending twice the manpower of today.

Lots of activity on a couple of freqs that I have never heard used in Larimer County. Like 155.205 their (LCSAR) channel 2 or MRA-2. Some activity on Roosevelt 169.175. Not sure if any aircraft was used today but did hear some traffic on 122.925 Airnet?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
mpg0515 said:
Sounds like search crews will be heading out for another day in the Buckhorn Canyon area for a missing hunter. Tommorow will be day 3, I think? LCSAR will be sending twice the manpower of today.

Lots of activity on a couple of freqs that I have never heard used in Larimer County. Like 155.205 their (LCSAR) channel 2 or MRA-2. Some activity on Roosevelt 169.175. Not sure if any aircraft was used today but did hear some traffic on 122.925 Airnet?

Boulder County also has a search going tonight between Big Elk Meadows and Allenspark for an overdue hiker, but this ones only been missing since noon today.

Jim<

jimmnn said:
Boulder County also has a search going tonight between Big Elk Meadows and Allenspark for an overdue hiker, but this ones only been missing since noon today.

Jim<

Red 6 is the ops channel for this operation. Many agencies are onscene. Big Elk Meadows Fire, Allenspark Fire, Pinewood Springs Fire, Lyons Fire, RMR, FRRD, Emergency Services, BCSO, Boulder Counties Communications Van, LCSO and Estes Park Ambulance.

chris_a_rodgers said:
Red 6 is the ops channel for this operation. Many agencies are onscene. Big Elk Meadows Fire, Allenspark Fire, Pinewood Springs Fire, Lyons Fire, RMR, FRRD, Emergency Services, BCSO, Boulder Counties Communications Van, LCSO and Estes Park Ambulance.

Hiker in Boulder County was not found and has been called off for the night. Operations will start back up at 0730 tomorrow morning. Communications channels to listen on are Red 1, Red 3, Red 6, Lyons, MRA 1 and 2. The operation is called Johnny Lake Command. This incident is in the Brainard lake area.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
chris_a_rodgers said:
Hiker in Boulder County was not found and has been called off for the night. Operations will start back up at 0730 tomorrow morning. Communications channels to listen on are Red 1, Red 3, Red 6, Lyons, MRA 1 and 2. The operation is called Johnny Lake Command. This incident is in the Brainard lake area.

This hiker made it a long way Chris if he made it from Johnny Park area just West of Big Elk Meadows to the Indian Peaks Wilderness area and Brainard Lake west of Ward?. The page I heard said all search agencies meet at Johnny Park at 0730hrs today.

Jim<

Last edited:

yooperinco

chris_a_rodgers said:

What is MRA1 and MRA 2?
What frequencies?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
yooperinco said:
What is MRA1 and MRA 2?
What frequencies?

Mountain Rescue Association (MRA)

MRA 1 = 155.160 Nationwide

MRA 2 = 155.235

Jim<

Last edited:
M

mpg0515

mpg0515 said:

Day 4 is in planning as of this time. Search dogs were used today with no luck still.

M

mpg0515

mpg0515 said:
Day 4 is in planning as of this time. Search dogs were used today with no luck still.

Search continues right now. Operations are on FERN-1 and divisions are on FERN-2. Some traffic on SAR-1 (155.265 repeated and simplex) and also MRA. This has turned into a multi agency mission. Boulder and Arapahoe have resources here. I have confirmed that they are using aircraft today but is limited due to this damn wind. It is hard to hear most of the comms because they are mostly simplex and in a canyon. I am still wondering why I have not seen this on any of the news stations. The Boulder missing hiker was on the news right away?

Did anyone hear the Boulder rescue on FERN-1? I was hearing both missions at the same time. I wonder if the two different helicopters were hearing each other?

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
mpg0515 said:
Search continues right now. Operations are on FERN-1 and divisions are on FERN-2. Some traffic on SAR-1 (155.265 repeated and simplex) and also MRA. This has turned into a multi agency mission. Boulder and Arapahoe have resources here. I have confirmed that they are using aircraft today but is limited due to this damn wind. It is hard to hear most of the comms because they are mostly simplex and in a canyon. I am still wondering why I have not seen this on any of the news stations. The Boulder missing hiker was on the news right away?

Did anyone hear the Boulder rescue on FERN-1? I was hearing both missions at the same time. I wonder if the two different helicopters were hearing each other?

Think Larimer County must be 2nd class citizens or the northern news rooms are all closed for the weekend, no media coverage like Mike mentioned and they were all over the Boulder County missing hiker found this am and the one found yesterday in Mesa County. Pretty strange

Jim<

rickak

jimmnn said:
Think Larimer County must be 2nd class citizens or the northern news rooms are all closed for the weekend, no media coverage like Mike mentioned and they were all over the Boulder County missing hiker found this am and the one found yesterday in Mesa County. Pretty strange

Jim<

Even the local Coloradoan is not covering the story. The Boulder hiker story, however, is front page news this morning.

Rick

fairrpe86

Fifth operational period is going on today with only Larimer involved. They were going to continue following a track and hits from a dog that were discovered yesterday. Arapahoe was working with the search effort during ops. periods 3 and 4 but returned home after being notified that they were not needed to help today.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
5 days later a press release is issued.

NEWS RELEASE

CONTACT: Deputy Clayton Cross, Larimer County Sheriff's Office (970)498-5100

DATE: February 6, 2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

On January 31, 2006 the Loveland Police Department received a report of a missing person, later identified as BART STRAIN with a date of birth of October 18, 1975. On February 2, 2006, at approximately 1:00 PM Mr. STRAIN's vehicle was located at the Buckhorn Ranger Station by his brother.

That afternoon, the Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services and Search and Rescue started a search for Mr. STRAIN with 8 Search and Rescue personnel. The search was continued on Friday, February 3, 2006, with 15 people. Saturday, February 4, 2006, the Larimer County Sheriff's Office sent 47 people to the area. The search included K-9 search dogs, Sheriff's Office Posse members and a helicopter. On Sunday, February 5, 2006, 35 people continued the search.

The Larimer County Sheriff's Office is still in the area today with 10 members of the Larimer County Emergency Services and Search and Rescue.

fairrpe86

LARIMER COUNTY - Rescue crews will reevaluate their search plan after five days of looking for a missing hunter.

Thirty-year-old Bart Strain was hunting in the Buckhorn Canyon Area when he went missing. Strain's brother reported him missing last Friday afternoon.

His pickup truck was found a half mile west of the area ranger station. So far the search has been concentrated in that area, according to the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

Nearly 50 searchers along with help from K-9 units and a helicopter have assisted in the effort to find Strain.

fairrpe86

Mostly accurate, except he wasn't driving a truck he had a blue in color, 2 door, Pontiac Grand Am. A empty gun case was found in the back of Mr. Strains car.

M

mpg0515

fairrpe86 said:
Mostly accurate, except he wasn't driving a truck he had a blue in color, 2 door, Pontiac Grand Am. A empty gun case was found in the back of Mr. Strains car.

This whole thing is a little wierd. The comms today were like nothing of the previous days. I think that they have given up. I think that forensics better get investigating pretty soon.

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Larimer County Search and Rescue personnel reporting finding the remains of a white male in the Buckhorn Canyon on National Forest property on February 9, 2006, believed to be that of missing person, Bart Strain. Strain was last seen on January 31st, and had been the object of a massive search effort by Larimer County Sheriff's Office Emergency Services and Larimer County Search and Rescue since February 2nd. SAR personnel including a SAR K-9 team located the remains at approximately 10:30 A. M. today in a heavily forested area that had been covered in the initial search.

Larimer County Sheriff's and Larimer County Coroner's investigators responded to the scene and conducted preliminary investigation into the cause and manner of death. However positive identification and manner and cause of death will be determined by the Larimer County Coroner's Office following an autopsy. No foul play is suspected.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- A man who went missing for several days, prompting a massive search in Buckhorn Canyon, died when a shotgun accidentally fired as he crossed a down tree, the Larimer County coroner's office has determined.

The body of Bart Strain, 30, a married father of one, was found Thursday in a heavily forested area near Donner Trail. He was last seen on Jan. 31.

An autopsy determined that Strain died from a contact gunshot wound to the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.