BCD396T, ARC Software & CO State System

Status
Not open for further replies.

utlchris

Just buying a BCD396T and a new user I have figured out the basics of programming using the ARC software with the RR subscription. I have uploaded the state system several times and maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong. The problem is that it appears to be loosing the CC, or Just Thornton alone. It will still pick up Adams CO so. When I program using the ARC software with the RR data base I "Select All" for the Site names, then Select "Adams County" and check the "Control Channel Only". Is there something I'm missing? I suspect I might be in a weak area too but can't figure out why Thornton may drop out and others still work or can change to scan to ID Search and it will find things under the same control channel. My remedy to this problem is to turn off the radio and back on to what it appears to find a new CC and Thornton appears to be working again. It also appears to work better if I scan nothing else than Thornton PD and FD. When I drop in Adcom SO, Brighton or something else in the Adams County area is when it usually will drop Thornton after a amount of time. Anyone have advise on this? Thanks in advance!

rckydenver

First where are you at in Colorado? For me i just use one CC i'm in Arvada so i use the 868.7750 for a CC just the one..Even when i take my 396T to work out by DIA i can still pick up that CC.

utlchris

Tom, Thanks for the welcome. So I'm guessing in a Motorola system the CC don't change and there is no need to put in a group of them? I'm currently in the N/E Thornton area close to E-470/Colorado. I just put in 868.8750 which appears to be pretty strong here, but just took a trip into town and it drops off fast. When I was adding in the State system I was clicking on Add All Sites, Thus creating 199 frequencies. I assumed you had to have all of them programed in. Thanks for the info and any more hin's are always welcome.

Chris

rckydenver

What i did Chris, i deleted all those pre-program stuff that came with the radio and and started from scratch, and then using the ARC396T program to install..For example on mine on bank 8 is my DTRS, with that 868.7750 that the only CC for DTRS i use. Also i made a copy of the RR database for the DRTS and put them in a folder so if or when i travel in Colorado i'll use the CC that are in red and then enter that into the radio..Also what i did at one time was go thru all the CC and enter those into the radio(one at a time) to fine out which one was the strongest signal.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
There always is a different opinion I guess, personally I would certainly recommend using more than one control channel while it's not completely necessary take last nights pursuit for example those units for only affilating with Castle Rock and Greenwood Village sites so if I was only monitoring Lookout Mtn or Thorodin CC from my home I would have never heard them. But like they say your results may vary.

Welcome to the list.

Jim<

rckydenver

jimmnn said:
There always is a different opinion I guess, personally I would certainly recommend using more than one control channel while it's not completely necessary take last nights pursuit for example those units for only affilating with Castle Rock and Greenwood Village sites so if I was only monitoring Lookout Mtn or Thorodin CC from my home I would have never heard them. But like they say your results may vary.

Welcome to the list.

Jim<
Never tried the muli-CC there Jim, now that i'm thinking about it, does the CC have to be in order like EDACS? Example 868.7750 then 868.8750 and up or does it matter? Thanks for any input.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rckydenver said:
Never tried the muli-CC there Jim, now that i'm thinking about it, does the CC have to be in order like EDACS? Example 868.7750 then 868.8750 and up or does it matter? Thanks for any input.

No they do not.

Just driving home from work this evening I had traffic on Castle Rock, Greenwood, Lookout, Smokey Hill, DRDC, Glendale, Thorodin, Riley Peak, West Creek, Franktown and Bennett during the 30 minute drive.

Jim<

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
For both the El Paso County system and the DTRS, I have multiple CC's programmed in. Not only is that useful for mobile use, but if a tower goes down, you may be able to monitor the next nearest tower. With the exception of some wide coverage sites such as Cheyenne Mtn and Thorodin, the CC's have very limited coverage, and programming multi CC's makes sure you have all the bases covered.

utlchris

I just removed the CC's from my radio and only left 3 of them and Thornton is working great now. I found a CC that works well at the house as well as one that works well at work. When I put the State system in my radio using the ARC software and the RR auto download I selected all the sites thinking they all had to be in the radio. This put 199 frequencies into the radio.

Does anyone know if all the CC's include all the talk groups? Say for instance a CC tower way south that may have Adams CO SO & Douglas CO SO, but not include Thornton because of the location? I'm thinking that may have been my issue as I still could receive some agencies but not all of them. So maybe it locked onto a CC out of that agencies area?

Anyway reducing to two or three really helped.

RF-Intel

utlchris said:
I just removed the CC's from my radio and only left 3 of them and Thornton is working great now. I found a CC that works well at the house as well as one that works well at work. When I put the State system in my radio using the ARC software and the RR auto download I selected all the sites thinking they all had to be in the radio. This put 199 frequencies into the radio.

Does anyone know if all the CC's include all the talk groups? Say for instance a CC tower way south that may have Adams CO SO & Douglas CO SO, but not include Thornton because of the location? I'm thinking that may have been my issue as I still could receive some agencies but not all of them. So maybe it locked onto a CC out of that agencies area?

Anyway reducing to two or three really helped.

The basics of the system are:

At least 1 user on a talkgroup must be affiliated to (using) the site for it to carry that talkgroup. If all the users that were on that talkgroup deaffiliate from (stop using) the site you will no longer be able to hear that TG on that site. Many times this is common sense geographically. Higher sites carry more TGs, lower sites fewer TGs and from areas closer to the site.

To throw a wrench in, some sites are restricted to certain agencies. DRDC disallows Adams County, Greenwood Village disallows many State agencies... etc. Most of the wide coverage area sites (Lookout, Thorodin, Squaw, etc) will allow most agencies to affiliate.

I would pick a geographically convienient, relatively high site for each of the areas that you are monitoring agencies in (look at the Colorado SCANlist at http://www.radiohacker.com/scanlist/ for a good list of control channels and coverage areas.)

We are trying to get a good set of DTRS files for the 396 up to get those of you with the bricks started, hopefully within the week.

-Mark

gfrench

Mark-

Are you getting closer to putting that list together. That would be very helpful for alot of us new to the scanner world.

I will keep checking, thanks for the info.

RF-Intel

gfrench said:
Mark-

Are you getting closer to putting that list together. That would be very helpful for alot of us new to the scanner world.

I will keep checking, thanks for the info.

Sorry, not yet. I got rather busy of late... I was hoping to have some put together by today, but have not gotten everything tuned.
I will certainly post again when I have something ready for the 396T.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.